Why Does Adrenal Cortex (raising Cortisol) Help Me Tolerate T3?

Peater Pan

Hard to say, as adrenal cortex powder is probably not nearly as standardized as NDT. I think the 5mg cortisol is what Ray mentioned in the past to some people so I guess that would be good to start with and change dosage based on symptoms.
Hi, Haidut! How much cortisol would you imagine is in 50 mg of bovine adrenal cortex?

FitnessMike

Thank you! I swear this is happening to me right now.
did you get constipations at any point of using cortex? i tried cortex by it self for like a week before reintroducing NDT again and constipations happens like big time

Wilfrid

I had several rounds of steroids plus a shot for URI last year which I think may have thrown adrenals out of whack.
You think or you’re sure?
If you want to get the most objective diagnosis, cortisol needs to be thoroughly and fully tested (blood total and free cortisol, transcortin (CBG) as well as urine (24h) free cortisol and 17-0H-steroids) (The Hormone Handbook by Dr Thierry Hertoghe).
And to further complete the tests above (since glucocorticoids can have a direct action on bone marrow (Endocrine physiology by Constance R. Martin)), measuring eosinophils can help tremendously.
The degree and intensity of ACTH activity on the adrenal cortex is proportional to the level of circulating eosinophils. The greater the ACTH solicitation of adrenal activity is, the greater the rise in eosinophils. On the other hand, eosinophilia, relative or absolute, is proportional to the degree of adrenal insufficiency, which is proportional to the demand for ACTH and inversely proportional to the efficiency of cortisol (Endobiogeny: A Global Approach to Systems Biology).

Last edited:

5a-DHP

What's Peatfield's protocol (TLDR)?

He claim that many of his patients who have been hypothyroid for an extended period go on to develop adrenal insufficiency. Even though hypothyroidism is the cause, taking thyroid when adrenal function is impaired can lead to adrenaline excess, headaches, palpitations, and even a full blown adrenal crisis which can be fatal.

He recommends taking nutri adrenal extra glandular for two to three weeks until the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency are somewhat abated, though he says some people can use pregnenolone (35mg per day) if the deficiency isn't too severe. If one has normal progesterone and 17-OH Pregnenolone but low cortisol, they might be able to take high dose bitoin to maintain 21-Hydroxylase activity. If all those fail, he suggests short-term hydrocortione use.

Once the adrenals are supported, thyroid medication is introduced, slowly increasing the dose every 2-4 weeks until body temperature is optimal - blood tests are also used, but he says the temp is the most important thing. Once this is achieved, adrenal support can be slowly tapered off.

That's about it - nothing too special or complicated. I cannot speak to the validity of these claims - either scientifically or anecdotally - so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Peater Pan

did you get constipations at any point of using cortex? i tried cortex by it self for like a week before reintroducing NDT again and constipations happens like big time
Not OP. I have not tried adrenal glandular yet. Trying to get thyroid meds dialed in but having a lot of problems.

Peater Pan

You think or you’re sure?
If you want to get the most objective diagnosis, cortisol needs to be thoroughly and fully tested (blood total and free cortisol, transcortin (CBG) as well as urine (24h) free cortisol and 17-0H-steroids) (The Hormone Handbook by Dr Thierry Hertoghe).
And to further complete the tests above (since glucocorticoids can have a direct action on bone marrow (Endocrine physiology by Constance R. Martin)), measuring eosinophils can help tremendously.
The degree and intensity of ACTH activity on the adrenal cortex is proportional to the level of circulating eosinophils. The greater the ACTH solicitation of adrenal activity is, the greater the rise in eosinophils. On the other hand, eosinophilia, relative or absolute, is proportional to the degree of adrenal insufficiency, which is proportional to the demand for ACTH and inversely proportional to the efficiency of cortisol (Endobiogeny: A Global Approach to Systems Biology).
Thank you. Intuition based on objective and subjective criteria. Have not had labs since Jan. I stopped responding to NDT (recalls) and have been in a hypo spiral for months. Switching to synthetics. Doc mentioned checking adrenals (thanks for the test info) and adrenal glandular. Thinking about Bs, histamines, what else could be messing with exogenous thyroid utilization? I have Hashi's and very little tissue left.

Peater Pan

He claim that many of his patients who have been hypothyroid for an extended period go on to develop adrenal insufficiency. Even though hypothyroidism is the cause, taking thyroid when adrenal function is impaired can lead to adrenaline excess, headaches, palpitations, and even a full blown adrenal crisis which can be fatal.

He recommends taking nutri adrenal extra glandular for two to three weeks until the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency are somewhat abated, though he says some people can use pregnenolone (35mg per day) if the deficiency isn't too severe. If one has normal progesterone and 17-OH Pregnenolone but low cortisol, they might be able to take high dose bitoin to maintain 21-Hydroxylase activity. If all those fail, he suggests short-term hydrocortione use.

Once the adrenals are supported, thyroid medication is introduced, slowly increasing the dose every 2-4 weeks until body temperature is optimal - blood tests are also used, but he says the temp is the most important thing. Once this is achieved, adrenal support can be slowly tapered off.
That's about it - nothing too special or complicated. I cannot speak to the validity of these claims - either scientifically or anecdotally - so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks so much. Sounds like my case. Hashi's since 2011. >150 TSH when found. Very little thyroid tissue and have stopped responding to NDT. Old WP worked. Very stressful 2019, 2020. Chronic URI. Couching Dead.

Recoen

I didn’t respond well when I first tried ancestral supplements thyroid. I used their adrenal (among other supplements) for about 1month then added the thyroid back in with no problems.

5a-DHP

I didn’t respond well when I first tried ancestral supplements thyroid. I used their adrenal (among other supplements) for about 1month then added the thyroid back in with no problems.

What effects did you get from taking thyroid pre-adrenal supplementation?

FitnessMike

The first time i found out im hypo i jumped on NDT and i saw improvements with some symptoms to some extent and then all went bad after a week or so - thyroid was depleting already lower than normal cortisol, then i was trying to take ACR and NDT simultaneously, i clearly could still feel that thyroid lowers my cortisol further, now im trying as i was recommended here on the forum and also how Dr Peatfield recommends which is to take only cortex/cortisol for few weeks prior thyroid.

Would be amazing if someone on the forum did first Cortex/Cortisol and then thyroid, would be nice to hear experiences.

Peater Pan

The first time i found out im hypo i jumped on NDT and i saw improvements with some symptoms to some extent and then all went bad after a week or so - thyroid was depleting already lower than normal cortisol, then i was trying to take ACR and NDT simultaneously, i clearly could still feel that thyroid lowers my cortisol further, now im trying as i was recommended here on the forum and also how Dr Peatfield recommends which is to take only cortex/cortisol for few weeks prior thyroid.

Would be amazing if someone on the forum did first Cortex/Cortisol and then thyroid, would be nice to hear experiences.
ACR? Any idea what Dr. Peatfield's recommendation to someone with almost no thyroid would be? I'm not sure I could sustain weeks w/o any exogenous thyroid.

FitnessMike

what were your side effects when from thyroid prior to use adrenal support?

FitnessMike

ACR? Any idea what Dr. Peatfield's recommendation to someone with almost no thyroid would be? I'm not sure I could sustain weeks w/o any exogenous thyroid.
any updates?

Peater Pan

any updates?
Never took AC. Tried Blanchard but not with SR T3, and think I need more T3 overall or to go higher T4. May revisit going higher T4 but for now back on 3:1 4 to 3 and keeping warm/layered, red light, sun and thinking about Richfield's temp reset. Higher temps def. require more thyroid and calories. Generally tired/STRESSED during the day and better evenings/PM. Sleeping better (most nights) and temps are improving but I don't get above 98.2/.3 (sustained) most days.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

It's been discussed in threads before that for some of us T3 causes very undesirable symptoms such as bloatedness, water retention, frequent urination.

I've recently discovered that taking Adrenal cortex, which increases Cortisol levels completely stops all these unwanted side effects.

Does T3 actually require Cortisol in order to function properly in the body?
Bumping this.

Basically I'm still on a weight loss journey. I put so much weight on when I take T3 and other peaty substances which clearly lower cortisol.

When I focus on increasing cortisol the weight starts falling off really easily.

Why is this?? Don't people like Paul Robinson take T3 in order to increase cortisol??

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals