Why Does Eating Squid Increase My Temperature A Lot Consistently?

Logan-

I cook it with coconut oil.

Is it the coconut oil, the micronutrients in the squid, or the combination of both that increase my temperature, heart rate, and energy level?

Shrimp also has the same effects on me; though not as much as squid.

I have always use iodized salt in my foods, so I don't have an iodine deficiency.

Has anybody else noticed the same effects on themselves after eating squid?

DrJ

Coconut oil no doubt helps, but squid is also a pretty good source of selenium which can help improve thyroid function.

olive

I cook it with coconut oil.

Is it the coconut oil, the micronutrients in the squid, or the combination of both that increase my temperature, heart rate, and energy level?

Shrimp also has the same effects on me; though not as much as squid.

I have always use iodized salt in my foods, so I don't have an iodine deficiency.

Has anybody else noticed the same effects on themselves after eating squid?
Don’t use iodised salt if it contains “anti-caking agents”, or similar, in the ingredients.

Seafood is high in zinc, selenium, b6, b12. All ‘energy giving’ nutrients.

OP
L

Logan-

Don’t use iodised salt if it contains “anti-caking agents”, or similar, in the ingredients.

Yeah I don't buy salt that has additives in it.

Coconut oil no doubt helps, but squid is also a pretty good source of selenium which can help improve thyroid function.

Seafood is high in zinc, selenium, b6, b12. All ‘energy giving’ nutrients.

That's why I am puzzled, I don't consume dairy; meat is my main protein source. So I always eat lots of red meat (beef and lamb mostly) every meal, which would mean no deificiency of zinc and selenium for me.

For the b vitamins, I take a supplement that covers my daily need.

Could it be the copper that is causing this? I get red ears (warm to touch) and a very noticeable increase in my temperature (even uncomfortable a little) after eating them.

A few days ago I checked the foods high in copper, and found that it's hard to get in the diet, especially if you don't eat liver or chocolate (I can't tolerate them).

Foods highest in Copper - SELF Nutrition Data

High Copper Foods - My Food Data

copper - The World's Healthiest Foods

Between one-quarter to one-half of Americans fail to reach Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations for copper on a daily basis. In fact, in experimental research where scientists intentionally created copper-deficient diets, the composition of those diets was quite similar to the average U.S. diet. These copper-depleted diets were based largely around meats, refined grains, and dairy foods. As noted above, this common diet pattern was low enough in copper to cause significant detrimental effects to antioxidant enzymes within weeks.

Prolonged supplementation with doses of zinc that go beyond normal dietary intake ranges can interfere with copper absorption and utilization, leading to copper deficiency.

High zinc and iron (red meat consumption) and vitamin C (supplement) intake, coupled with a diet low in copper, I guess, lead to copper deficiency. Since squid is high in copper, it helps with this deficiency which then causes this increase in energy metabolism?

@Amazoniac posted this a while ago:

"High dietary levels of ascorbic acid are antagonistic to the metabolism and function of the trace element copper in chicks (1, 2), rabbits (3, 4), rats (5), guinea pigs (6, 7), and monkeys (8). Some aspects of the chick and rabbit studies involved an exaggeration of severe dietary copper deficiency by ascorbic acid supplementation as evidenced by defects in aortic elastin and bone. There is, however, ample evidence that ascorbic acid supplementation is antagonistic to copper even when dietary copper levels are adequate. Significant reductions in growth, Hb, and hematocrit have been reported in both chicks (1) and guinea pigs (6, 7) fed diets adequate in copper and supplemented with ascorbic acid. In guinea pigs ascorbic acid supplementation also resulted in significant reductions in serum copper concentration, serum ceruloplasmin, and liver copper. Serum copper and serum ceruloplasmin were also reduced in ascorbic acid supplemented monkeys consuming a diet marginal in copper (8)."

"The results of this study show that copper status of adult men can be negatively influenced by ascorbic acid supplementation as evidenced by serum copper and serum centloplasmin determinations. Furthermore the decline in these parameters was reversed 20 days after the supplement was withdrawn."

"Although adverse health effects of reduced copper status in men as a result of ascorbic acid supplementation cannot be defined by the present study, it does provide knowledge that the potential for adverse effects exists. In the present study it was possible to demonstrate reduced copper status of men supplemented with ascorbic acid typical of intakes easily obtained from a variety of commercially available preparations [3x 500 mg/d]. The potential for an ascorbic acid antagonism of copper in man would therefore appear to be greatest for persons with a long history of elevated ascorbic acid supplementation coupled with a marginal intake of dietary copper."
Influence of ascorbic acid supplementation on copper status in young adult men

Q. I can't avoid all those foods, especially the bread and grains. What can I do to keep the iron I ingest from harming me?

Iron destroys vitamin E, so vitamin E should be taken as a supplement. It shouldn't be taken at the same time as the iron-contaminated food, because iron reacts with it in the stomach. About 100 mg. per day is adequate, though our requirement increases with age, as our tissue iron stores increase. Coffee, when taken with food, strongly inhibits the absorption of iron, so I always try to drink coffee with meat. Decreasing your consumption of unsaturated fats makes the iron less harmful. Vitamin C stimulates the absorption of iron, so it might be a good idea to avoid drinking orange juice at the same meal with iron-rich foods. A deficiency of copper causes our tissues to retain an excess of iron, so foods such as shrimp and oysters which contain abundant copper should be used regularly.

Q: How does copper help us?

Copper is the crucial element for producing the color in hair and skin, for maintaining the elasticity of skin and blood vessels, for protecting against certain types of free radical, and especially for allowing us to use oxygen properly for the production of biological energy. It is also necessary for the normal functioning of certain nerve cells (substantia nigra) whose degeneration is involved in Parkinson's disease. The shape and texture of hair, as well as its color, can change in a copper deficiency. Too much iron can block our absorption of copper, and too little copper makes us store too much iron. With aging, our tissues lose copper as they store excess iron. Because of those changes, we need more vitamin E as we age.
raypeat.com Iron's Dangers

One serving [of squid] supplies more than 10 percent of the RDA of zinc, more than 25 percent of phosphorus, more than 50 percent of selenium and more than 100 percent of copper.
The Nutritional Content of Squid | Livestrong.com

Last edited:

Andman

It increase your temperature so you can make a pointless thread asking a pointless question nobody cares about

oooh careful you dont cut yourself on that edge

@Logan- hmm flushing (red ears) could be a histamine reaction..is it just pure squid meat or are there other ingredients?

OP
L

Logan-

oooh careful you dont cut yourself on that edge

Moderators will take care of that.

@Logan- hmm flushing (red ears) could be a histamine reaction..is it just pure squid meat or are there other ingredients?

It's just fresh and pure squid meat, cooked in coconut oil and salt. That's it.

I had suspected the histamine, but I don't get any other high histamine symptoms, so I think it is not histamine related. I am familiar with histamine-related problems, this isn't like that. After eating squid I feel energetic, alert, calm and satiated. No migraines, no gut issues, no skin reactions (other than reddened, hot ears), no nausea, no stress.

miki14

I find shrimp and squid very uplifting too and I eat liver & chocolate. Shrimp is very high in cholesterol.

OP
L

Logan-

I find shrimp and squid very uplifting too and I eat liver & chocolate. Shrimp is very high in cholesterol.

Cholesterol contents of squid and shrimp:

* Squid:
Octopus, Squid and Cuttlefish Cholesterol Contents
A 3-ounce serving of octopus contains 82 milligrams of cholesterol, and the same amount of cuttlefish has 190 milligrams. A 3-ounce portion of squid contains the most cholesterol with 198 milligrams.
Octopus, Cuttlefish, Squid and High Cholesterol

A 3-ounce serving of uncooked squid contains around 198 milligrams of cholesterol and 13.2 grams of protein along with 0.3 grams of total saturated fat.
Squid and Cholesterol: The Calamari Conundrum

A 3-ounce serving contains 198 milligrams of cholesterol.
The Cholesterol of Squid | Livestrong.com

3 ounce: 198 milligrams (raw)
Mollusks, squid, mixed species, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

*Shrimp:

Years ago, shrimp was considered to be taboo for people who have heart disease or are watching their cholesterol numbers. That’s because a small serving of 3.5 ounces supplies about 200 milligrams (mg) of cholesterol.
Shrimp, Cholesterol, and Heart Health

3-ounce serving of cooked shrimp contains 161 milligrams of cholesterol.
Source: Food Composition Databases Show Foods -- Crustaceans, shrimp, cooked

100 grams of shrimp contain less than 2 g of fat and about 152mg of cholesterol
Shrimp and Cholesterol: Should it Be a Serious Concern?

3 ounce: 129 milligrams (raw)
Crustaceans, shrimp, mixed species, raw Nutrition Facts ...

They are definitely high in cholesterol. Since I don't eat eggs (one large egg [raw] contains 211 milligrams of cholesterol), the boost in the cholesterol might be a factor in my experience with them; but then again, since I eat lots of red meat every day, I don't think I am low in cholesterol. I've checked my serum cholesterol levels many times, they are always in the upper range.

So, I am still not sure.

Last edited:

Literally

I am surprised no one has mentioned purines. From what I recall, shellfish are high in them and they are somehow associated with protein and energy production -- obviously I am no chemist, but it might be worth looking into. I also get a burst of energy from eating shellfish, and this the story I tell myself about it.

And yes, AFAIK, this is the source of the brand name, Purina.

OP
L

Logan-

I am surprised no one has mentioned purines. From what I recall, shellfish are high in them and they are somehow associated with protein and energy production -- obviously I am no chemist, but it might be worth looking into. I also get a burst of energy from eating shellfish, and this the story I tell myself about it.

And yes, AFAIK, this is the source of the brand name, Purina.

The amounts of purines found in shellfish are not higher than the amounts found in red meat and poultry. They are all moderately high in purines, which means the amount of purines is irrelevant in my case, at least; since I eat lots of red meat and poultry every day.

Foods to Avoid With Gout

www.elevatehealthaz.com/wp-content/Purine%20Table.pdf

Last edited:

BigChad

The amounts of purines found in shellfish are not higher than the amounts found in red meat and poultry. They are all moderately high in purines, which means the amount of purines is irrelevant in my case, at least; since I eat lots of red meat and poultry every day.

Foods to Avoid With Gout

www.elevatehealthaz.com/wp-content/Purine%20Table.pdf

Things point to it being copper since you said you get iodine and selenium. Although i heard selenium content of beef and lamb can be unreliable and varies depending on whether the cow was fed selenium in its feed? Seems that like iodine in milk, selenium is not something naturally part of ground beef but is in there due to the cows feed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals