*Why* do they want us to eat bugs?

David PS

JamesGatz

I see it as another method of making people ill or demoralizing them

if they can make people eat ze bugs they will do just about anything - I see vids of people eating scorpions and various bees - I don't think this is safe given that these animals produce venom especially when they are facing death - a lot of ze bugs produce venom - maybe another way of making people sick/unhealthy

L

Lord Cola

I doubt this is going to be anything more than a novelty, if it even is real. Journalists are lying even more frequently about foreign countries lately, trying to create the impression that you're the only one not doing this new thing that they want you to do.

Eberhardt

I doubt this is going to be anything more than a novelty, if it even is real. Journalists are lying even more frequently about foreign countries lately, trying to create the impression that you're the only one not doing this new thing that they want you to do.
Whats up with the insect thing. I dont have a very strong inclination to eat them and might be part of some political agenda in a way, oki. But whats with the big problem with it, and outright denial og the fact that we as a species have probably eaten insects as a supplementary source of food for milions of years. A short study of anthropolgy shows you that almost all preagricultural societies eats them. Its even been shown to be a part of the diet of homo neanderthalis. Even inuitts used to eat it, eating the larvae in rotting meat. And when India started mainly producing flour commercially instead of handheld stonemills there was an epidemic of b12 deficiency due to the steep fall in the level of bugs that naturally ended up ground into the flour combined with severe undereating of meat. If you want to you could also refer to the bible which mentions the eating of insects and John the baptist even mainly eating insects(locusts).

I dont understand whats the problem? Maybe start travelling amd not only look at whats beeing done locally?? Not saying timetravel is an option;)

I dont expect an answer but kids have to be thought to NOT eat bugs

Lollipop2

Whats up with the insect thing. I dont have a very strong inclination to eat them and might be part of some political agenda in a way, oki. But whats with the big problem with it, and outright denial og the fact that we as a species have probably eaten insects as a supplementary source of food for milions of years. A short study of anthropolgy shows you that almost all preagricultural societies eats them. Its even been shown to be a part of the diet of homo neanderthalis. Even inuitts used to eat it, eating the larvae in rotting meat. And when India started mainly producing flour commercially instead of handheld stonemills there was an epidemic of b12 deficiency due to the steep fall in the level of bugs that naturally ended up ground into the flour combined with severe undereating of meat. If you want to you could also refer to the bible which mentions the eating of insects and John the baptist even mainly eating insects(locusts).

I dont understand whats the problem? Maybe start travelling amd not only look at whats beeing done locally?? Not saying timetravel is an option;)

I dont expect an answer but kids have to be thought to NOT eat bugs
I have read they have a lot of PUFA.

Eberhardt

I have read they have a lot of PUFA.
Yeah that has been my main concern and a influensial for why I never started growing crickets. But Ive read some newer research saying that claim is highly exaggerated (maybe highlighted due to the omega 3 heydays). It seems that its almost similar too beef at least according to the last research I saw.

Anyways thats at least a valid argument against it and the only real scientific one. But they are generally low fat. Anyone else?

Daniil

Yeah that has been my main concern and a influensial for why I never started growing crickets. But Ive read some newer research saying that claim is highly exaggerated (maybe highlighted due to the omega 3 heydays). It seems that its almost similar too beef at least according to the last research I saw.

Anyways thats at least a valid argument against it and the only real scientific one. But they are generally low fat. Anyone else?
What about carothenoid content?

Daniil

Regarding the PUFA, I can assume that they do not have a tripe, so they are probably more like chickens in terms of accumulation of PUFA and other toxins (pesticides, etc.)

Daniil

Ray Peat also quoted something about the fact that muscle tissue actually contains more PUFA than is commonly believed, which is why he is against eating poultry and pork. I think he would also be against eating insects.

I also want to add that when I cook poultry or pork, I usually cook it and it seems that a significant part of the fat PUFA floats up in the form of drops. This way I get less PUFA. I doubt that anyone will eat boiled insects.

JamesGatz

Regarding the PUFA, I can assume that they do not have a tripe, so they are probably more like chickens in terms of accumulation of PUFA and other toxins (pesticides, etc.)
I was thinking about the pesticides bit as well - at least with fruit they have the skin protecting from pesticides but for ze bugs they have it directly - it seems that ze bugs are another way for the elites to make us ill

Eberhardt

What about carothenoid content?
Seems normally to be negligable, but of course it would at least depend on the variety

On pesticides, it is an extremely unlikely concern. Or at worst the same as when eating a non-organic food. All sold insects are grown in tanks, not wild-harvested in the west (and in cultures where they are wild harvested theres very little pesticides), so one have complete control of their intake - one reason I've concidered growing crickets or mosquito larvae. Also theres much less animal-welfare concerns then mammal and bird meat. It at leasts wins the contamination risk by a mile compared to the touted oysters.

About the pufa in meat and boiling. I dont eat pork but concerning chicken almost all the fat in a healthy chicken is in the skin. Also as Ray has at times confirmed, boiling makes the pufa oxidate, thats why he recomends flash-frying. Insect flour is though easily boiled as parts of souce or porridge. And most insects would be eaten raw or flashfried. Like termites are traditionally eaten raw.
Insects also contains a lot less bacteria.

Im almost starting to want to eat it again
I am not sure of the bioavailability of the protein though.

Daniil

Seems normally to be negligable, but of course it would at least depend on the variety

On pesticides, it is an extremely unlikely concern. Or at worst the same as when eating a non-organic food. All sold insects are grown in tanks, not wild-harvested in the west (and in cultures where they are wild harvested theres very little pesticides), so one have complete control of their intake - one reason I've concidered growing crickets or mosquito larvae. Also theres much less animal-welfare concerns then mammal and bird meat. It at leasts wins the contamination risk by a mile compared to the touted oysters.

About the pufa in meat and boiling. I dont eat pork but concerning chicken almost all the fat in a healthy chicken is in the skin. Also as Ray has at times confirmed, boiling makes the pufa oxidate, thats why he recomends flash-frying. Insect flour is though easily boiled as parts of souce or porridge. And most insects would be eaten raw or flashfried. Like termites are traditionally eaten raw.
Insects also contains a lot less bacteria.

Im almost starting to want to eat it again
I am not sure of the bioavailability of the protein though.
Bacteria is the last thing that would bother me, being afraid of getting infected with something is not a purpose imho, you need to keep your metabolism in order and then the immune system will have no problems.

I think it's better to eat a little oxidized pufa than a lot of non-oxidized. Although I may be wrong.

changeling188

Witchetty grubs are eaten in Australia by Aborigines, and mopane worms are eaten in Zimbabwe and neighbouring countries. Grubs seem an average/good supplemental food, much like a macadamia or almond.

As much as I loathe the way in which these ideas are presented to us by journalists and given this environmentalist spin, insects have always been food sources from what i can tell and dietary habits have always changed over time based on scarcity and climate, with meat being supplemented by other forms of proteins like nuts. I guess my point is that not all insects are the same as a food source.

Some ant species seem to be a good source of certain vitamins, or a source of sugar.

Still the main issue persists that regardless of what we are told to eat specifically, the information comes from intellectually bastardised health authorities which remove their audience's historically informed intuition about what they eat and how they survive. I don't think a witchetty grub eaten raw goes against any principles here, but packaged cockroach-protein bread violates them for more reasons than being made of bugs...

Eberhardt

Bacteria is the last thing that would bother me, being afraid of getting infected with something is not a purpose imho, you need to keep your metabolism in order and then the immune system will have no problems.

I think it's better to eat a little oxidized pufa than a lot of non-oxidized. Although I may be wrong.
Generally agree

Eberhardt

Witchetty grubs are eaten in Australia by Aborigines, and mopane worms are eaten in Zimbabwe and neighbouring countries. Grubs seem an average/good supplemental food, much like a macadamia or almond.

As much as I loathe the way in which these ideas are presented to us by journalists and given this environmentalist spin, insects have always been food sources from what i can tell and dietary habits have always changed over time based on scarcity and climate, with meat being supplemented by other forms of proteins like nuts. I guess my point is that not all insects are the same as a food source.

Some ant species seem to be a good source of certain vitamins, or a source of sugar.

Still the main issue persists that regardless of what we are told to eat specifically, the information comes from intellectually bastardised health authorities which remove their audience's historically informed intuition about what they eat and how they survive. I don't think a witchetty grub eaten raw goes against any principles here, but packaged cockroach-protein bread violates them for more reasons than being made of bugs...
This is exactly my thinking too :)

Dave_Fit

God absolutely said crickets, locusts and Karydids are clean and perfectly fine to eat. Just cause you don't like something doesn't mean they are bad. I imagine Jesus probably chose to feed the masses with bread and fish becsuse it was less time consuming than catching little crickets and cooking them for thousands of people ?
He only needed 3 loaves and two fish to feed thousands, and they had way more scraps than that left over so... I'm just having fun, enjoying the thread.

Daniil

Btw, another potential danger of insects may be that they may be fed by something toxic, and the insects will become toxic. They can't feed farm animals something obviously toxic (to make their meat toxic) because animals will die themselves, lol. But insects... It seems to me that they can eat everything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom