Why does everything have gums and soy

pboy

So I was at the supposed health grocery store yesterday, thinking...I'll get some good chocolate pudding, hot cocoa mix, ice cream sandwhiches...maybe a good chocolate bar or something...99% of everything they had had a gum and/or soy in it! It's quite annoying...honestly I think the miniscule amounts of soy lecithin probably wouldn't hurt me, but I really don't like gums / stabalizers

Dan W

Yeah. Once when I had first started Peat-ing, I went through the store scrutinizing every brand of ice cream, assuming I'd find something other than Haagen-Dazs that didn't have additives. 40-odd brands later, nothing. It was really surprising. The same with supplements: it seems like 95% of the brands have excipients that probably only cut manufacturing costs by 5%, but are still used because very few people care.

J

j.

Every ice cream that wasn't Haagen-Dazs that I've seen had carrageenan.

jyb

In an average UK store, the quality ice cream (Haagen-Dazs price range) is free of those. But the cheaper (much cheaper) ice creams have long ingredients lists, which can include vegetable oils. Chocolate very often has soy lecithin, even organic or very expensive brands. Coca-cola, however, is with real sugar not HFCS. In an average store, one can easily get organic milk, and milk is usually free of added vitamins.

Peata

I understand your frustration. It's amazing the number of products that claim on the front to be natural and then I look at the ingredient list and see otherwise.

Some companies apparently care though. I've found these to be good dairy products:

Daisy Cottage Cheese and Sour Cream.
Lamagna Ricotta Cheese (milk, vinegar, salt)
Turkey Hill All Natural ice cream.

Peata

I had an experience the other day with additives. I started eating some vanilla ice cream (a store brand but supposedly "premium" recipe) - French vanilla, to be exact, and after the first bite I knew something was wrong. I ate a few more small bites til I literally could not stomach another bite. I don't know if it was taste, texture, aftertaste, something, but I had to throw it away.

I'm not even the type to be sensitive (or at least notice sensitivity) to additives, fillers, etc., but something about this affected me -but just temporarily while I was eating it and a short time after. Maybe it's because I've been Peat eating and now my body rejects that junk more.

Anyway, I looked at the carton. It contained:

skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, whey, pasteurized eggs, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, calcium sulfate, locust bean gum, carrrageenan, vanilla extract, ground vanilla bean specks.

Bluebell

Yes, I think it tunes up your instincts so bad food really does taste bad!

The other thing about gums in ice cream is it makes them all soft straight out of the freezer, which I hate. They ought to be hard when frozen, much more delcious that way.

Peata

Bluebell said:
The other thing about gums in ice cream is it makes them all soft straight out of the freezer, which I hate. They ought to be hard when frozen, much more delcious that way.

I agree. I don't like that spongey stuff.

J

j.

Peata said:
skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, whey, pasteurized eggs, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, calcium sulfate, locust bean gum, carrrageenan, vanilla extract, ground vanilla bean specks.

Are you familiar with Ray Peat's views on carrageenan? I always feel bad when I eat something with it.