Why Does Drinking Cause Suicidal Thoughts Now?

troubledtimes

When I was in my 20s alcohol just made me drink and somewhat enjoy the night and passout. Than wake up with a typical hangover.... Now in my 30s I wake up in a deep depression and feeling awful. I drink once a week I can't get over this depression and wish I could live normally. Don't care to work and basically I'm anti social now. Times have changed that's for sure.... Feels like a dark hole u can't get out of

Brundle

Sorry to hear that. How do you feel when you are actually drinking, the night before?

When I wake up after drinking, I feel the opposite - optimistic and blissful, like the passing out and amnesia caused a "hard reset" and allowed me to forget the troubles of the previous day. It must be the carrot salad effect but magnified, in that the alcohol sterilizes the gut bacteria and therefore effects serotonin levels in the brain or something.

What kind of alcohol do you normally drink, and do you have it with food?

OP
T

troubledtimes

I drink beer any kind of beer. All alcohol has the same effect on me. When I do drink it does not make me that great to be honest. It makes me act like an ***hole sometimes, it makes me extremely stupid to the point of u try to have a conversation with I won't hear anything ur saying in one ear and out the other. My brain just shuts down constructively. I drink usually 8 beer and usually order outfood after I'm done drinking and go to sleep waking up like hell. Anxiety, depression it's bad..

marcar72

I drink usually 8 beer and usually order outfood after I'm done drinking and go to sleep waking up like hell.

People don't like talking about it anymore but it's probably demons. You have a demonic stronghold in your life now that they've exploited. Are you saved, friend? Hell is real and Jesus Christ is the only means whereby we must be saved.

Your work might not be satisfying, hence end of the week massive alcohol binge. You need to find a new reality, not mask it with drinking, hard to do though for sure.
I have never been a drinker, the occasional Gin & Tonic does it for me.
You need to find a true close friend with mutual interests, again easier said than done.

Frankdee20

Alcohol used to make me depressed the next day, but my brain and mental health have improved and now it only does this if extremely large amounts are used for days

OP
T

troubledtimes

I don't work. To bad anxiety and not a care to pick up a job. I've basically just got so stressed and depressed that brain is shut down. Don't care or.want.amything the depression is severe.... When I drink it's usually by myself or when I hangout with a friend... But I won't hangout with anyone unless.booze is involved.... I can't enjoy life sober hanging out with friends like I was ble to as a teen. For the record I drink only once a week. I even quit for 5 months and still have the disabling depression where just grocery shopping is hard enough to do.

InChristAlone

Low thyroid, please get checked out. But if not a hormonal issue then find your purpose in life. If you have nothing to live for then you'll have nothing to fight for, nothing to give you motivation. Could be underlying stuck survival energy too that needs to be released. You are displaying the freeze response to trauma.
50681722_10156801657223820_4271425515098734592_o.jpg

O

oldfriend

The answer seems pretty simple to me. Alcohol makes you feel suicidal because you're depressed. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, and if you've been entertaining the idea of suicide for a while it's likely that those kinds of thoughts will be disinhibited when drinking. Sounds like alcohol isn't doing you any favors right now, and the hangovers you describe are an indication that you are somewhat physically unwell. Why not take a break from drinking and people that you feel you need to drink to be around? Break the pattern. You can try finding a new social activity / hobby, work on your diet, get outside for exercise and fresh air / sunlight etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MitchMitchell

When I was happy af my tolerance was vvv good. I was drinking to have fun.

As I went through a rough patch my tolerance became vvv bad and I wanted to fight and whatnot. I was drinking to be someone else (negative)

Now that everything is going great my tolerance is way up again. I drink to have fun.

OP
T

troubledtimes

I want to mention I agree with ur well being affecting your tolerence to alcohol. When I was going through a bad anxiety and depression I tried drinking and I just cried and felt worse that's when I got on effexor and it lifted my mood and I could drink and just wake up with a hangover no crying spells etc. Yes I was on effexor for years but I weaned off it now and I don't really feel any better... I feel.alot.of derealization. My thyroid tag says it's fine but I do have low Testosterome

Frankdee20

I want to mention I agree with ur well being affecting your tolerence to alcohol. When I was going through a bad anxiety and depression I tried drinking and I just cried and felt worse that's when I got on effexor and it lifted my mood and I could drink and just wake up with a hangover no crying spells etc. Yes I was on effexor for years but I weaned off it now and I don't really feel any better... I feel.alot.of derealization. My thyroid tag says it's fine but I do have low Testosterome

I have such a tolerance to alcohol that I’ve slammed down a liter of Glenlevit, and I don’t feel out of it at all

Frankdee20

My temps are low in the morning, but have consistently been above 98 since noon, I’m burning up now at 99.3 after drinking

boris

Last edited:
OP
T

troubledtimes

Beer has prolactin and a lot of estrogen. And alcohol itself activates aromatase and converts your precious androgens into estrogens.

If you already have low T, you should stop drinking that stuff, because you are lowering it even more.

Effects of chronic ethanol intake on aromatization of androgens and concentration of estrogen and androgen receptors in rat liver - PubMed

Alcoholic Beverages as a Source of Estrogens[/QUOT

I agree. Test seems to be so overlooked in mental well being. I have stopped venlafaxine and the nasea has gone away. I switched to Wellbutrin. It won't screw with my libido and I think in alot of people like myself it can help. I will have to wait and see. And in the meantime I'm eating better and getting this extra 40 pounds of fat off my body to reduce this estrogen and enhance my test. I'm kinda craving salads right now instead of junk pizzas and crap you heat up in the oven. As well can you or someone explain the connection with antidepressants and weight gain what is your take ? A great phych and Md by the ne of Daniel amen says they have an effect on leptin. Which can interfere with the fullness response your suppose to get but something about SSRIs just made me gain weight and others to. Totally another estrogen enhancer to ruin a man's health and mental health

TheSir

It must be the carrot salad effect but magnified, in that the alcohol sterilizes the gut bacteria and therefore effects serotonin levels in the brain or something.
Same! My tongue gets impeccably clean from 2-3 drinks. After the acute intoxication & drowsiness has lifted. my thinking becomes unusually sharp, body warm, libido and motivation increase. Not convinved this afterglow is all about gut though.

Waynish

It is a liver thing. Look into the connection in TCM between liver & emotions.