*Why* do they want us to eat bugs?

worrywart

I live in Brazil. I was watching a morning rural show on TV - a news show focusing on rural businesses - a few weeks ago and this story came up. A guy is raising larvae right here on my southern Brazilian state, big metal shelves brimming with writhing masses of little white critters. Interesting. I wonder what for. The story cuts to the reporter, an elegantly dressed woman in her mid-thirties, sitting at an open-air restaurant table with a plate of bugs in front of her. Ah yes. It is happening at last. It was not just a meme. We will eat the bugs.

Meanwhile it seems that the meat industry is being slowly sabotaged. Meat prices are rising. The environmental pretexts for discontinuing meat and introducing bugs as food are clearly false. I wonder what the real reasons are. I can think of two things. First, bugs are unhealthy, PUFA-rich things, a poor substitute for meat, and stunting people's health and intelligence by giving them unhealthy food is clearly part of the agenda and has been going on for decades. Peat seems to attribute the rise of seed oils to capitalistic greed, but I get the feeling the people behind it know quite well that PUFAs are unhealthy. Second, it smacks of perversity. I have read sick things about the global cryptocracy, stories everyone here certainly knows about, and well, having the plebs eat bugs just feels like something a villain would do.

Just a little rant. This pisses me off. I love me some meat and a meatless future is not something I look forward to.

I live in Brazil. I was watching a morning rural show on TV - a news show focusing on rural businesses - a few weeks ago and this story came up. A guy is raising larvae right here on my southern Brazilian state, big metal shelves brimming with writhing masses of little white critters. Interesting. I wonder what for. The story cuts to the reporter, an elegantly dressed woman in her mid-thirties, sitting at an open-air restaurant table with a plate of bugs in front of her. Ah yes. It is happening at last. It was not just a meme. We will eat the bugs.

Meanwhile it seems that the meat industry is being slowly sabotaged. Meat prices are rising. The environmental pretexts for discontinuing meat and introducing bugs as food are clearly false. I wonder what the real reasons are. I can think of two things. First, bugs are unhealthy, PUFA-rich things, a poor substitute for meat, and stunting people's health and intelligence by giving them unhealthy food is clearly part of the agenda and has been going on for decades. Peat seems to attribute the rise of seed oils to capitalistic greed, but I get the feeling the people behind it know quite well that PUFAs are unhealthy. Second, it smacks of perversity. I have read sick things about the global cryptocracy, stories everyone here certainly knows about, and well, having the plebs eat bugs just feels like something a villain would do.

Just a little rant. This pisses me off. I love me some meat and a meatless future is not something I look forward to.
Eating bugs is nothing new. John The Baptist lived on locusts and honey. I feel like if I was just dropped on this earth, with no precondioning, and someone said "here eat this little cricket or take a bite out of a big hairy cow's ****", I would pick the bug :D

Tenacity

I feel like if I was just dropped on this earth, with no precondioning, and someone said "here eat this little cricket or take a bite out of a big hairy cow's ****", I would pick the bug :D

That's fair, but forgetting the fact that we all have billions of years of preconditioning. Why ignore it?

That's fair, but forgetting the fact that we all have billions of years of preconditioning. Why ignore it?
It is not ignoring it is adding too. With so much unhealthy animals and their meat causing so much unbalance and purification in the body, farmed crickets seems a bit cleaner nowadays to me. I even did a post on it recently.

It is not ignoring it is adding too. With so much unhealthy animals and their meat causing so much unbalance and purification in the body, farmed crickets seems a bit cleaner nowadays to me. I even did a post on it recently.
John the Baptist was 2000 years ago :D

username

Eating bugs is nothing new. John The Baptist lived on locusts and honey. I feel like if I was just dropped on this earth, with no precondioning, and someone said "here eat this little cricket or take a bite out of a big hairy cow's ****", I would pick the bug :D
Without preconditioning, I would quickly notice that there is far more food to go around from a cow than a bug... so I would definitely eat the cow. After eating the cow and noticing how good it tastes and how well I feel, I would continue to pursue eating cows over bugs with greater conviction.

2 tablespoons of cricket powder is 11 grams of protein with only 3 grams of fat. It is a fast and convenient protein source. We mixed it with milk and sugar and it tasted like malt. A cow is not convenient, not low fat and doesn't taste like dessert.

Attachments

• 20210618_083943.jpg
    20210618_083943.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 63
Without preconditioning, I would quickly notice that there is far more food to go around from a cow than a bug... so I would definitely eat the cow. After eating the cow and noticing how good it tastes and how well I feel, I would continue to pursue eating cows over bugs with greater conviction.
I love a burger or a pot roast like anybody else, but when I was a vegetarian then a pescatarian for awhile, eating beef again was not as good as it was when I was eating it all the time. Beef has a very strong flavor that that takes some getting use to. Bugs or beef it is all life giving.

tankasnowgod

Same reason for shilling high PUFA vegetable oils. Its Cheaper.

Except they're not. They only appear that way to consumers and companies thanks to subsidies.

It's actually more expensive to produce soybean oil than it is coconut oil. But a lot of that cost is shouldered by the Federal Government through soy subsidies, so the final price isn't paid by the manufacturers, or consumers.

"Green" energy is a similar scam, relying heavily on government subsides and regulation, and even traditional energy sources. It's usually produced at a net energy loss.

Eliminate subsidies, or shift the 90% of subsidy money from soy to coconut, and you would see coconut oil in a lot more products, since it's actually cheaper to produce.

chester

Except they're not. They only appear that way to consumers and companies thanks to subsidies.

It's actually more expensive to produce soybean oil than it is coconut oil. But a lot of that cost is shouldered by the Federal Government through soy subsidies, so the final price isn't paid by the manufacturers, or consumers.

"Green" energy is a similar scam, relying heavily on government subsides and regulation, and even traditional energy sources. It's usually produced at a net energy loss.

Eliminate subsidies, or shift the 90% of subsidy money from soy to coconut, and you would see coconut oil in a lot more products, since it's actually cheaper to produce.
I think coconut oil is a bad example for this. Only in this century has it started getting traction in the West, given that it is geographically limited to being grown in Tropical areas mostly. Remember that what vegetable oils replaced in the West were animal sources of fat like butter and lard/tallow, or region specific plant oils lime Olive oil - which grow in mediterranean weather- which I am pretty sure are more expensive than growing not just soy bean but corn, canola, peanuts, etc for manufacturing oil.

Besides, the case still stands. Disgusting ***t eating, floor crawling bug meat is probably a lot cheaper than animal sources. Won't be proportional to the prices you'll see it at in the supermarket obv.

I think coconut oil is a bad example for this. Only in this century has it started getting traction in the West, given that it is geographically limited to being grown in Tropical areas mostly. Remember that what vegetable oils replaced in the West were animal sources of fat like butter and lard/tallow, or region specific plant oils lime Olive oil - which grow in mediterranean weather- which I am pretty sure are more expensive than growing not just soy bean but corn, canola, peanuts, etc for manufacturing oil.

Besides, the case still stands. Disgusting ***t eating, floor crawling bug meat is probably a lot cheaper than animal sources. Won't be proportional to the prices you'll see it at in the supermarket obv.
Fortunately for those who are more descerning and not so desperate, farmed crickets are clean, certainly cleaner than cows with the flies all over them and pigs that wallow in the mud. Comon' guys quit being so whiny or over tiny little things, pun intended ?

Ras

I don't understand the reluctance to eat insects, and the fearful "You WILL eat the bugs" meme. These creatures have been consumed by many cultures for thousands of years. Doesn't it use a lot less water to raise a certain amount of insect protein compared with mammal protein? And aren't insects nutritious? God allowed Israelites to eat certain insects. I don't see the problem.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reluctance to eat insects, and the "You WILL eat the bugs" meme. These creatures have been consumed by many cultures for thousands of years.
Thank you Ras! I wasn't thrilled at the idea of eating them at first either, but it is just a lot of overthinking it. I don't want to be a wimpy person that withers away in hard times acting like a baby trying to eat a bug. I want to have toughness and fortitude. The crickets are surprisingly good. Worms are gonna be a different story, but I will get there if i have to, yuck!

How ironic is it in this debate that the Bible considers crickets clean food and pigs unclean? ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom