Why does my skin burn so easily, what's wrong with me?

julcreutz

History of taking accutane and severely overdosing on high vitamin a foods like liver.
Low vitamin a diet for several months now.

My facial skin and the skin on my upper chest burn super easily. No one around me burns, except me.

People always rave about cutting seed oils improving their sunburn resistance, but I've literally not seen any change whatsoever.

What's wrong with me? I'm getting tired of always being the one who has these weird health issues.

sunny

Do you get morning sun, then just a bit of uvb sun, and then evening sun? Gradually building sun exposure. Do you know what your vitamin D level is? According to Peat, you will burn easily if D level is low . This is probably not the entire answer.

I'm.No.One

What's your genetic background?

Some people are more prone to burning based on skin type/genetics.

Try telling a genuine red head they won't burn anymore if they just stop eating PUFA haha.

I have extremely fair skin that is incapable of tanning due to my genetics.

I grew up barely eating PUFA & don't eat any man-made now for quiet a few years.

I also don't have a vit d deficiency.

I also get morning/afternoon/evening sun.

I also will burn badly if I'm out in direct mid-day sun for more than 20-30 mins.

In the spring I can burn severely even in early day sun.

I have also been snow burnt, where the sun bounces off of the white snow?

By late summer I have more freckles, no tan, & can maybe go 10-15 mins longer from a season of exposure.

I just bring all of this up because you might not be doing anything inherently wrong other than living somewhere your ancestors didn't.

mangoes

Are you really fair naturally? Red head maybe? I remember reading red heads have a difference in melanin processes with regard to sunburn

supercoolguy

History of taking accutane and severely overdosing on high vitamin a foods like liver.

My facial skin and the skin on my upper chest burn super easily. No one around me burns, except me.

People always rave about cutting seed oils improving their sunburn resistance, but I've literally not seen any change whatsoever.

What's wrong with me? I'm getting tired of always being the one who has these weird health issues.
Effective countermeasures are limited in my experience. But they help. Vit D3, Gelatin/Collagen, ive even added Coconut Oil topically.
Gradual-Gental amounts of sun have been my cornerstone in Not burning. I mean like shaddy sun exposure. If its direct sun @ 5-7min per side. Then the White Tshirt goes back on, or back into the shade. Dont shower immediately before or after exposure to retain skin oil (thats where Vit D production is happening).

OP
J

julcreutz

Do you get morning sun, then just a bit of uvb sun, and then evening sun? Gradually building sun exposure. Do you know what your vitamin D level is? According to Peat, you will burn easily if D level is low . This is probably not the entire answer.
Pretty much. I walk my dog several times a day, it's kinda hard to avoid the sun.
I sadly do not know my Vit D level. Maybe it would be good to check that

What's your genetic background?

Some people are more prone to burning based on skin type/genetics.

Try telling a genuine red head they won't burn anymore if they just stop eating PUFA haha.

I have extremely fair skin that is incapable of tanning due to my genetics.

I grew up barely eating PUFA & don't eat any man-made now for quiet a few years.

I also don't have a vit d deficiency.

I also get morning/afternoon/evening sun.

I also will burn badly if I'm out in direct mid-day sun for more than 20-30 mins.

In the spring I can burn severely even in early day sun.

I have also been snow burnt, where the sun bounces off of the white snow?

By late summer I have more freckles, no tan, & can maybe go 10-15 mins longer from a season of exposure.

I just bring all of this up because you might not be doing anything inherently wrong other than living somewhere your ancestors didn't.
Good point about ancestry. To be honest, I have no idea what my background is.
Are you really fair naturally? Red head maybe? I remember reading red heads have a difference in melanin processes with regard to sunburn
To be honest, I used to never burn. This is why this is confusing me so much.

sunny

What about your vitamin A level? An her doctor interview, MEMORY AND COGNITION, at minute 46 talks about the role of vitamin a in sunburn.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2806&v=llrOV5KsJRo&feature=emb_title
. . I'm sure there are many things at play. To my understanding, the body produces the melanin as its needs for D are met. For myself, after years of avoiding sun, I got the app D Minder, and then spent all morning outside in swimsuit until the uvb rays started, then just a minute or two in the uvb sun, back inside, and then spent the evening outside in swimsuit after uvb was gone. That helped me gradually build melanin. I have ancestry from Finland, blue eyes. This winter I took vitamin d drops on my skin , and this spring I found my Melanin increasing quicker than I remember it doing before. I found that HERB doctor clip on Bioenergetic search. You could play around with some key words and listen to various interviews where ray talks about sunburn. Bioenergetic Search

OP
J

julcreutz

What about your vitamin A level? An her doctor interview, MEMORY AND COGNITION, at minute 46 talks about the role of vitamin a in sunburn.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2806&v=llrOV5KsJRo&feature=emb_title
. . I'm sure there are many things at play. To my understanding, the body produces the melanin as its needs for D are met. For myself, after years of avoiding sun, I got the app D Minder, and then spent all morning outside in swimsuit until the uvb rays started, then just a minute or two in the uvb sun, back inside, and then spent the evening outside in swimsuit after uvb was gone. That helped me gradually build melanin. I have ancestry from Finland, blue eyes. This winter I took vitamin d drops on my skin , and this spring I found my Melanin increasing quicker than I remember it doing before. I found that HERB doctor clip on Bioenergetic search. You could play around with some key words and listen to various interviews where ray talks about sunburn. Bioenergetic Search

I'd love to know, but these sorts of tests are hella expensive in Germany.
I'm very cautious about vitamin a tho. I get toxicity symptoms very fast and from what I could tell, I was burning even quicker when I had a high vit a diet

Fred

PUFA diet leads to sunburn. Ray has talked about the shaved rabbits experiment demonstrating this a number of times.

sunny

I'd love to know, but these sorts of tests are hella expensive in Germany.
I'm very cautious about vitamin a tho. I get toxicity symptoms very fast and from what I could tell, I was burning even quicker when I had a high vit a diet
I agree, I would not supplement a, it's easy to get from food. It was just another factor Peat has talked about in reference to sunburn. If you use that bioenergetic search site, you can see many interviews where it is talked about, you mat find something that resonates.

DrJ

Accutane is "synthetic vitamin A" which the liver cannot store so it gets stored in the skin. This makes you sun sensitive. Furthermore, Accutane causes cholestasis leading to an inability to excrete fat soluble things like excess vitamin A or the isotretinoin of Accutane. Pale stools would be a symptom of this.

Your extra high vitamin A intake in addition to Accutane probably didn't help. The solution is to take bile salts to circumvent the cholestasis and begin to excrete fat soluble toxins (excess vitamin A and isotretinoin) again. It's also important to take fiber (eg carrots) to give the bile/toxin mixture something to 'ride out on.

mostlylurking

To be honest, I used to never burn. This is why this is confusing me so much.
My husband used to never burn; he's 5/8 American Indian and turned a dark brown in the summer. But as he's aged (problem got started when he turned 50), he started burning and getting precancerous spots on his face and forearms. He would go to the skin doctor and get them burned off. He eats out at lunch every day. The restaurants all use PUFA to cook with. I told him of the dangers of PUFA and cancer and he cleaned up his diet and slathered himself with 50% hydrogenated coconut oil and 50% lanolin. His skin improved and there was no longer anything to burn off of him (for maybe 3 years). That was a few years back. Now he's back to eating PUFA and his skin looks like he's 25 years older than he is and there's LOTS of bad spots for the skin doctor to burn off. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I think that the avoidance of PUFA is paramount. The mixture of hydrogenated coconut oil and lanolin is helpful. Taking some vitamin E is also supposed to be helpful re. the PUFA. Ray Peat says that PUFA remains in the body for 4 years, if you aren't overweight; longer if you are overweight. It's wise not to consume any of it if possible.

shanny

Forum Supporter
Accutane is "synthetic vitamin A" which the liver cannot store so it gets stored in the skin. This makes you sun sensitive. Furthermore, Accutane causes cholestasis leading to an inability to excrete fat soluble things like excess vitamin A or the isotretinoin of Accutane. Pale stools would be a symptom of this.

Your extra high vitamin A intake in addition to Accutane probably didn't help. The solution is to take bile salts to circumvent the cholestasis and begin to excrete fat soluble toxins (excess vitamin A and isotretinoin) again. It's also important to take fiber (eg carrots) to give the bile/toxin mixture something to 'ride out on.
This. Very insightful. Do you have a brand of bile salts you recommend?

Also, are you under a lot of stress? As Ray often talks about, stored PUFA's end up as free fatty acids under stress metabolism. I just had this happen to me recently when I got a GI bug and hadn't been eating for a few days (involuntary fasting!). I burnt right up in like 10 min, which is very unusual for me.

OP
J

julcreutz

Also, are you under a lot of stress? As Ray often talks about, stored PUFA's end up as free fatty acids under stress metabolism. I just had this happen to me recently when I got a GI bug and hadn't been eating for a few days (involuntary fasting!). I burnt right up in like 10 min, which is very unusual for me.
Yeah, my sleep has been suboptimla the past few weeks. Maybe this could affect it

Gûs80

História de tomar Accutane e overdose severa de alimentos ricos em vitamina A, como fígado.
Baixa vitamina uma dieta por vários meses agora.

Minha pele facial e a pele na parte superior do peito queimam super facilmente. Ninguém ao meu redor queima, exceto eu.

As pessoas sempre elogiam o corte de óleos de sementes para melhorar sua resistência a queimaduras solares, mas eu literalmente não vi nenhuma mudança.

O que há de errado comigo? Estou ficando cansado de sempre ser aquele que tem esses problemas de saúde estranhos.
Lupus and Sun Exposure, dor%2C%20fraqueza%2C%20and%20fadiga.

Have you taken the ANA exam? Lupus and other autoimmune diseases can cause sun-related skin problems. Dr Peat considers autoimmunity to be caused by high estrogens.

Have you tested estradiol, estrone, prolactin?

DrJ

the Dr berg gallbladder formula is my favorite but very expensive. I've tried several other bile salt brands with good reviews on Amazon and they seem decent.

Back
Top Bottom