Why Does My Body Ache When Taking Vitamin D3

Regina

Bunions are almost always a combination shoe/gait problem.
The bone being laid down there is because of the enormously flawed movement pattern that's present.
Definitely not in the category of "bone growing where it shouldn't" the growth is just the response to the stress/irritant
I think I ruined my feet then. Thankfully, aikido is done barefoot or I would not be able to do it.

Attachments

• ugly_feet.jpeg
    ugly_feet.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 52

jitsmonkey

a daily commitment to lots of ankle and foot mobility drills and refusing to wear shoes that are too narrow and short can go a long way to making them better

OP
Elize

Elize

You should get blood tests for vit D, Parathyroid (PTH), and serum calcium (should be part of a metabolic panel)
Some people with low calcium intake paradoxically have high serum calcium due to the action of PTH.
Thanks Kiran - with my thyroid panel my doc does the following tests. TSH, Vitamin D, B12, Free T3 and Free T4, Reverse T3, full metabolic panel, lipid panel, iron panel, urine test for iodine levels. Had the urine and saliva tests done for cortisol levels. Had a stool test done that indicated high estrogen levels. I have 1 copy of the MTHFR c677t gene defect. Am O blood group and am trying to follow Peat but also combine it with the O blood group. I have started to introduce about a 1/4 cup of Lactose free milk and a teaspoon of sugar in my tea per day. I have high normal T4 and low normal T3. Strange I felt awful when I had high levels of T3 and a TSH of 0.004. I stopped the T3 tablets and it took three months to get my TSH back into the normal range.

I think I was put on way too much thyroid meds. 110mcg of T4 and 5 mcg of T3. I now take 25 in the morning and until a day ago took another 25 mcg at bed time. I would have severe body aches and vit D made it worse. I now use one drop of Tironene and find it works way better for me as I use it topically and stopped the T3 tabs.

Following the suggestions of jitsmonkey above ate a big dinner then took only 12.5 mcg of T4 at 9 PM had a cup of tea with milk, stevia and a teaspoon of sugar and ate a baked apple. At 10 PM drank a small amount of ginger beer into which I put a pinch of salt. Took one drop of Projest e topically and slept very well. Awake at 6am and immediately had a small piece of beef and a small potato then only took my T4 and the jitters were better today. Had breakfast at 7 am. Had a bigger lunch today and and am going to drop the evening dose of T4 and see what happens.

Jittsmonkey thanks for your help

jitsmonkey

Thanks Kiran - with my thyroid panel my doc does the following tests. TSH, Vitamin D, B12, Free T3 and Free T4, Reverse T3, full metabolic panel, lipid panel, iron panel, urine test for iodine levels. Had the urine and saliva tests done for cortisol levels. Had a stool test done that indicated high estrogen levels. I have 1 copy of the MTHFR c677t gene defect. Am O blood group and am trying to follow Peat but also combine it with the O blood group. I have started to introduce about a 1/4 cup of Lactose free milk and a teaspoon of sugar in my tea per day. I have high normal T4 and low normal T3. Strange I felt awful when I had high levels of T3 and a TSH of 0.004. I stopped the T3 tablets and it took three months to get my TSH back into the normal range.

I think I was put on way too much thyroid meds. 110mcg of T4 and 5 mcg of T3. I now take 25 in the morning and until a day ago took another 25 mcg at bed time. I would have severe body aches and vit D made it worse. I now use one drop of Tironene and find it works way better for me as I use it topically and stopped the T3 tabs.

Following the suggestions of jitsmonkey above ate a big dinner then took only 12.5 mcg of T4 at 9 PM had a cup of tea with milk, stevia and a teaspoon of sugar and ate a baked apple. At 10 PM drank a small amount of ginger beer into which I put a pinch of salt. Took one drop of Projest e topically and slept very well. Awake at 6am and immediately had a small piece of beef and a small potato then only took my T4 and the jitters were better today. Had breakfast at 7 am. Had a bigger lunch today and and am going to drop the evening dose of T4 and see what happens.

Jittsmonkey thanks for your help
sure thing.
changing up your T/D & diet can sometimes create confusion in what's doing what but glad you're feeling better.
certainly enough fuel more often than not is an enormous help.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks sooooo much. Is there a topical or liquid Vitamin AD and K combination that anyone can recommend?

RKIII

Make sure you get the other fat solubles (especially A and K). The other fat solubles are important in making the calcium go where it is supposed to go. I think there was a study where a lack of vitamin A made caused abnormal bone growth (bone grew where it shouldn't) but I can't find it right now.
^ This. Calcification of soft tissues from D3/K2 imbalance.

Did you test your D levels before supplementing? I take A,D,E only a few times a week. K I take everyday. But try only taking D 1-2 times per week instead of daily and add K2 and see if symptoms subside.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks. I do take K2. Decided to take no supplements for 6 weeks bar my thyroid meds. Have tests done and reintroduce what I need.

Travis

I just found a study on topical application of cholecalciferol.
Topical Delivery of Vitamin D3: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study

It appears to be topically absorbed just as well as enterally. Here is a graph. Each number represents a subject with before and after bars:
vitamind.jpg

Here are some blood parameters:
vitamind.png

The dose was 5,000 IU per day in aloe vera gel.

Travis

Vitamin D promoter John Cannell gives us the impression that vitamin D toxicity is nearly unheard of.
Vitamin D toxicity is exceedingly rare and few practitioners ever see it, although that could change with the recent availability of 50,000 IU capsules. Toxicity is secondary to the unbridled effects of hypercalcemia. In chronic toxicity, first urine calcium and then serum calcium will begin to gradually increase when 25(OH)D levels exceed some level above 150 ng/mL. Such levels must be associated with hypercalcemia in order to indict vitamin D. Chronic vitamin D toxicity results when hypercalcemia goes undetected and calcifies internal organs, especially the kidneys. In order to produce hypercalcemia, most adults would have to take in excess of 10,000 IU per day for many months or even years. Most patients with vitamin D toxicity recover fully by simply stopping the vitamin D and practicing strict sun-avoidance. Credible evidence of vitamin D toxicity in those chronically consuming 10,000 IU of supplemental cholecalciferol daily is absent in the literature. In fact, the literature contains few cases of cholecalciferol toxicity from supplement use; virtually all the reported cases of hypercalcemia are from faulty industrial production, labeling errors, dosing errors, and patients treated medically with pharmacological doses of ergocalciferol.
But this is not true. There are cases of hypercalcemia from only 10,000 IU. This is vitamin D hypersensitivity.

A very small amount of people appear to be more sensitive to vitamin D than others. Only 10,000 IU of vitamin D₂ was enough to create hypercalcemia in a few subjects in a study listed below:
These results, together with the present studies, support the hypothesis of Anderson and associates that the defect in calcium metabolism is a result of intestinal hyperabsorption of calcium caused by an increased sensitivity to vitamin D...In one (M. C.), it led to hypercalcemia as well. Similar results have been reported in previous studies [4,5,9,79].
vitamind2.png
On the Abnormal Calcium Absorption I in Sarcoidosis: Evidence for Increased Sensitivity to Vitamin D

And there is also a vitamin D resistance rickets (VDRR) that can happen when vitamin D receptors have polymorphisms. You can read about that here:
The Nuclear Vitamin D Receptor: Biological and Molecular Regulatory Properties Revealed:

But Cannell does admit to this in his article although he appears to downplay it and gives it very little space:

Vitamin D hypersensitivity syndromes – often confused with vitamin D toxicity – occur when extrarenal tissues produce 1,25(OH)2 D in an unregulated manner, causing hypercalcemia.

Use of Vitamin D in Clinical Practice

And there is a paradox with African Americans, who have lower vitamin D levels and higher bone mineral density.

Also important is body fat. A person with high body fat would need more since this is a fat-soluble vitamin. Conversely, those will very low body fat would be much more sensitive to vitamin D. Hypercalcemia can probably account for the symptoms you are describing.

Five-thousand international units per day seems to be well-tolerated for most people, but I think it could be too much for the very slim and for people who are hypersensitive to vitamin D. Just remember that most of the studies with Americans, the studies that set the intakes, are done on slightly-chubby average Americans.

Another factor could be excretion. The active form of vitamin D, calcitriol, is 24-hydroxylated making it easy to excrete. A problem with this enzyme (or inhibitors) would keep the concentration of calcitriol high.

And you don't need vitamin D to absorb calcium. It only controls about half of the calcium absorption, the rest is passive diffusion.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks a lot Travis. So how does one rid yourself of hypercalcemia? I am slim 5'2" and 104 pounds but South African by birth

Travis

I though you might be skinny. I took 5,000 IU and it was a bit much for me. I'm really skinny too.

I read like ten or twenty studies on vitamin D and like 99% of people can take 5,000 IU just fine. I'm going to go with about 2,000 IU from now on. I think body fat matters more than total weight. Check this out!
vitamind11.png

Adiposity in Relation to Vitamin D Status and Parathyroid Hormone Levels: A Population-Based Study in Older Men and Women
Body fat works like a sponge and causes a partitioning of vitamin D from the blood into the fat. Considering the same diet and sun exposure, lean people naturally will have higher circulating vitamin D levels.

The classical medical treatment for hypercalcemia is cortisol. This mineralcorticoid prevents calcium absorption. Also, sun avoidance can shorten the recovery time.

Vitamin K might help. This vitamin keeps calcium from precipitating in the body by creating carboxyglutamic acid (Gla) containing proteins. This chelates calcium in the body...

The potential for this type of binding distinguishes Gla residues from the monocarboxylate residues, aspartate and glutamate, and confers a novel calcium chelation ability upon Gla-containing sites in proteins.
Model for Calcium Binding to y-Carboxyglutamic Acid Residues of Proteins: Crystal Structure of Calcium a-Ethylmalonate

A lack of vitamin K causes calcified arteries, in mice at least.

OP
Elize

Elize

O gosh I have low levels of cortisol as per the Dutch adrenal test and have been using vitamin K for a long time. About two weeks ago I decided to stop all supplements bar my Levoxyl T4 and my T3 thyroid hormone, wait for a few weeks and have blood work done and see from there what it is I need to take or do. I am doing some infrared light therapy but not sure if I am doing it the right way. We have an infrared bathroom ceiling light. I turn it on for 20 minutes and then lie under the light for about 10 to 15 minutes. I am not sure if it works at all as it may be that the light being high up does not have much impact.

Travis

Vitamin K has no reported toxicity, so you don't have to worry about that. In fact, The Subcommittee on Upper Reference Levels of Nutrients couldn't even set an upper value for this vitamin.

No adverse effects associated with vitamin K consumption from food or supplements have been reported in humans or animals. Therefore, a quantitative risk assessment cannot be performed and a UL [upper limit] cannot be derived for vitamin K.

Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Arsenic, Boron, Chromium, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Silicon, Vanadium, and Zinc.

There is a Wikipedia page on hypervitaminosis A, hypervitaminosis D, and hypervitaminosis E. There is no Wikipedia page on the nonexistant condition hypervitaminosis K. There is no such thing.

wiki.png

As soon as all of the Gla proteins in the body are fully carboxylated, vitamin K has no vitamin function, although it still behaves as an antioxidant.

dannibo

"I do not use calcium at all was worried to do so as sometimes experience muscle twitches and thought it is too much calcium"

I supplement magnesium if I get twitches or cramps.
I have found that the only calcium that does not interfere with any vitamins is powdered eggshells. It is a great natural way of taking calcium. I take it with mashed banana so natural potassium as well. I'm led to believe that these vitamins work congruently. Somebody tell me if this is wrong or right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals