Why Does Broccoli Taste So Freaking Good To Me

barefooter

I tend to like most vegetables in general, but for some reason as long as I can remember, I've absolutely loved broccoli. I keep forgetting to eat it, but I had some last night boiled with salt and it tasted so sweet and amazing, that I had several bowls full. I'm trying to understand my instincts and if this means maybe I'm in real need of something that's in broccoli.

By coincidence, I was reading a thread on here about chromium, and wondering if I should try supping it, since I seem to have blood sugar regulation issues that I've been unable to fix. I did a google search for best sources of chromium, and broccoli came up number one, so now I'm going to try eating it every day for a couple weeks and see how things go.

Makrosky

I think it's high in Vitamin K. Just eat it if you love it. Make sure it's well cooked otherwise it can be goitrogenic.

PeatThemAll

'Cuz there's some things in there, in an appropriate combination, that your body really, really needs right now.

You know you've repleted what was missing when the same yummy food starts tasting funny / awful from one bite to the next. Somatic intelligence: gotta love it :)

narouz

I think it's high in Vitamin K. Just eat it if you love it. Make sure it's well cooked otherwise it can be goitrogenic.

I almost never eat it for that reason.
Same with another food love of mine
broccolini or broccoli rabe (same thing I think).

I wish I could be convinced that broccoli only needs light steaming
to be rid of most of the goitrogens.
That's the way it tastes best.
Well, broccolini--sauteed in olive oil with a lot of garlic.

I think all those do is prevent iodine absorption...

lindsay

I LOVE vegetables! Hate preparing them. But well cooked with lots of salt, butter, cheese, etc., and some seasoning = delicious. Except spinach - spinach is horrid.

Cabbage is one of my favorites - both cooked and raw - though I try to limit the raw cabbage consumption. If you really like the broccoli, eat it. I'm a firm believer in trusting body cravings. Makes so much more sense than forcing oneself to eat stuff that tastes terrible.

Last edited:
Yeah...I'd say I'm...er...65% convinced.
Another sentence along those lines, or perhaps just a phrase....

They just keep a little iodine from goin in your body, and only while they're in your tummy. And it could take pounds to have an effect :ss2

narouz

They just keep a little iodine from goin in your body, and only while they're in your tummy. And it could take pounds to have an effect :ss2

I am indebted to you, Such.
broccoli rabe mamma zu.jpg

narouz

Is that broccoli rabe? I don't even like broccoli much, but that looks amazing!!! Just take some iodine and call it a day :)

Yeah. I first had it at this great Italian place--not your normal American Italian place. They had all this stuff I'd never seen before--foods hick Americans like myself don't think of as "Italian." I bet Such knows about broccoli rabe Italian style.

They cooked it in this big skillet-like thing that looked more like a wok. And it involved catching the rabe on fire. They used a lot of olive oil I'm pretty sure, but I think other liquids were involved--I could kinda see back into the kitchen, but not real well. They used a TON of garlic in their food, and they don't cook it very long--so it is not made thoroughly sweet and mild. Still retained a real bite. Sometimes it was a bit challenging even for me, a garlic lover. When we'd go to this restaurant early, the whole staff would be sitting around the bar peeling garlic and throwing it into this giant bowl.

They also served another dish-- the same kind of rabe, but squid was included. That was even better!

lindsay

Yeah. I first had it at this great Italian place--not your normal American Italian place. They had all this stuff I'd never seen before--foods hick Americans like myself don't think of as "Italian." I bet Such knows about broccoli rabe Italian style.

They cooked it in this big skillet-like thing that looked more like a wok. And it involved catching the rabe on fire. They used a lot of olive oil I'm pretty sure, but I think other liquids were involved--I could kinda see back into the kitchen, but not real well. They used a TON of garlic in their food, and they don't cook it very long--so it is not made thoroughly sweet and mild. Still retained a real bite. Sometimes it was a bit challenging even for me, a garlic lover. When we'd go to this restaurant early, the whole staff would be sitting around the bar peeling garlic and throwing it into this giant bowl.

They also served another dish-- the same kind of rabe, but squid was included. That was even better!

Sounds delicious!! Anything smothered in real olive oil and garlic is :) Good olive oil is amazing. I still dream of this one salad I had in Prague at a Croatian restaurant - it had goat brie, croatian olive oil and sundried tomatoes - and the best olives ever. I would go to that region of the world just for the amazing food.

Garlic is a potent antibiotic too - as long as it's not cooked all the way through. But cooked garlic is so much better :): Okay - now I am hungry for broccoli..... things I never thought I would say, LOL.

narouz

I'm gonna try to hold out and find some broccolini/broccoli rabe. I've seen it in mainstream U.S. grocery stores in the past. Kroger's I think. Maybe Whole Foods. The rabe, as opposed to broccoli, has this cool slightly bitter thing....