Why Does My Body Ache When Taking Vitamin D3

Elize

Greetings to all.

I find that Vitamin D seems to make me jittery and also develop terrible body aches. I have tried various brands. Could the low dose aspirin I use perhaps lower my Vitamin D levels? Could it be that the Vitamin D pushes too much calcium into my system as I often find as if I feel stiff and movement often has a creaky sound.

Deal with Hashimoto, hypoglycemia and low levels of Cortisol

The only medications I use: Levoxyl T4, Tyronine 1 drop a day - topical (diluted it to take only 1 mcg per day) 1 drop of Projest E - topical at bed time, Vitamin D3 - Metagenics brand and Lactoferrin. I use a topical Magnesium when I wake up at night as it makes me tired and jittery when ingested. Potassium drops when I get cramps in my legs.

Thanks for any sharing.

Travis

Yeah, me too. It makes my bones hurt on only 2,000 IU per day.

Perhaps we should let it absorb through our skin?

marsaday

There is a lot more going on than just supplementing Vit D.

You have hashi's so this in itself can be very hard to work with.

Vitamin D is pro thyroid. It will help the thyroid work better. So it maybe your body is now processing the T4 differently. You may be using too much. Very often when we adjust vitamins and minerals this can have a knock on effect with hormones we have to take. I take T4 and found vitamin D really helped my overall health. In fact i started to feel a little bit worse after a while and i finally figured it was excess T4. So i drop down 25mcg and everything worked better again.

You need to do some trials lowering doses.

I also need to check you have done the basic test and stopped Vit D (felt better i assume) and then start it again and felt worse. This is good confirmation the Vit D is the source of the problem. IF you haven't done this, i would try this before anything else.

Constatine

Make sure you get the other fat solubles (especially A and K). The other fat solubles are important in making the calcium go where it is supposed to go. I think there was a study where a lack of vitamin A made caused abnormal bone growth (bone grew where it shouldn't) but I can't find it right now.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks for all the responses.

Oops forgot to mention that I do take vitamin K. I tried vitamin A drops - it lowered my cortisol level soooo much that I slept nearly the whole day. I do the following.
Oil pulling
brush teeth
Netipot use
6 am 50 mcg of Levoxyl

7 am Breakfast
2 eggs fried in home made ghee, 2 slices of Udi's bread toasted, tea with lactose free milk, stevia as sugar makes me sleepy, a teaspoon of ghee and some great lakes gelatin.
10 am a snack
sometimes a berrie smoothie with raw egg yolk and gelatin added to it as well as some olive oil.
Vitamin D. Vitamin K, Jarro Lactoferrin, potassium drops

12:30 Lunch
two raw carrots and if more hungry a piece of sheepsmilk cheese.
1 drop of T3 topical - Haiduts product

6 PM Dinner
beef, chicken, fish or shrimp, sweet potato oven chips or butternut squash, green veggies with ample ghee and an oven baked apple.
Have cubes of cooked beef or chicken liver 2 to three times a week. I grind it up after cooked and freeze in cubes.

10 PM bedtime
25 mcg Levoxyl
1 drop progesterone
topical magnesium

Have 6 glasses of water during the day.

I struggle to tolerate dairy and sugar - makes me very shaky - why I started with very low quantities. Have two cups of tea a day, cheese seldom.
Tai Chi, Qigong, some weight lifting, walks, meditation,
Main issue thyroid and adrenaline related to low cortisol levels making me shaky, gut issues - working on that now since I developed a coated tongue since peating. Just do not tolerate orange juice at all get severe acid reflux. Even Betaine HCL use makes my throat feel sore when used a lot so only have it about 3 times a week. 5 feet 2 inches, 105 pounds. When I have the fruit or smoothie feel sweaty and often need to sleep for about an hour.

I am going to lower the Levoxyl as it may be too much since my neck often feels stiff and according to my lab results T4 is high normal. T3 low normal but struggle to manage T3 but am doing better on the topical T3.

HDD

Some responses from Dr. Peat regarding vitamin D-

Caller:
Did you say that you need added calcium for the vitamin D to work better?

RP: You need a good ratio of calcium to phosphate, and I think it's really protective to take in well over a thousand. I try to get about 2,500 mg of calcium per day.

RP: Thyroid works in many ways similarly to vitamin D and regulates calcium and magnesium in particular.

Vitamin D - KMUD, 2016-11-18

dbh25

There is a lot more going on than just supplementing Vit D.
Vitamin D is pro thyroid. It will help the thyroid work better.
You need to do some trials lowering doses.
What level vitamin D is considered optimal in a blood test?

OP
Elize

Elize

As per Stop The Thryoid Madness
  1. The vitamin D that you take into your body is changed by your liver into a substance called 25(OH)D. Vitamin D (25 (OH)D) is usually measured on a scale of 30 – 100 ng/ml. Below 30 is commonly considered deficient.
Mine was 49 - Increased the D from 1000 IU to 3000 and gosh my D levels dropped to 27. Not sure if it was because of the aspirin.

I do not use calcium at all was worried to do so as sometimes experience muscle twitches and thought it is too much calcium

HDD

"I do not use calcium at all was worried to do so as sometimes experience muscle twitches and thought it is too much calcium"

I supplement magnesium if I get twitches or cramps.

A.R

You could consider taking Alfacalcidol, a form of vitamin D much easier absorbed by the body - speak to your Doctor about it.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks HDD I use ReMag by Dr Dean topically at bed time and now and then take some Epsom salts in small doses as Magnesium also lowers cortisol. Am not sure if it means I need to take the magnesium and vitamin D3 at the same time rather than at different times during the day.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks AR for sure will discuss with my doctor.

jitsmonkey

Oops forgot to mention that I do take vitamin K. I tried vitamin A drops - it lowered my cortisol level soooo much that I slept nearly the whole day. I do the following.
Oil pulling
brush teeth
Netipot use
6 am 50 mcg of Levoxyl

==== Thyroid meds on an empty stomach / no fuel is a mistake.

7 am Breakfast
2 eggs fried in home made ghee, 2 slices of Udi's bread toasted, tea with lactose free milk, stevia as sugar makes me sleepy, a teaspoon of ghee and some great lakes gelatin.
10 am a snack
sometimes a berrie smoothie with raw egg yolk and gelatin added to it as well as some olive oil.
Vitamin D. Vitamin K, Jarro Lactoferrin, potassium drops

====== first meal of the day, you're adrenalin is going to be high and this meal has not enough carbohydrate to manage the protein you're eating. Your thyroid supps and your protein need fuel for utilization.
No fuel No bueno

12:30 Lunch
two raw carrots and if more hungry a piece of sheepsmilk cheese.
1 drop of T3 topical - Haiduts product

=====I hope lunch is not just carrots. Again your T supp needs fuel
anyplace you stimulate metaboliam requires fuel or you just go back to running on stress hormones.

6 PM Dinner
beef, chicken, fish or shrimp, sweet potato oven chips or butternut squash, green veggies with ample ghee and an oven baked apple.
Have cubes of cooked beef or chicken liver 2 to three times a week. I grind it up after cooked and freeze in cubes.

10 PM bedtime
25 mcg Levoxyl
1 drop progesterone
topical magnesium

=====its been 4 hours since dinner. And you're about to fast for another 6-10 hours. And you're taking more thyroid.
No fuel = No bueno.

The reason you get sleepy from sugar is because its ENDING your stress cycle and lowering adrenaline
its a huge mistake to be avoiding it.

OP
Elize

Elize

Oh my gosh. Thanks a lot for your feedback. .It feels soooo overwhelming. Eeesh we are always told to take thyroid medication on an empty stomach but see what you mean.

Steps I can start taking then.
Take thyroid hormone after breakfast and after dinner, add more sugar
Have more at lunch and use the T3 after lunch
Take the magnesium and supplements at bed time then

jitsmonkey

Oh my gosh. Thanks a lot for your feedback. .It feels soooo overwhelming. Eeesh we are always told to take thyroid medication on an empty stomach but see what you mean.

Steps I can start taking then.
Take thyroid hormone after breakfast and after dinner, add more sugar
Have more at lunch and use the T3 after lunch
Take the magnesium and supplements at bed time then

Sugar can be whatever your belly will allow
regular ol sugar, coke, fruit, juice, etc....

Make an effort to get fuel in you as soon as you wake up. don't wait for "breakfast" an hour later.
Thyroid after bfast I think will feel better for you.

something like plain simple over the counter pepcid may help you find more options that your gut will tolerate
and it can help you with glycogen storage as well.

OP
Elize

Elize

Ok thanks will start the change at dinner and keep you posted. I appreciate all your tips.

kiran

Greetings to all.
I find that Vitamin D seems to make me jittery and also develop terrible body aches. I have tried various brands. Could the low dose aspirin I use perhaps lower my Vitamin D levels? Could it be that the Vitamin D pushes too much calcium into my system as I often find as if I feel stiff and movement often has a creaky sound.

You should get blood tests for vit D, Parathyroid (PTH), and serum calcium (should be part of a metabolic panel)
Some people with low calcium intake paradoxically have high serum calcium due to the action of PTH.

Regina

Make sure you get the other fat solubles (especially A and K). The other fat solubles are important in making the calcium go where it is supposed to go. I think there was a study where a lack of vitamin A made caused abnormal bone growth (bone grew where it shouldn't) but I can't find it right now.
Do you think that might be the case with "bunions"?

jitsmonkey

Do you think that might be the case with "bunions"?

Bunions are almost always a combination shoe/gait problem.
The bone being laid down there is because of the enormously flawed movement pattern that's present.
Definitely not in the category of "bone growing where it shouldn't" the growth is just the response to the stress/irritant

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals