Why Does Coconut Water Make Me Feel So Good?

Gl;itch.e

Like seriously only 2 foods I have come across so far give me this totally relaxed feeling after eating/drinking them. Beef Liver, and most recently I have discovered Coconut Water (from a freshly opened coconut). I have looked at what nutrients they contain to see if their is any similarities but there's not much I can pin it down on.

Both contain B-vitamins, but there's not that much in the Coconut Water. I'm thinking its more likely to be the electrolyte combo of potassium, magnesium and sodium in the Coconut Water, but I would love to find out what it is exactly.

Any thoughts?

dookie

It's full of electrolytes and other good things, if you tolerate it well it's probably something that could completely replace water drinking

In myself however, lately I find coconut water to produce bloat, swelling and other allergenic symptoms. In the past (years ago) it didn't. Probably means my metabolism is even more wrecked than years ago. Any thoughts on this?

DaveFoster

If hydration was the reason do you think it'd be so immediate and unachievable via other forms of beverage?
Coconut water has fantastic hydration qualities comparable to pickle juice.

Maybe try this:

- 1 liter water
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 6 TSP sugar

This is the WHO hydration solution ratio mix for patients suffering from excessive diarrhea and dehydration. You'll absorb this very effectively. Compare it to coconut water.

OP
Gl;itch.e

Gl;itch.e

I always salt any water (if I drink it) or I just stick to fruit juice, sodas, milk and coffee for my fluid.

DaveFoster

Could be the phenylalanine. The amino acid composition is comparable. High levels of cysteine as well.

tyw

Probably something to do with nervous system impacts, similar to simple mouth rinsing (no ingestion) of carbohydrate -- Mouth rinse but not ingestion of a carbohydrate solution improves 1-h cycle time trial performance - Pottier - 2008 - Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports - Wiley Online Library

I do not know if the amino acids in coconut water have any effect. Some may suggest that it is a good arginine source, but the doses needed to achieve performance increases in studies is very high (1.5g per 10kg bodyweight in this study -- PRE-EXERCISE ARGININE SUPPLEMENTATION INCREASES TIME TO EXHAUSTION IN ELITE MALE WRESTLERS , or 10+g for a 70kg / 153lbs individual)

100g / 3.5oz of coconut water will give only 228mg of arginine -- Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut water (liquid from coconuts)

If the amino acids are having an immediate effect, it is due to some signalling mechanism that occurs immediately when the amino acids hit the mouth. This is a plausible mechanism given prior work, but there won't be many studies looking into this phenomena.

It's full of electrolytes and other good things, if you tolerate it well it's probably something that could completely replace water drinking

In myself however, lately I find coconut water to produce bloat, swelling and other allergenic symptoms. In the past (years ago) it didn't. Probably means my metabolism is even more wrecked than years ago. Any thoughts on this?

Welp, you're not the only one to feel bloated from coconut water -- Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition

Both fresh and concentrate were used in that exercise-context study, but I'm sure the results would generalise to non-exercise contexts as well.

Again, mechanism unknown, but empirical observations (formal or informal) seem to show some people having gut issues with coconut water. Again, mechanism unknown, but avoid it if it gives you clear gut issues.

Dopamine

I might be crazy but coconut water mixed with milk is probaly the best drink I have ever made. Makes me feel great and tastes like a vanilla milkshake. Might taste even better with some sugar, vanilla, or pinch of ceylon cinnamon. Extremely hydrating and has a great electrolyte balance.

yerrag

Coconut water is isotonic. In the absence of IV fluids, it was used instead during wartime when supplies of IV fluids ran short. Yup, that's how amazing it is.

lvysaur

have to bump this because I just realized it has this effect on me. Steady calm energy.

Bogdar

Coconut water is isotonic. In the absence of IV fluids, it was used instead during wartime when supplies of IV fluids ran short. Yup, that's how amazing it is.

Blood is also isotonic right ? For the same reasons do you think drinking blood could be "amazing" ? :)

yerrag

Blood is also isotonic right ? For the same reasons do you think drinking blood could be "amazing" ? :)

Since you ended with a smile, I'll let you go. Blood is most certainly isotonic, in the same way I'm comparing my height with my self, and saying "It's amazing, I'm as tall as myself." It's also amazing I'm as smart as myself. And I'm as sarcastic as myself.

Bogdar

Since you ended with a smile, I'll let you go. Blood is most certainly isotonic, in the same way I'm comparing my height with my self, and saying "It's amazing, I'm as tall as myself." It's also amazing I'm as smart as myself. And I'm as sarcastic as myself.

It was a serious question. I mean drinking blood from animals. I was wondering if it had any benefits. I know it is isotonic but I was just wondering how better it was compared to coconut water or anything

yerrag

It was a serious question. I mean drinking blood from animals. I was wondering if it had any benefits. I know it is isotonic but I was just wondering how better it was compared to coconut water or anything
Sorry about the way I took your question. Blood has plenty of iron, which wouldn't be good to take in excess as it feeds bacterial growth, as well as being conducive to cancerous growth. Coconut water being isotonic is easily used to rehydrate by IV, but the same cannot be said about blood. Coconut water is pretty much electrolyte water, while blood has more of other contents, which may be rejected by the patient.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals