Why Does Eating Too Much Liver Cause Hypothyroidism?

Logan-

Ray Peat has talked about this a lot.

Here's an example from his emails:

Thyroid Storm

My impression is that some of the articles describing thyroid storm were written by hysterical people who didn’t understand thyroid metabolism. After I had been exposed to a pesticide, I experienced a few weeks of hyperthyroidism, probably a normalizing process after the antithyroid toxin was gone. Besides washing my hair two or three times a day and eating a lot, I didn’t do anything. A few people I’ve known wanted to stop the symptoms without a drug; some of them drank a glass or two of cabbage juice for a couple of days, others ate liver once or twice a day.

What is the mechanism behind this effect?

BigChad

Ray Peat has talked about this a lot.

Here's an example from his emails:

Too much vitamin a, possibly too much zinc, copper, selenium, b6. Really if you overdose on any of those you can encourage hypothyroidism, albeit the b6 would require chronic overdosing while A and the minerals you'd notice something once or twice a week too

What is the mechanism behind this effect?

lampofred

Unsaturated fats? If not, what does it mean when a molecule is unsaturated?

To be honest I don't know what it means for a vitamin to be unsaturated. In terms of PUFA, I understood it as unsaturated = unstable chemical bonds so prone to rancidity upon exposure to heat, but I don't think vit A is toxic in the same way that PUFA is even though it's unsaturated.

But it is carried on the same protein that thyroid is carried on, so an excess of vit A would mean no remaining space for thyroid hormone to get transported in the body and will cause temporary hypothyroidism in that sense.