Why do people feel extreme hypothyroidism after quitting smoking?

Xemnoraq

Everybody knows most people gain weight after quitting smoking and balloon and bloat up, ive experienced this myself and seen it,

Does anybody know why this is? to me it seems like tobacco decreases estrogen acutely and in the short term use, but in the long run it leads to the accumulation of endocrine disruptors which then require more aromatase inhibition to counter ie (Why people smoke more and more over time)

When i quit i felt disgusting and still do feel extremely bloated 2 years later and just not the same, and i developed a stubborn layer of fat where a shredded 6 pack was that just seems to stick around no matter how much exercise i do.

Anybody else experience this?

I also was experimenting with progesterone dhea and androsterone at the same time i was using tobacco,

My experience as a man was progesterone seemed to cause very much similar symptoms of PFS that people describe, i even wonder if it wasn't the tobacco but the progesterone because it felt like progesterone really for a time stripped me of my masculine appearance and energy, although i could be wrong,

Just curious to know anyone's experiences with this,
I know heavy smokers are known to have higher levels of cadmium and lead in their blood, if anyone has anything to add to the smoking cessation estrogen hypothyroid cascade feel free to add, its very difficult to find useful research about this on the internet because all these studies think thyroid works perfectly as long as you supplement iodine smh XD

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Everybody knows most people gain weight after quitting smoking and balloon and bloat up, ive experienced this myself and seen it,

Does anybody know why this is? to me it seems like tobacco decreases estrogen acutely and in the short term use, but in the long run it leads to the accumulation of endocrine disruptors which then require more aromatase inhibition to counter ie (Why people smoke more and more over time)

When i quit i felt disgusting and still do feel extremely bloated 2 years later and just not the same, and i developed a stubborn layer of fat where a shredded 6 pack was that just seems to stick around no matter how much exercise i do.

I also was experimenting with progesterone dhea and androsterone at the same time i was using tobacco,

My experience as a man was progesterone seemed to cause very much similar symptoms of PFS that people describe, i even wonder if it wasn't the tobacco but the progesterone because it felt like progesterone really for a time stripped me of my masculine appearance and energy, although i could be wrong,

I know heavy smokers are known to have higher levels of cadmium and lead in their blood, if anyone has anything to add to the smoking cessation estrogen hypothyroid cascade feel free to add, its very difficult to find useful research about this on the internet because all these studies think thyroid works perfectly as long as you supplement iodine smh XD

Nicotine in itself and its metabolites are aromatase inhibitors which might in turn enhance the T4>T3 conversion.
When I puff and take androsterone, my pulse and temps goes up too high. I had to stop NDT.

redsun

Chronic nicotine use strongly dysregulates nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in CNS. This is why nicotine needs to be taken in greater amounts with time, leading to dysregulated hormones until your body readjusts completely from withdrawal.

Makrosky

It is not only the nicotine and it is not only the aromatase inhibition. Tobacco has multitude of compounds besides nicotine. It also acts as an MAOI. It is a true meidicinal herb, the bad reputation comes by chain smoking processed cigarrettes.

What you could try is:
- Vaping
- Tobacco in less harmful ways like chew, sniff, or snuss
- A course of tabex every few months.

If you search for other threads on the forum this has been discussed extensively.

Makrosky

Also, your experience with progesterone is possible. At the end, no matter what Ray says, it is a female hormone. Just like testosterone and DHT are male ones. It doesn't mean for many men its antiandrogenic properties are enough to feminize, but it is a female hormone.

Also, your experience with progesterone is possible. At the end, no matter what Ray says, it is a female hormone. Just like testosterone and DHT are male ones. It doesn't mean for many men its antiandrogenic properties are enough to feminize, but it is a female hormone.
No it’s not. Women and men share all hormones in different ratios.

Makrosky

No it’s not. Women and men share all hormones in different ratios.
That's what I meant. Women have higher levels of prog and very low levels of test/DHT and men viceversa. If a woman starts taking DHT/Test she is not going to get any more femenine, hamster. If something, depending on individual chemistry they will stay the same. Same with progesterone.

Now, if you throw into the mix other hormones like DHEA, thyroid, Vit E, etc. then maybe those compensate. But 1 to 1 prog is for females.

joaquin

Tobacco has an alkaloid called anatabine that is strongly protective of the thyroid.

There was a time in which consumers could purchase a product called Anatabloc which contained this alkaloid. But it was taken off the market.

joaquin

OP
Xemnoraq

Xemnoraq

It is not only the nicotine and it is not only the aromatase inhibition. Tobacco has multitude of compounds besides nicotine. It also acts as an MAOI. It is a true meidicinal herb, the bad reputation comes by chain smoking processed cigarrettes.

What you could try is:
- Vaping
- Tobacco in less harmful ways like chew, sniff, or snuss
- A course of tabex every few months.

If you search for other threads on the forum this has been discussed extensively.
From my understanding and a few studies ive read it seems to also inhibit MAO type A which is a bad thing no? Because this will increase serotonin, we want to inhibit type B but not A, but i dont know if thats the tobacco doing that or the additives and smoke toxins

Makrosky

From my understanding and a few studies ive read it seems to also inhibit MAO type A which is a bad thing no? Because this will increase serotonin, we want to inhibit type B but not A, but i dont know if thats the tobacco doing that or the additives and smoke toxins
That is an oversimplification. Nobody knows the exact mechanisms of tobacco MAOI inhibition, nobody knows which other compounds modulate those effects and how they affect serotonin/dopamine or other NTs and also individual biochemistry plays a role.

No smoker stops smoking if it is not because the legitimate fears of cancer, lung issues, CVD, etc. or social pressure of some kind. That tells us smoking makes people feel very good, whether this comes with some extra serotonin or not.

General comment, not for you : At some point this whole super rigid maniqueism of anything that raises serotonin is bad, anything that lowers serotonin is good dogma in the forum has to be rethinked. We are not advancing.

Makrosky

Tobacco has an alkaloid called anatabine that is strongly protective of the thyroid.

There was a time in which consumers could purchase a product called Anatabloc which contained this alkaloid. But it was taken off the market.
Excellent point. I didn't know about this. Thanks a lot.

Herbie

I smoke as a rare novelty, usually smoke for a month of two every year or two.

I stop cold turkey because its over rated and just doesn't really do anything, I always imagine it being better than what it is. It would be best to chain smoke constantly and not have the ups and downs. It takes months to get into a good rhythm and enjoy it but the longer I do it, the more annoying it is to stop.

I think it benefits people who are malnourished and unhealthy, the power and momentum of being healthy makes tobacco a lame substance.

OP
Xemnoraq

Xemnoraq

That is an oversimplification. Nobody knows the exact mechanisms of tobacco MAOI inhibition, nobody knows which other compounds modulate those effects and how they affect serotonin/dopamine or other NTs and also individual biochemistry plays a role.

No smoker stops smoking if it is not because the legitimate fears of cancer, lung issues, CVD, etc. or social pressure of some kind. That tells us smoking makes people feel very good, whether this comes with some extra serotonin or not.

General comment, not for you : At some point this whole super rigid maniqueism of anything that raises serotonin is bad, anything that lowers serotonin is good dogma in the forum has to be rethinked. We are not advancing.
i was actually reading through some studies yesterday and found some useful information on the MAO inhibition maybe i'll share them on here later, but i think the reason people quit depends, in the initial stages they made me feel pretty good, some brands and different kinds made me feel good others like ***t, when i heavily smoked i felt like absolute ***t, worse than ive ever felt, i know alot of smokers too who claim this as well, i think when people start seeing their teeth rot and their skin get saggy that becomes motivation to stop, i think its better to smoke in moderation and also source clean tobacco as well as using a reuseable filter, i think smoking has alot of benefits but due to the industrialization of tobacco it becomes a double edged sword, several studies have also shown cigarettes to be heavily contaminated with cadmium and lead so i think if somebody is gonna smoke they should be smart about it

joaquin

I smoke as a rare novelty, usually smoke for a month of two every year or two.

I stop cold turkey because its over rated and just doesn't really do anything, I always imagine it being better than what it is. It would be best to chain smoke constantly and not have the ups and downs. It takes months to get into a good rhythm and enjoy it but the longer I do it, the more annoying it is to stop.

I think it benefits people who are malnourished and unhealthy, the power and momentum of being healthy makes tobacco a lame substance.
Are you going to start smoking again?

Herbie

Are you going to start smoking again?
No I just did it for a month and stopped a week ago and at this point in time I doubt I would do it again because each time it's more of a disappointment.

This is the time when I should be at my weakest to the allure of tobacco.

Makrosky

i was actually reading through some studies yesterday and found some useful information on the MAO inhibition maybe i'll share them on here later,
Please do! I am super interested on that. The studies I read some years ago about it were very precarious. IIRC were not even full studies but letters published on the journal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals