Why do Orthodox Monks look so vibrant and healthy?

Hayley

I’ve recently converted to Orthodoxy and in studying the works of various church fathers and monks have noticed that many of them have a very bright-eyed, vibrant look about then even in old age. Obviously the two men in these photos (Seraphim Rose and Father Josiah Trenham) also happen to have beautiful facial structures, but I’ve also noticed among others including the fathers of my church and neighboring churches a general sense of being awake and alive looking as opposed to dull, tired, and unhealthy. Of course not all look this way but enough do where it stood out to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? To me what this indicates is a meditative mind state and a life focused on purifying the soul and contemplating God can produce good health in of itself. Also the opposite, that a Nihilistic mindset can create poor health. OR the opposite, perhaps this type of good health can beget a strongly relationship with God somehow.

I’ve mentioned this to my husband and said “maybe the Holy Spirit reaches us through the thyroid and perhaps men are called to God who have good thyroid health” but of course the next day I stumbled across a Seraphim Rose quote saying the organ for receiving the Holy Spirit is a loving heart... So who knows it’s probably all much more complicated than can be simply understood.

Attachments

• 259DCAFB-B223-4023-995A-47CD616514F9.jpeg
    259DCAFB-B223-4023-995A-47CD616514F9.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 49
  • FDBF491B-42A7-4E15-B40B-352D3C97482D.jpeg
    FDBF491B-42A7-4E15-B40B-352D3C97482D.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 49
I think you are right, and breaking it down even further, is that they lake hate and negative emotions, which breeds diseases.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

I think you are right, and breaking it down even further, is that they lake hate and negative emotions, which breeds diseases.
Yes I believe that has to be part of it. I don’t know about anyone else but I find it uplifting to realize so much of good health can start in the mind.

Yes I believe that has to be part of it. I don’t know about anyone else but I find it uplifting to realize so much of good health can start in the mind.

I feel so much healthier being forgiving and not letting anger and resentment have it's way. No scowl or frown lines is my reward :)

Occamzrazer noticed the same thing in his thread.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

I feel so much healthier being forgiving and not letting anger and resentment have it's way. No scowl or frown lines is my reward :)
That’s so amazing. I need to work on this myself. My whole life I have easily felt bitterness and anger. Do you have any advice for letting go of the negative? One thing I find is that the internet can easily trigger me, as it’s made to do, being exposed to frightening news and view points I don’t agree with so I think cutting that out is a good start.

Nebula

A pleasant heart pumping sensation is definitely what I feel when oxidative metabolism is optimal. It feels impossible to harbor anger and hate. It makes sense that practicing loving actions and thoughts would help keep the metabolism in a euphoric oxidative state.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

A pleasant heart pumping sensation is definitely what I feel when oxidative metabolism is optimal. It feels impossible to harbor anger and hate. It makes sense that practicing loving actions and thoughts would help keep the metabolism in a euphoric oxidative state.
I tend to feel something similar in the spring time after the first break from winter cold where you are able to be outside for long periods of time with skin exposed to the sun. Boundless positivity.

Summer

I think those with sincere faith know they have nothing to fear in both life and death. That’s not to say they’re all going to go through life without health issues. Even Paul had struggles, but still, fear mixed with uncertainty is a huge burden to carry.

That’s so amazing. I need to work on this myself. My whole life I have easily felt bitterness and anger. Do you have any advice for letting go of the negative? One thing I find is that the internet can easily trigger me, as it’s made to do, being exposed to frightening news and view points I don’t agree with so I think cutting that out is a good start.

Girl I am telling you that separating yourself from negative people is the first step. I think what has helped me the most to let go and forgive, is approaching negative and unjust situation in my life, trying to see what I am suppose to learn from them, rather than react to them. I try to approach my bad situations thinking of many other good people who are in worse situations, then I feel grateful for my bad situation. I figure the "takers" of the word get their rewards, but for those who work for their rewards, fighting battles l with kindness and grace, their reward is greater. I feel sorry for people who are so miserable that their misery gets thrust into my life. I just refuse to stoop to their level and vow to stay my course, and not let resentment and anger take my most valuable asset, my integrity and good character. We aren't here to take up space while we are living, hopefully by our end we have touched enough lives to have made a difference. Who are we trying change good people? No, we are trying to change the negativity. In my life, I can look back and see why every bad situation happened. My only regret in life wasn't the bad things I went through, because they made stronger and wiser, but I regret how I handled some of those situations. It is called young and stupid, and some people just never grow up.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

I think those with sincere faith know they have nothing to fear in both life and death. That’s not to say they’re all going to go through life without health issues. Even Paul had struggles, but still, fear mixed with uncertainty is a huge burden But still that unshakable faith would make one feel peaceful regardless I would think.
Girl I am telling you that separating yourself from negative people is the first step. I think what has helped me the most to let go and forgive, is approaching negative and unjust situation in my life, trying to see what I am suppose to learn from them, rather than react to them. I try to approach my bad situations thinking of many other good people who are in worse situations, then I feel grateful for my bad situation. I figure the "takers" of the word get their rewards, but for those who work for their rewards, fighting battles l with kindness and grace, their reward is greater. I feel sorry for people who are so miserable that their misery gets thrust into my life. I just refuse to stoop to their level and vow to stay my course, and not let resentment and anger take my most valuable asset, my integrity and good character. We aren't here to take up space while we are living, hopefully by our end we have touched enough lives to have made a difference. Who are we trying change good people? No, we are trying to change the negativity. In my life, I can look back and see why every bad situation happened. My only regret in life wasn't the bad things I went through, because they made stronger and wiser, but I regret how I handled some of those situations. It is called young and stupid, and some people just never grow up.
? Maintaining character is key. That’s kind of an easy way to remember things too when triggered.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

I think those with sincere faith know they have nothing to fear in both life and death. That’s not to say they’re all going to go through life without health issues. Even Paul had struggles, but still, fear mixed with uncertainty is a huge burden to carry.
That makes sense. In orthodoxy as far as I understand so far, who is saved and what exactly happens after death is considered a bit more of a mystery than in other Christian faiths, but still the point stands. A strong faith/relationship with God is comforting.

Serge

"Everyday Saints and Other Stories" by Tikhon Shevkunov was a very good reading, though I am not a religious person. Quite humorous, in parts, too.

emunah

It might sound a bit controversial, but in the case of monks, I think it can have something to do with not having sex. There are several ancient medicine traditions that suggest that indulging in pleasures of flesh depletes your life energy.

liam183

Yeah I've noticed this exact thing. One orthodox priest (not sure if priest is the right term) looks a lot like one of the pictures you shared. It must have something to do with lowered stress as well as positive energy leading to the body's water becoming structured. I've also read studies that say that people who pray or give thanks before meals absorb more nutrients.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom