Why do people eat Haagen-Dazs?

TMoney

***t milk with antibiotics and probably pus
cream with the same
non-cage-free eggs
refined sugar (which, yes, i know is supposed to be better, but it seems almost logically impossible)

sounds pretty disgusting to me

tara

If you have access to perfect food, lucky you.
If you are fortunate enough to be in this small minority, consider putting your energy into improving the world's food supply for everyone else, rather than attacking people who don't share your fortune. :)

4peatssake

tara said:
If you are fortunate enough to be in this small minority, consider putting your energy into improving the world's food supply for everyone else, rather than attacking people who don't share your fortune. :)
:yeahthat

OP
T

TMoney

tara said:

if it's haagen-dazs or nothing, isn't the choice an easy 'nothing'?

Attakai

I don't personally buy it, but have had it on occasion and it tastes pretty good; so why not? People eat nastier stuff all the time. Obsessing about ingredients is probably worse for you, and definitely more taxing than eating some haagen dazs.

answersfound

If you don't want to eat it, then don't.

tara

TMoney said:
Only for people in an anorexic or orthorexic mode, or with severe allergies.
Personally, I favour eating over starving. As above, people eat a lot of worse things, sometimes for lack of options.

ken

I really don't know about all their flavors, but the coffee haagen dazs is one of the few without stabilizers. Its a custard style using egg yolk.No cargeneenen or gums. That's probably why its approved by the Forum guidelines.

janus

tara said:
TMoney said:
Personally, I favour eating over starving. As above, people eat a lot of worse things, sometimes for lack of options.

I read "nothing" as meaning "no ice cream" rather than "no food", and it hardly qualifies as anorexia.

schultz

TMoney said:
s*** milk with antibiotics and probably pus
cream with the same
non-cage-free eggs
refined sugar (which, yes, i know is supposed to be better, but it seems almost logically impossible0

Antibiotic pus milk is still better than every other food you can get at a regular grocery store.
Regular eggs are still healthy. They are not optimal but still provide good nutrition, especially if you're poor.
Refined sugar is fine.

TMoney said:
sounds pretty disgusting to me

It may sound disgusting, but it actually tastes pretty good. Ultimately the taste of a food is more important than its sound. :eek:

I think people eat Haagen Dazs because it doesn't have any additives. It's the only ice cream in the store that has no gums or carrageenan (at least in Ontario). Even the local organic brands have a bunch of crap in them.

With that being said, I do think you bring up a good point. Haagen-Dazs is apparently the best brand of ice cream available in the common grocery store and it's made with the lowest quality ingredients. It's a little bit disconcerting when this is the best we can hope for.

The only way to ensure better quality (like someone earlier pointed out) is to make it yourself from high quality ingredients you get at the store. Even better is to make it using milk and eggs from your own animals. I feel truly blessed to be able to do the latter.

Peata

Another brand with some all-natural ice cream is Turkey Hill. I've tried the vanilla and chocolate. No gums or fillers. Ingredients like cream, nonfat milk, sugar, vanilla.

mt_dreams

No need to fear monger with all this puss talk, as that should be saved for the vegan crowd. Even Peat has pointed out this probably is not the case, though I'm sure it does happen to some extent. Any product containing egg (that's not eating pasture) will not be ideal, but were talking less than half a yolk per serving (with minimal heating).

Not everyone enjoys making their own food. So for the people wanting to go the purchasing route, and cannot tolerate gums, this is an easy brand to look for.

NathanK

I don't really eat ice cream, but I found an organic brand the other week at Sprouts called "Strauss". That stuff rocks. Nothing but cream, sugar, milk, and egg yolk. I bought a vanilla and chocolate on principle. Tastes like how ice cream is supposed to taste.

tara

janus said:
tara said:
TMoney said:

I read "nothing" as meaning "no ice cream" rather than "no food", and it hardly qualifies as anorexia.

Maybe, but then we are back to:
tara said:
which is what he was replying to.

ken

I just checked the haagan daz company web site. They don't use rbst milk. As i recall, their site used to say they had no way of telling if their suppliers were using it. The idea of pus and antibiotics in milk comes from the critic's of rbst treatment of cows. That criticism seems to have won the day. Here in the northwest your hard pressed to find treated milk. http://www.haagendazs.us/Learn/FAQ/

Brand marketing has sold people on the idea that it is high quality. It's no higher quality than any other as far as I can tell - just fewer ingredients. The best one widely available I found in the US is "Jeni's" - it really rocks.

XPlus

The most valuable quality of Haagen Dazs (i.e. the plain variety) is that it's free from oils and additives (i.e. gums, carrageenan, all the weird E numbers, etc) that are commonly used by other producers. That's why it's considered high quality, because the industry set the standards pretty low.

Basically, the same arguments for commercial eggs and milk apply here - it's better than nothing and better than that spirullina fish oil smoothie.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals