Why Does Everything That Inhibits 11β-HSD1 (lowers Cortisol) Increase My Belly Fat?

ddjd

For those of you who don't know, 11β-HSD1, is the enzyme that converts cortisone into active cortisol.

In our peatosphere, there are many substances hailed for their incredible 11β-HSD1 inhibiting effects due to their cortisol lowering action. For example:

Coffee (Coffee Inhibits Cortisol Synthesis)
Emodin (Emodin, a natural product, selectively inhibits 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and ameliorates metabolic disorder in diet-induced obese mice)
Aspirin
Vitamin A retinol
Niacinamide (The Anti-cortisol Effects Of Niacinamide)
palmitic acid/ saturated fat
Progesterone

the 11β-HSD1 enzyme has been identified as regulating cortisol production in adipose tissue and as we are constantly told, cortisol is the key culprit when it comes to belly fat.

My query is why do all the things in that list above, that inhibit 11β-HSD1 and therefore lower cortisol, cause me significant increased bloating and belly fat. We're told cortisol is the cause of belly fat, but by inhibiting 11β-HSD1 and "lowering cortisol", my belly fat only increases.

As a "**** it" experiment I tried taking T4 thyroid only (levothyroxine) which is known for the opposite effect, of agonising 11β-HSD1 , so increasing free cortisol. What was the result....my belly shrunk to a normal size, within 20 minutes. I've tested this over 10 times now and every time with the same effect after a big meal.

So i tested another product, Licorice, which also agonises 11β-HSD1, and increases free cortisol, like T4. Again, after a big meal, my belly bloating reduced. Lastly i tested hydrocortisone 5mg, after a meal, and got complete confirmation - belly size much flatter!

When I take niacinamide, retinol, progesterone, saturated fat, or any of the cortisol lowering 11β-HSD1 antagonists, as i have for five years now, my belly bloating always increases.

go figure...

even more interesting, Testosterone UPREGULATES the 11β-HSD1 enzyme, so testosterone increases cortisol. What's the one thing everyone on TRT benefits from - huge reduction in belly fat!
"Testosterone significantly upregulated 11β-HSD-1 mRNA expression "
Testosterone increases 11[beta]-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11[beta]-HSD1) expression in the rat heart | SFEBES2009

Last edited:

Tarmander

You could title this thread "My first 2 years following Peat principles"

Mauritio

So first there's a difference between belly bloating and belly fat.
If these things really increase your belly fat you might have run into hypoglycemia. All these things have in common that they lower blood sugar and thus can paradoxically increase stress hormones when there's not enough glycogen ...

one thing that is clear to me. Cortisol itself is not the enemy. Cortisol is ANTI inflammatory, so the body raises cortisol when it senses chronically low blood sugar, OR inflammation/stress.

Fighting cortisol is like fighting firefighters who you ALWAYS see when there is a housefire. The firefighters must be causing the fires!

See what I mean? We have to get the inflammation and stress down, and then cortisol will fall naturally. Jamming up the works is probably not the greatest idea.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

one thing that is clear to me. Cortisol itself is not the enemy. Cortisol is ANTI inflammatory, so the body raises cortisol when it senses chronically low blood sugar, OR inflammation/stress.

Fighting cortisol is like fighting firefighters who you ALWAYS see when there is a housefire. The firefighters must be causing the fires!

See what I mean? We have to get the inflammation and stress down, and then cortisol will fall naturally. Jamming up the works is probably not the greatest idea.
but im not fighting cortisol, I'm seeing it in a more positive light. this experiment has shown me that increasing my cortisol levels actually reduces my gut size. and taking things that lower cortisol only increases my bloating.

it's sure complicated. I have no idea how it all works. I do think high cortisol leads to low testosterone in men. I am pretty sure about that. And chronically high cortisol correlates with type 2 diabetes, stubborn belly fat and much more. I'm pretty sure about that too.

lampofred

I have in the past confused increased glycogen storage with increased fat. Things that lower cortisol allow glycogen stores to build up.

olive

That’s because this forums hormonal information is backwards. I’ve already posted numerous studies showing a relationship between high levels of estrogen and low levels of adipose tissue. In men low estrogen is associated with increased belly fat. Yet I see thread after thread on this forum of men trying desperately to lower their estrogen in hopes of reducing belly fat, the only results achieved are a temporary reduction in water weight which is unhealthy.

Anyone worth their salt knows cortisol increases fat burning. Now chronically high cortisol will lead to insulin insensitivity, so it’s not recommended.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

it's sure complicated. I have no idea how it all works. I do think high cortisol leads to low testosterone in men. I am pretty sure about that. And chronically high cortisol correlates with type 2 diabetes, stubborn belly fat and much more. I'm pretty sure about that too.
yes ive also been reading about this correlation and you've definitely got a point, however, if you speak to the people at precision analytical, they offer the DUTCH tests, with great insights into androgen and hormone levels. they actually show that these people have very low levels of "free cortisol" and extremely high cortisol metabolites. in other words they are producing high amounts of cortisol but immediately metabolising. so when they get blood tests back and see high serum cortisol they think that's their problem, but they actually have very little of the free form which the body vitally needs in small amounts.

yes ive also been reading about this correlation and you've definitely got a point, however, if you speak to the people at precision analytical, they offer the DUTCH tests, with great insights into androgen and hormone levels. they actually show that these people have very low levels of "free cortisol" and extremely high cortisol metabolites. in other words they are producing high amounts of cortisol but immediately metabolising. so when they get blood tests back and see high serum cortisol they think that's their problem, but they actually have very little of the free form which the body vitally needs in small amounts.

That’s very interesting but I don’t really think blood tests are very helpful for most things. Cortisol especially. Just look at people and observe them (or yourself) and you already know.

When I was working with people doing Buteyko, we had to have some people on low doses of cortisone to recover. I think some people’s bodies burn out on producing high cortisol all the time. Maybe something to adrenal exhaustion, although Dr. Peat doesn’t seem to think so.

lampofred

That’s because this forums hormonal information is backwards. I’ve already posted numerous studies showing a relationship between high levels of estrogen and low levels of adipose tissue. In men low estrogen is associated with increased belly fat. Yet I see thread after thread on this forum of men trying desperately to lower their estrogen in hopes of reducing belly fat, the only results achieved are a temporary reduction in water weight which is unhealthy.

Anyone worth their salt knows cortisol increases fat burning. Now chronically high cortisol will lead to insulin insensitivity, so it’s not recommended.

High dopamine increases estrogen in bloodstream because the E is released from cells instead of just staying there. The high prolactin/low bloodstream estrogen, metabolic syndrome phenotype with belly fat might be what you're talking about, but raising E won't lower stomach fat, raising dopamine is what will lower the stomach fat and the increased blood stream estrogen is just a side effect.

So maybe @ddjd 's digestive organs are irritated and cortisol is reducing that, therefore less bloating when cortisol is higher.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

@Rafael Lao Wai @ecstatichamster appreciate the suggestion guys but by that logic why would things like cypro, progesterone, niacinamide, t3, vit a retinol, aspirin increase the bloating? do you think its directly due to the cortisol lowering effects?

olive

High dopamine increases estrogen in bloodstream because the E is released from cells instead of just staying there. The high prolactin/low bloodstream estrogen, metabolic syndrome phenotype with belly fat might be what you're talking about, but raising E won't lower stomach fat, raising dopamine is what will lower the stomach fat and the increased blood stream estrogen is just a side effect.
Where in the world do you find this stuff? That’s not true at all. Estrogen is directly lipolytic via α2A.

Estrogen also increases insulin sensitivity, protects the heart and is anabolic.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1206168
“Androgen deficiency accounted for decreases in lean mass, muscle size, and strength; estrogen deficiency primarily accounted for increases in body fat; and both contributed to the decline in sexual function. ”

Cardiac concentric remodelling induced by non-aromatizable (dihydro-)testosterone is antagonized by oestradiol in ovariectomized rats. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Where in the world do you find this stuff? That’s not true at all. Estrogen is directly lipolytic via α2A.

Estradiol acutely inhibits whole body lipid oxidation and attenuates lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue: a randomized, placebo-controlled study in postmenopausal women in: European Journal of Endocrinology Volume 167 Issue 4 (2012)

Estrogen also increases insulin sensitivity, protects the heart and is anabolic.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1206168
“Androgen deficiency accounted for decreases in lean mass, muscle size, and strength; estrogen deficiency primarily accounted for increases in body fat; and both contributed to the decline in sexual function. ”

Cardiac concentric remodelling induced by non-aromatizable (dihydro-)testosterone is antagonized by oestradiol in ovariectomized rats. - PubMed - NCBI
what form of estrogen are you talking about, Estrone(E1), Estradiol(E2) , Estriol(E3)?? - I think its pretty simplistic to generalise and say estrogen possesses all of these beneficial qualities when it really isn't that basic

You could title this thread "My first 2 years following Peat principles"

LOL!!!

To the OP:
How do you know that your "belly" is "bloated" and not at his optimal set-point of functioning?
You are moving goalposts a little bit here.One time it is "bloating" (distension due to edema?),and it is "bellyfat","bloating and stubborn bellyfat"which vanishes after
only 20 minutes,"confirmed"? Your bellyfat got erased after 20 minutes?I would say your perception,Placebo effect is at play,
at least toward the bellyfat thing.

And yes,Cortisol isnt just the Death Hormone lol,it is highly useful and keeps the latent-inhibition-organised immunenetwork
under control,inactive.Low Cortisol produces Inflammation without a cause and awful wasting.I wouldnt mess with some phony cortisol-supplements,only indirectly should screwing around be permitted.The mechanics involved are more complex
than that,and you should work under the assumption that Cortisol is physiologic.It isnt the death hormone,secreted to kill you.

Tarmander

LOL!!!

To the OP:
How do you know that your "belly" is "bloated" and not at his optimal set-point of functioning?
You are moving goalposts a little bit here.One time it is "bloating" (distension due to edema?),and it is "bellyfat","bloating and stubborn bellyfat"which vanishes after
only 20 minutes,"confirmed"? Your bellyfat got erased after 20 minutes?I would say your perception,Placebo effect is at play,
at least toward the bellyfat thing.

And yes,Cortisol isnt just the Death Hormone lol,it is highly useful and keeps the latent-inhibition-organised immunenetwork
under control,inactive.Low Cortisol produces Inflammation without a cause and awful wasting.I wouldnt mess with some phony cortisol-supplements,only indirectly should screwing around be permitted.The mechanics involved are more complex
than that,and you should work under the assumption that Cortisol is physiologic.It isnt the death hormone,secreted to kill you.
Why do you say that low cortisol produces wasting? Like addison's disease or something?

Why do you say that low cortisol produces wasting? Like addison's disease or something?

Just the general tendency of it,not the whole hog.
There is an optimal set point of cortisol amount and action for an individuum.
If we dont know the value of this setpoint,it becomes unclear to me how to move forward on such an issue.
Sodium has complex interaction with production,maintenance,action,elimination of Cortisol and metabolites
as an example.Yes,dimished activity of of Cortisol is bad.Maybe the hypercortisolism of chronic disease is based on hyperalimentation of sodium though,but that is only a hunch.
I have become myself somewhat of an Anti-Sodium-Warrior,ASW, lately.