Why Does Eating Squid Increase My Temperature A Lot Consistently?

Discussion in 'Seafood' started by Logan-, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Logan-

Logan- Member

I cook it with coconut oil.

Is it the coconut oil, the micronutrients in the squid, or the combination of both that increase my temperature, heart rate, and energy level?

Shrimp also has the same effects on me; though not as much as squid.

I have always use iodized salt in my foods, so I don't have an iodine deficiency.

Has anybody else noticed the same effects on themselves after eating squid?

2. DrJ

DrJ Member

Coconut oil no doubt helps, but squid is also a pretty good source of selenium which can help improve thyroid function.

3. olive

olive Member

Don’t use iodised salt if it contains “anti-caking agents”, or similar, in the ingredients.

Seafood is high in zinc, selenium, b6, b12. All ‘energy giving’ nutrients.

4. beta pandemic

beta pandemic Member

It increase your temperature so you can make a pointless thread asking a pointless question nobody cares about

5. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Yeah I don't buy salt that has additives in it.

That's why I am puzzled, I don't consume dairy; meat is my main protein source. So I always eat lots of red meat (beef and lamb mostly) every meal, which would mean no deificiency of zinc and selenium for me.

For the b vitamins, I take a supplement that covers my daily need.

Could it be the copper that is causing this? I get red ears (warm to touch) and a very noticeable increase in my temperature (even uncomfortable a little) after eating them.

A few days ago I checked the foods high in copper, and found that it's hard to get in the diet, especially if you don't eat liver or chocolate (I can't tolerate them).

Foods highest in Copper - SELF Nutrition Data

High Copper Foods - My Food Data

copper - The World's Healthiest Foods

High zinc and iron (red meat consumption) and vitamin C (supplement) intake, coupled with a diet low in copper, I guess, lead to copper deficiency. Since squid is high in copper, it helps with this deficiency which then causes this increase in energy metabolism?

@Amazoniac posted this a while ago:

Influence of ascorbic acid supplementation on copper status in young adult men

raypeat.com Iron's Dangers

The Nutritional Content of Squid | Livestrong.com

6. Andman

Andman Member

oooh careful you dont cut yourself on that edge

@Logan- hmm flushing (red ears) could be a histamine reaction..is it just pure squid meat or are there other ingredients?

7. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Moderators will take care of that.

It's just fresh and pure squid meat, cooked in coconut oil and salt. That's it.

I had suspected the histamine, but I don't get any other high histamine symptoms, so I think it is not histamine related. I am familiar with histamine-related problems, this isn't like that. After eating squid I feel energetic, alert, calm and satiated. No migraines, no gut issues, no skin reactions (other than reddened, hot ears), no nausea, no stress.

8. miki14

miki14 Member

I find shrimp and squid very uplifting too and I eat liver & chocolate. Shrimp is very high in cholesterol.

9. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

Cholesterol contents of squid and shrimp:

* Squid:
    Octopus, Cuttlefish, Squid and High Cholesterol

Squid and Cholesterol: The Calamari Conundrum

The Cholesterol of Squid | Livestrong.com

3 ounce: 198 milligrams (raw)
    Mollusks, squid, mixed species, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

*Shrimp:

Shrimp, Cholesterol, and Heart Health

3-ounce serving of cooked shrimp contains 161 milligrams of cholesterol.
    Source: Food Composition Databases Show Foods -- Crustaceans, shrimp, cooked

Shrimp and Cholesterol: Should it Be a Serious Concern?

3 ounce: 129 milligrams (raw)
    Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, raw Nutrition Facts ...

They are definitely high in cholesterol. Since I don't eat eggs (one large egg [raw] contains 211 milligrams of cholesterol), the boost in the cholesterol might be a factor in my experience with them; but then again, since I eat lots of red meat every day, I don't think I am low in cholesterol. I've checked my serum cholesterol levels many times, they are always in the upper range.

So, I am still not sure.

10. Literally

Literally Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned purines. From what I recall, shellfish are high in them and they are somehow associated with protein and energy production -- obviously I am no chemist, but it might be worth looking into. I also get a burst of energy from eating shellfish, and this the story I tell myself about it.

And yes, AFAIK, this is the source of the brand name, Purina.

11. OP
    Logan-

Logan- Member

The amounts of purines found in shellfish are not higher than the amounts found in red meat and poultry. They are all moderately high in purines, which means the amount of purines is irrelevant in my case, at least; since I eat lots of red meat and poultry every day.

Foods to Avoid With Gout

www.elevatehealthaz.com/wp-content/Purine%20Table.pdf

12. Literally

Literally Member

13. BigChad

BigChad Member

Things point to it being copper since you said you get iodine and selenium. Although i heard selenium content of beef and lamb can be unreliable and varies depending on whether the cow was fed selenium in its feed? Seems that like iodine in milk, selenium is not something naturally part of ground beef but is in there due to the cows feed.