Why does fish oil helps some peoples with joints?

FitnessMike

Things like fish oil, nuts, avocados and such have their benefits, but not without their pitfalls. I think because these things have have some benefits people assume they are healthy, not realizing, in the long run, they do more harm than good. I think we all need to gravitate towards things with all pluses and no minuses.

JohnHafterson

Fish oil works on the cox lox system similar to aspirin. It also works on the immune system ( not necessarily a good thing ) so potentially lowering autoimmune inflammatory issues.

I felt good on it brain wise, body weight, blood sugar control, lower triglycerides, lower insulin needs but haven't used for nearly a decade since reading Ray's work.

I'm a type 1 diabetic so my immune system is skewed.

I think less is more with fish oil.

Last edited:

CastorTroy

Things like fish oil, nuts, avocados and such have their benefits, but not without their pitfalls. I think because these things have have some benefits people assume they are healthy, not realizing, in the long run, they do more harm than good. I think we all need to gravitate towards things with all pluses and no minuses.

Could you elaborate on why eating an avocado a day "do more harm than good"?

FrostedShores

My understanding is fish oil has an immuno-suppressant effect. So if you have inflammation, fish oil can reduce it by interfering with your immune system. However, this fails to address the underlying issue of what is causing the inflammation in the first place - you're basically just covering up the symptoms. And, like Rinse&rePeat said, the long-term effects of fish oil can be damaging.

CastorTroy

Avocado is so high in fat that Ray Peat says it is hepatotoxic, really bad for your liver.

But you need some fat in your diet. An avocado averages 15gr of fat per unit, most of it MUFA. I don't see why fitting an avocado in your total fat consumption, is gonna be toxic for your liver. Peat himself takes EVOO in his salad, which is pretty much identical in fatty acid profile.

mostlylurking

Could you elaborate on why eating an avocado a day "do more harm than good"?
Ray Peat considers avocado to be a toxic food because of its pufa content.
"Animal proteins, and fruits, because they contain the lowest levels of toxins, should form the basis of the diet. Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic."

from the references for the above article:
Experiments in mammary glands cancer showed that a 15% olive-oil diet reduced significantly the tumor incidence caused by 9,10-dimethyl-1,2-benzanthracene. The antitumor effect of the olive-oil diet was connected to its content of monounsaturated fatty acids, such as oleic and palmitic acids. The promotive tumorigenic effects of other high-fat diets (avocado, soybeans) were associated with high content of some polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic and alpha-linolenic). Different diets have different targets. The effect of the same diet depends on its anti-tumor substances content.

Ann Nutr Metab 1991;35(5):253-60. Effect of dietary avocado oils on hepatic collagen metabolism. Wermam MJ, Mokady S, Neeman I Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa. The effect of various avocado and soybean oils on collagen metabolism in the liver was studied in growing female rats for 8 weeks and in day-old chicks for 1 week. In comparison with rats fed either refined avocado oil, refined or unrefined soybean oils, rats fed unrefined avocado oil showed a significant decrease in total collagen solubility in the liver, while there were no changes in total collagen, protein and moisture content. Chicks fed unrefined avocado oil as compared to those fed refined avocado oil also showed a decrease in hepatic total soluble collagen while hepatic total collagen remained unaffected. Electron micrographs and light-microscope examinations of rats' liver revealed collagen accumulation in the periportal location. This is suggestive of the early stages of fibrosis.

the fish oil article is here:

I tried fish oil a few years back; I wound up with cataracts from it.

But you need some fat in your diet. An avocado averages 15gr of fat per unit, most of it MUFA. I don't see why fitting an avocado in your total fat consumption, is gonna be toxic for your liver. Peat himself takes EVOO in his salad, which is pretty much identical in fatty acid profile.
He suggests a teaspoon or two of olive oil, an avocado, or as much guacamole as I eat if I get the chance, is way more fat!

catharsis

If I remember correctly, fish oil is anti-inflammatory due to the resolvins it produces from the COX/LOX family of enzymes. These apparently lower inflammation but I am not sure if it's due to being immunosuppressing or another mechanism. I think Omega 3s also displace Omega 6 fatty acids from membranes but not sure. Getting omega 3s from salmon or sardines once or twice a week would be far better than supplements. Boron has been known to help with joint pain and arthritis if you are suffering from that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals