Why does Ray Peat like skim milk so much?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think he says low fat, and not skim milk?? You want a small amount of fat to help the digestion process.

Peata

I use 1% milk.

In the KMUD interview I listened to yesterday, RP told a woman with no gallbladder: 1% milk, there's enough fat to slow the absorption of protein and sugar slightly but not enough fat to upset gallbladder.

He also said: Calcium in diet very important thing for keeping metabolic rate up and helping to lose weight. Two quarts low fat milk will provide ideal amount.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use 1% too.

OP
B

BaconBits

Ohh,he said it in the new interview also, did he mention what are the advantages of 1% milk? Why, why is 1% it better that 3% milk???

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
He said lower fat for people trying to lose weight.

Also, lower fat would mean you are getting more protein/calcium per cup so that would bring your protein/calcium up. It also seems like we just do not need as much fat that is in whole milk.

HDD

"Over the years I averaged a gallon a day, and I liked to eat butter, fat meat, ice cream, and thick cream in my coffee, so 1% milk had enough fat. I didn't like the taste of skimmed milk, and the available 1% happens to be pasteurized. In Mexico when I get it from the farmer, I don't know how much fat it has, but on average it's probably similar."

This is from Ray Peat's Brain (Danny Roddy).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
I think whole milk tastes better.
Well yeh. But I got use to the 1% pretty quick. And since I add 1 tsp of sugar to each cup of milk to make sure the protein to sugar ratio is 2:1..... it tastes pretty good.

Mittir

I mostly drink whole milk. I thought low fat milk would not be that tasty.
Then i experimented with low fat milk by removing some fat from the milk.
It tastes good,refreshing and very light. After effect of low fat milk is much better
than whole milk.

dukez07

Charlie said:
j. said:
I think whole milk tastes better.
Well yeh. But I got use to the 1% pretty quick. And since I add 1 tsp of sugar to each cup of milk to make sure the protein to sugar ratio is 2:1..... it tastes pretty good.

I know you've probably got your reasons, but I was just wondering why you are adding the sugar? Is that purely for taste purposes, or are there there other reasons? I just take OJ with my skimmed milk so sugar has never even been thought about, when I have this. For me, sugar is only for coffee (and even then, I actually truly prefer it without, because I hate the sweet aftertaste of sugar).

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
dukez07 said:
I know you've probably got your reasons, but I was just wondering why you are adding the sugar? Is that purely for taste purposes, or are there there other reasons?
Keeps the sugar to protein ratio at 2 to 1. Some people need a higher ratio of sugar, maybe some need lower. I am feeling pretty good on the 2:1 or slightly higher ratio at the end of the day.

jyb

1 gallon is massive, but seems like the very low fat milk is like water. If it can trigger insulin response (protein and milk sugar), then it must be digested very fast.

mt_dreams

I find skim milk with a little added sugar is more refreshing than whole milk. I buy un-homogenized milk and skim off the fat for later use when I make ice cream.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mt_dreams said:
I find skim milk with a little added sugar is more refreshing than whole milk. I buy un-homogenized milk and skim off the fat for later use when I make ice cream.
Finding the same thing only I use 1% milk. One teaspoon of sugar to a cup of milk puts the protein to sugar ratio at 2:1. And also tastes delicious. :)

jyb

I drink some 0.1% these days. I find it lighter to digest, will go to urinate much faster after drinking, I feel less full and manage to drink more in a day than with more fat - I might get less nutrients, but I get more protein.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
With raw milk you can use a turkey baster and suck it out. Save the cream for ice cream, butter, other good things. You can also put gallon of milk in an empty sink, then squeeze the gallon gently and the cream should come out first. I use both methods. Just make sure the cream is separated before doing it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals