Why Does Meat Make Me Gain Weight?

Everytime i add in meat--beef, pork, lamb--i start to gain weight both visible in appearance and on the scales. Why would that be? Can easy access to so much meat be the reason why there are a lot of fat people these days?

Im a rock climber and consistent meat days also make me feel noticably weaker and heavier.

Last edited:

redsun

Everytime i add in meat--beef, pork, lamb--i start to gain weight both visible in appearance and on the scales. Why would that be? Can easy acceas to so much meat be the reason why there are a lot of fat people these days?

Im a rock climber and consistent meat days also make me feel noticably weaker and heavier.

Yeh if the meat you eat is fatty, those extra calories from fat can contribute to gaining weight if you end up going over your daily calorie needs. Opt for leaner steak cuts which will provide proteins and nutrients without added calories.

jet9

Everytime i add in meat--beef, pork, lamb--i start to gain weight both visible in appearance and on the scales. Why would that be? Can easy acceas to so much meat be the reason why there are a lot of fat people these days?

I guess it’s cause of higher amount of fats.
Or simply cause of higher muscle protein.
Jennifer reported that beef crashes her thyroid for example (you can check her log thread).

You say meat makes you weaker. Could you tell what you use usually for protein?
(that doesn’t make you weaker :))

OP
C
I guess it’s cause of higher amount of fats.
Or simply cause of higher muscle protein.
Jennifer reported that beef crashes her thyroid for example (you can check her log thread).

You say meat makes you weaker. Could you tell what you use usually for protein?
(that doesn’t make you weaker :))
I usually eat sheeps cheese and occasional shellfish.

That's really interesting about beef. Pork doesnt crash me out at all but beef can make me feel awful.

Maybe too much muscle meat and inflammatory aminos..

jet9

That's really interesting about beef. Pork doesnt crash me out at all but beef can make me feel awful.

How does the rest of the diet look like?
What do you eat for carbs ? Starch ? Sugar/fruits?

OP
C
How does the rest of the diet look like?
What do you eat for carbs ? Starch ? Sugar/fruits?
Wheat or potatoes but mostly refined wheat. Occasionaly fruit and fruit juice but have never tried making fruit my primary carb source.

jet9

Wheat or potatoes but mostly refined wheat. Occasionaly fruit and fruit juice but have never tried making fruit my primary carb source.
When I was eating grains I could not tolerate lots of things. Once I removed grains things improved.

Once I removed starches they seem to improve even further, but imho removing grains is single most important thing one can do for his health. (In my opinion they are worse than pufa)

redsun

All proteins especially meats can have a stronger blood sugar lowering effect. That's why you need to provide much more carbs when you eat them. If you do well with pork just eat pork its more than adequate a protein. The amino acid composition of pork is very similar to beef so I doubt its an AA issue.

If you rock climb a lot you need carbs first and foremost, so if you eat extra proteins you need to be even more aware of carbs. Just eat small servings of proteins, maybe too much at once is your issue.

OP
C
When I was eating grains I could not tolerate lots of things. Once I removed grains things improved.

Once I removed starches they seem to improve even further, but imho removing grains is single most important thing one can do for his health. (In my opinion they are worse than pufa)
What do you eat for carbs?

OP
C
All proteins especially meats can have a stronger blood sugar lowering effect. That's why you need to provide much more carbs when you eat them. If you do well with pork just eat pork its more than adequate a protein. The amino acid composition of pork is very similar to beef so I doubt its an AA issue.

If you rock climb a lot you need carbs first and foremost, so if you eat extra proteins you need to be even more aware of carbs. Just eat small servings of proteins, maybe too much at once is your issue.
I just cant help but feel there is something wrong with either my digestion or methylation. I know you have spoken extensively about folic acid and it's very strange but when i take methylfolate the reaction to meat is way less. It doesnt crash me out. I still gain on it though.

redsun

I just cant help but feel there is something wrong with either my digestion or methylation. I know you have spoken extensively about folic acid and it's very strange but when i take methylfolate the reaction to meat is way less. It doesnt crash me out. I still gain on it though.

Methylfolate has multiple functions. It can recycle methionine, folate also helps retain histidine from food, also converts histidine to glutamic acid, make DNA, etc. All depends on where it is in the methylation cycle which naturally it progresses through anyways.

If the meat is lean protein, it is impossible to gain fat from that. You can gain actual weight as it can increase muscle fullness and possibly increase muscle mass.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Everytime i add in meat--beef, pork, lamb--i start to gain weight both visible in appearance and on the scales. Why would that be? Can easy access to so much meat be the reason why there are a lot of fat people these days?

The muscle weakness could be due to phosphate. A high phosphate to calcium intake reduces muscle strength.
Pork is also high in vitamin B1 compared to beef which helps with glucose oxidation.

Beef is also harder to digest than pork and white meat for some people.

OP
C
The muscle weakness could be due to phosphate. A high phosphate to calcium intake reduces muscle strength.
Pork is also high in vitamin B1 compared to beef which helps with glucose oxidation.

Beef is also harder to digest than pork and white meat for some people.
The thing i worry about with pork is the high PUFA content. I make sure the pork i buy is 100% free range. I just dont want to affect my androgens in a negative way and raise my estrogen with so much pork.

Currently feel best on honey, grapes, blueberries, well cooked veggies, plus ocasional sweet potato (once a week).

How high is your Carb-intake,and is it Fatgain or leanmass that you are gaining?Maybe you become heavier with untrained,powerless muscle gain,and the impression of weakness is only a result from that.

jet9

How high is your Carb-intake,and is it Fatgain or leanmass that you are gaining?Maybe you become heavier with untrained,powerless muscle gain,and the impression of weakness is only a result from that.
Tristan hi,
I don't aim to become lighter / heavier - what ever i eat i am always relatively muscular.
I eat this way cause it makes me feel best (starches crash me / make me always hungry for some reason).
Total carb intake i would say ~100g / day from honey and fruits (veggies i don't count).

Tristan hi,
I don't aim to become lighter / heavier - what ever i eat i am always relatively muscular.
I eat this way cause it makes me feel best (starches crash me / make me always hungry for some reason).
Total carb intake i would say ~100g / day from honey and fruits (veggies i don't count).

I see.To troubleshoot your issue,I would follow the already given advice of at least temporarily increased intaken amounts of carbs to your meat-meals,the mere sensed presence of Protein itself increases Energy and Structural metabolism,maybe you get low on energy during induced regeneration-efforts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals