Why do people eat Haagen-Dazs?

Onehumin

First. all people can eat haagen das, you don't even need teeth !!! think about it, babies, seniors, all others in between. also, if you met me on the street do you think you could tell if i ate Haagen das or i was a vegan? :D
To enjoy your food is important.

Entropy

the only down side is the coffee flavour being dangerously addictive.. ;)

gaze

haagen daaz uses Propylene Glycol Monostearate as an emulsifier in their ice creams. Also known as "anti-freeze" in the ice cream indusstry. Its not required on the label because its an industry standard. Proplyene Glycol is a mild carcinogen I think, also messes with the kidneys a bit I think. Although the amounts used in haagen daaz or orther ice creams might be extremely low.

J

jb116

haagen daaz uses Propylene Glycol Monostearate as an emulsifier in their ice creams. Also known as "anti-freeze" in the ice cream indusstry. Its not required on the label because its an industry standard. Proplyene Glycol is a mild carcinogen I think, also messes with the kidneys a bit I think. Although the amounts used in haagen daaz or orther ice creams might be extremely low.
Do you have a direct source for this claim? I see lots of articles with the general idea but no real proof.

gaze

Do you have a direct source for this claim? I see lots of articles with the general idea but no real proof.
yea I couldn't find anything either, so I emailed them. got the response today actually. they said:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Häagen-Dazs®. We do use Propylene Glycol Monostearate in our ice creams. It's an FDA approved emulsifier. It's used to maintain a smooth, non-icy, texture in some of our ice creams."

Its unfortunate. but every ice cream uses it I think, which is why its not required to be on the label. I'm not sure just how damaging it is either.

lvysaur

Haagen Dazs has no gums. Which makes it incredibly rare among ice creams.
Making your own ice cream is time intensive. Thus people eat haagen dazs

My opinion is that people should get used to a simpler diet with fewer fancy foods, making things like ice cream, cakes, etc once a week or so.

SuperStressed

yea I couldn't find anything either, so I emailed them. got the response today actually. they said:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Häagen-Dazs®. We do use Propylene Glycol Monostearate in our ice creams. It's an FDA approved emulsifier. It's used to maintain a smooth, non-icy, texture in some of our ice creams."

Its unfortunate. but every ice cream uses it I think, which is why its not required to be on the label. I'm not sure just how damaging it is either.
That's bad. I wonder if it's the same for EU countries, I think that they have stricter laws on listing the ingredients.

Nicole W.

Brand marketing has sold people on the idea that it is high quality. It's no higher quality than any other as far as I can tell - just fewer ingredients. The best one widely available I found in the US is "Jeni's" - it really rocks.
Jeni’s is good. The darkest dark chocolate ice cream is the best imo. However, all the flavors contain starch, usually tapioca, and that does not rock. If you have to put starch in ice cream, then some corners or costs are being cut. Say what you will about HD, but there’s no starch or other additives in the basic flavors, and that is worth something when you find everything from vegetable oil to seaweed in most store bought ice creams today.

SuperStressed

I wonder if "some" includes the Vanilla, which is the only one Ray has ever recommended.

gaze

I wonder if "some" includes the Vanilla, which is the only one Ray has ever recommended.

hahahahah. i kind of thought that as well, i may ask them. i was reading up on EU regulations, it seems they're much stricter about propylene glycol. although it just says that the amount in food allowed is much lower than in the US, im not sure if ice creams can still use a tiny amount without putting it on a label.

btw, your profile pic gave me a good laugh. spongebob relatable as always

gaze

not looking good..

gaze

Update: I pressed them more on email and they said that the propylene glycol is "generally labeled" on the ice cream but they wouldn't specify which flavors. i checked most flavors, and none of them have it, so i think it may be grouped in with "natural flavors". so the vanilla flavor might still be ok

SuperStressed

Thank you for taking the time to contact Häagen-Dazs.

We can confirm that our Vanilla ice cream does not contain Propylene Glycol Monostearate.

;)

gaze

Thank you for taking the time to contact Häagen-Dazs.

We can confirm that our Vanilla ice cream does not contain Propylene Glycol Monostearate.

;)
thats good, cause I was eating it either way by lieing to myself that they probably don't use it. Good to get a confirmation on that though..

Atman

In Germany we are starting to have new supermarket brands (ALDI/Netto/Lidl) of ice creams without gums which cost about 50% less than Haagen Daz.
So it seems that some producers are starting to rethink.

Häagen-Dazs Chocolate Gelato 150 Calorie pots are very nice, could eat them daily TBH :hungry:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals