Why does coconut oil and MCT fats cause digestive problems?

BaconBits

I was searching on the net and found this comment by Chris Masterjohn:

"Gastrointestinal upset was the most common side-effect of the
MCT-inclusive ketogenic diets that were used back in the day as
extremely effective treatments for seizures. I don't know why -- they
are absorbed directly, unlike the long-chain fats, and maybe the
portal vein can only handle so much fat before getting clogged up?
All the long-chain fats are absorbed through the lymphatic system
instead of going straight to the liver via the blood."

Can this seizure studies be found, why is it that coconut oil causes digestive problems,It seems I am not alone and I also see people complaining about it all the time? No other oil makes people complain so much, none.

J

j.

Re: Why does coconut oil and MCT fats cause digestive proble

Was it coconut oil by itself or in fried foods?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Was it refined coconut oil like Ray Peat suggested?

Dutchie

Im confused....ive always read that long chain fayty acids,mainly in cowdairy get processed and stored in the liver,unlike what this article claims.

Funny thing is also that refined coconut oil doesnt seem to do so great for me,as opposed to unrefined coconut oil. And what do people mean by digestive/stomach upset?

pboy

I don't know but for me, unless its well cooked into a meal, high quality (like not the copra sundried coconut oil) and only a small amount at once it gives me 'stomach digestive upset'. Peat has said its due to mycotoxins in the coconut that happen during drying or simply an allergy to the coconut...which is why he recommends the deodorized, refined, pure coconut oil...to avoid any possible allergens. Some people handle coconut fine apparently...like I said, I used to cook like a half tablespoon into rice and never noticed anything, but eating it in larger amounts or raw as in a salad, a chocolate, or by the spoonful or something, id immediately feel it.

Dutchie...'digestive/stomach upset' for me, regarding coconut, is something like....rrrrrr, grrrrrrrr, stomach churning...something not right. I get up and feel fidgety for a second or two, maybe a bit of gas....5 minutes later go to the toilet and whatever the state of the food processing at the time in the gut is, fully digested or not, tends to want to rush out. That's why I avoid it now days

Peatri Dish

For a six month period I ate nothing but spirutein, water and coconut oil in a pudding. I would add hemp seeds to create variety now and again. I never felt better. I was at my thinnest and full of energy. I realize now it was stress hormones and ketones. Everyone asked me how I could eat all that fat with no problems. I was fine, no stomach upset, no diarrhea.
Here's one more thing where I feel like when it comes to the gut I have completely opposite reaction than most. I'm really getting a lot of ah ha moments here lately.

michael94

Peatri Dish said:
post 107641 For a six month period I ate nothing but spirutein, water and coconut oil in a pudding. I would add hemp seeds to create variety now and again. I never felt better. I was at my thinnest and full of energy. I realize now it was stress hormones and ketones. Everyone asked me how I could eat all that fat with no problems. I was fine, no stomach upset, no diarrhea.
Here's one more thing where I feel like when it comes to the gut I have completely opposite reaction than most. I'm really getting a lot of ah ha moments here lately.

I as well. Looking back with the info on this site is a real eye opener.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I've never gone super high fat, but never noticed any digestive distress from coconut oil by the tablespoon full (refined or full flavour).