Why Does Adrenal Cortex (raising Cortisol) Help Me Tolerate T3?

ddjd

It's been discussed in threads before that for some of us T3 causes very undesirable symptoms such as bloatedness, water retention, frequent urination.

I've recently discovered that taking Adrenal cortex, which increases Cortisol levels completely stops all these unwanted side effects.

Does T3 actually require Cortisol in order to function properly in the body?

tallglass13

I've read that cortisol and thyroid work together. It was said that in order to raise thyroid, you must first have a strong cortisol production. Read the "hormones and hair loss" thread.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Adrenal cortex contains much more than just cortisol. It might rather be a synergy from the other hormones instead of cortisol.

baccheion

It's been discussed in threads before that for some of us T3 causes very undesirable symptoms such as bloatedness, water retention, frequent urination.

I've recently discovered that taking Adrenal cortex, which increases Cortisol levels completely stops all these unwanted side effects.

Why does T3 increase water retention? Increased (cholesterol -> pregnenolone -> DHEA -> testosterone ->) estrogens?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Why does T3 increase water retention? Increased (cholesterol -> pregnenolone -> DHEA -> testosterone ->) estrogens?
But for the majority of people it doesn't have this effect. And if I take Adrenal Cortex it doesn't have this effect on me, if anything it reduces water retention.

I emailed peat about whether Cortisol is important for T3 to function and he just didn't respond which is interesting. He's responded to every other email I've sent previously.

baccheion

But for the majority of people it doesn't have this effect. And if I take Adrenal Cortex it doesn't have this effect on me, if anything it reduces water retention.

I emailed peat about whether Cortisol is important for T3 to function and he just didn't respond which is interesting. He's responded to every other email I've sent previously.
Then how does T3 increase water retention?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Then how does T3 increase water retention?
I'm not saying it doesn't increase water retention. Your point is completely valid. But it's irrelevant to my post because I know that for some of us t3 goes down the less than favourable pathwats. But i want to get more details on why cortisol/adrenal cortex fixes this issue and whether Cortisol is important for T3 absorption

baccheion

I'm not saying it doesn't increase water retention. Your point is completely valid. But it's irrelevant to my post because I know that for some of us t3 goes down the less than favourable pathwats. But i want to get more details on why cortisol/adrenal cortex fixes this issue and whether Cortisol is important for T3 absorption
I'm trying to understand how it could cause water retention? What mechanism?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I'm trying to understand how it could cause water retention? What mechanism?
my theory is its something to do with people who have poor adrenal function, and perhaps low cortisol specifically. Why else would adrenal cortex work. @Salmonamb is suggesting its maybe not to do with cortisol, but maybe one of the other adrenal hormones. But after a few days research theres a lot of people saying cortisol is needed for t3 to function properly.

Im thinking about investing in a DUTCH test because it will tell me exactly how much free cortisol im producing, if its turning into free cortisone or other cortisol metabolites at all. only problem is its 500 dollars!

dreamcatcher

Yes, it might be estrogen related. I had that symptom for a long time. It's also connected to low thyroid and metabolism (and digestion).
Taking high amounts of progesterone helped a lot!! with water retention. Also, I use Cynoplus in the evening and T3 during the day.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I read a study the other day that I can't seem to find right now, but it showed that cortisol increases T3 sensitivity. It was in vitro I think.
Seems like a small amount of cortisol is needed for T3 function, just as norepinephrine works synergistically with thyroid hormones to increase uncoupling. But thyroid and norepinephrine is inversely correlated, so is thyroid and cortisol.
Elevated cortisol will negatively affect thyroid though.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I read a study the other day that I can't seem to find right now, but it showed that cortisol increases T3 sensitivity. It was in vitro I think.
Seems like a small amount of cortisol is needed for T3 function, just as norepinephrine works synergistically with thyroid hormones to increase uncoupling. But thyroid and norepinephrine is inversely correlated, so is thyroid and cortisol.
Elevated cortisol will negatively affect thyroid though.
After some research it seems peat thinks low dose and short term hydrocortisone or Prednisone isn't such a bad idea.

Makrosky

Maybe that's why lots of ND's, herbalists, alternative MD's, etc... always repeat the mantra "fix your adrenals before fixing your thyroid".

haidut

Forum Supporter

As @Hans also said taking adrenal glandular is not only affecting cortisol but the entire adrenal gland output, which includes pregnenolone, DHEA and even progesterone. Unfortunately, due to the public always associating adrenal activity with cortisol it somehow became a meme that taking adrenal cortex is the OTC version of glucocorticoids. Nothing can be further from the truth. If adrenal glandular was mostly favoring cortisol synthesis it would have immunosuppresive effects but it does not. Quite to the contrary actually. It is known to help with viral outbreaks of herpes, flu, or even HCV/HBV.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

As @Hans also said taking adrenal glandular is not only affecting cortisol but the entire adrenal gland output, which includes pregnenolone, DHEA and even progesterone. Unfortunately, due to the public always associating adrenal activity with cortisol it somehow became a meme that taking adrenal cortex is the OTC version of glucocorticoids. Nothing can be further from the truth. If adrenal glandular was mostly favoring cortisol synthesis it would have immunosuppresive effects but it does not. Quite to the contrary actually. It is known to help with viral outbreaks of herpes, flu, or even HCV/HBV.
interesting. I will as an experiment take hydrocortisone or prednisone, and see how it compares to the effects i feel from adrenal glandular. what do you think 50mg adrenal cortex would equate to in hydrocortisone? 5mg?

haidut

Forum Supporter
interesting. I will as an experiment take hydrocortisone or prednisone, and see how it compares to the effects i feel from adrenal glandular. what do you think 50mg adrenal cortex would equate to in hydrocortisone? 5mg?

Hard to say, as adrenal cortex powder is probably not nearly as standardized as NDT. I think the 5mg cortisol is what Ray mentioned in the past to some people so I guess that would be good to start with and change dosage based on symptoms.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals