Why Do We Even Look At The Kcal In Protein?

SolidSteele

Had a new coaching client ask me today "How much energy should I be using from protein a day?" which got me thinking. The answer should be none. Protein is awesome and does a lot of really important things but it is always just a fall back as an energy source for when there is not enough glucose. So if we are trying to plan fuel intake, which should be pretty close to ideal, why do we incorporate a back up fuel source instead of just adding more fuel.

Protein requirement are based on the muscle repair, neurotransmitter production, etc. which are dependant size and activity level. So shouldn't it really be common practice to figure out protein requirement and energy requirements separately and meet the energy requirement with carbs and fats instead of just saying 40% carb, 30% fats and 30% protein?

Just a thought.

kiran

People are in love with measuring things along a single dimension. Also note BMI and IQ.

Mufasa

Had a new coaching client ask me today "How much energy should I be using from protein a day?" which got me thinking. The answer should be none. Protein is awesome and does a lot of really important things but it is always just a fall back as an energy source for when there is not enough glucose. So if we are trying to plan fuel intake, which should be pretty close to ideal, why do we incorporate a back up fuel source instead of just adding more fuel.

Protein requirement are based on the muscle repair, neurotransmitter production, etc. which are dependant size and activity level. So shouldn't it really be common practice to figure out protein requirement and energy requirements separately and meet the energy requirement with carbs and fats instead of just saying 40% carb, 30% fats and 30% protein?

Just a thought.

Nice, I had the exact same thought lately, increasing your proteins to hit your calorie goal seems silly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals