Why Do Men Sweat More Than Women?

lampofred

Has Dr. Peat said anything about this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Men and women have a similar number of sweat glands, and I don't think it's related to body temperature because women actually have a higher resting body temperature than men and female bodies rise to higher temperatures than male bodies before their sweat glands become active. And if it's related to poor thyroid function, then why do women have more thyroid issues than men?

I'm starting to think sweating easily is a sign of poor metabolic health because I've noticed that as my energy levels are declining, I'm beginning to sweat more easily. The most intelligent people I know are the ones that barely sweat.

postman

I used to sweat a lot more, more than the average person, when I was in better health.

Runenight201

I have a predisposition to sweat a large amount, and when I’m unhealthy I sweat...a lot. I used to buy into all these hyperhidrosis theories but i noticed that as I became healthier I sweated much less. It is usually correlated with how much bloat and inflammation I’m carrying in my stomach, as well as which foods I’ve eaten. If I’m in prime health I won’t sweat unless I start exerting myself hard physically.

I’ve seen women at the gym that sweat a large amount as well. Barring an anxiety condition, i think it’s correlated with how much work the body has to do to move itself around in space. The harder it is, the more likely to sweat. Having a high strength to weight ratio, especially in the legs and core, and being in cardiorespiratory shape should decrease the amount of sweat for everyday, non-stressful activities. Most guys have bloated guts, and weak cores and legs, where as women tend to have stronger legs and lighter body weight.

OP
L

lampofred

I have a predisposition to sweat a large amount, and when I’m unhealthy I sweat...a lot. I used to buy into all these hyperhidrosis theories but i noticed that as I became healthier I sweated much less. It is usually correlated with how much bloat and inflammation I’m carrying in my stomach, as well as which foods I’ve eaten. If I’m in prime health I won’t sweat unless I start exerting myself hard physically.

I’ve seen women at the gym that sweat a large amount as well. Barring an anxiety condition, i think it’s correlated with how much work the body has to do to move itself around in space. The harder it is, the more likely to sweat. Having a high strength to weight ratio, especially in the legs and core, and being in cardiorespiratory shape should decrease the amount of sweat for everyday, non-stressful activities. Most guys have bloated guts, and weak cores and legs, where as women tend to have stronger legs and lighter body weight.

Very interesting theory, thank you.

OP
L

lampofred

Going to try increasing salt intake. Low sodium might lower the threshold at which you start to sweat.

Has Dr. Peat said anything about this, or does anyone have any ideas?

Men and women have a similar number of sweat glands, and I don't think it's related to body temperature because women actually have a higher resting body temperature than men and female bodies rise to higher temperatures than male bodies before their sweat glands become active. And if it's related to poor thyroid function, then why do women have more thyroid issues than men?

I'm starting to think sweating easily is a sign of poor metabolic health because I've noticed that as my energy levels are declining, I'm beginning to sweat more easily. The most intelligent people I know are the ones that barely sweat.

Women have less body mass on average and specifically less muscle mass, both of which will keep you warmer. Women (in my experience, as all these statements are based on) are less active than men. All the women I know who are not overweight and do not exercise are always cold when the temperature is under 20 degrees Celsius while men are only cold under 10 degrees. Hypothyroidism is likely a factor. Men tend to eat a higher percentage of calories from protein than women, and the thermic effect of food is 25-30% for protein. Compare that to the TEFs for carbs and fat of 10-15% and 5-10% respectively. Men also drink more alcohol which has a similar or slightly lower thermic effect to protein as I recall.

Waynish

Clammy people have a lot of internal dampness. Increasing the spleen & stomach power reduces this.

OP
L

lampofred

Women have less body mass on average and specifically less muscle mass, both of which will keep you warmer. Women (in my experience, as all these statements are based on) are less active than men. All the women I know who are not overweight and do not exercise are always cold when the temperature is under 20 degrees Celsius while men are only cold under 10 degrees. Hypothyroidism is likely a factor. Men tend to eat a higher percentage of calories from protein than women, and the thermic effect of food is 25-30% for protein. Compare that to the TEFs for carbs and fat of 10-15% and 5-10% respectively. Men also drink more alcohol which has a similar or slightly lower thermic effect to protein as I recall.

I've read women actually have a higher core body temperature than men and have a higher temperature threshold at which they start sweating. So I'm thinking it's not that women are colder, it's that their bodies allow them to retain more heat. I think it might have to do with how high progesterone levels counteract acetylcholine, since acetylcholine is what seems to be responsible for sweating.

OP
L

lampofred

Clammy people have a lot of internal dampness. Increasing the spleen & stomach power reduces this.

How do you do that? And how do you strengthen the kidneys besides NoFap/no alcohol? I'm sure the general thing is to increase CO2/progesterone and lower acetylcholine, but that is so broad that it applies to everything, since I think raising CO2 is basically the same thing as raising Qi.

Waynish

How do you do that? And how do you strengthen the kidneys besides NoFap/no alcohol? I'm sure the general thing is to increase CO2/progesterone and lower acetylcholine, but that is so broad that it applies to everything, since I think raising CO2 is basically the same thing as raising Qi.

Gotta work with a legit TCM practitioner. "NoFap" is of course useful... No alcohol isn't necessarily therapeutic. Checkout the damp foods and abstain. Dairy is the key one in the RP community.

PurpleHeart

Bald and balding men sweat too much from personal observation so progesterone / acetylcholine theory might hold some truth

I've read women actually have a higher core body temperature than men and have a higher temperature threshold at which they start sweating. So I'm thinking it's not that women are colder, it's that their bodies allow them to retain more heat. I think it might have to do with how high progesterone levels counteract acetylcholine, since acetylcholine is what seems to be responsible for sweating.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

TLDR version: After accounting for size, gender explained only 5% of inter-individual thermoeffector variance in 60 subjects during exercise in conditions where the body can successfully regulate temperature.

I wonder what would have happened if after the moderate and light exercise trials they conducted a third no exercise trial where subjects were placed in a 35 degree room with 40% humidity.

ebs

I thought sweating was related to high androgens and metabolism?

I always thought that me not sweating much and with hardly any odor was a bad sign for a guy. Interesting if this is not the case.

T

TheBeard

I thought sweating was related to high androgens and metabolism?

I always thought that me not sweating much and with hardly any odor was a bad sign for a guy. Interesting if this is not the case.

At my healthiest I was sweating a lot and it was smelly.
The less energetic I got the less sweatty and the more baby smell I got.

Vins7

I used to sweat a lot more, more than the average person, when I was in better health.
The same thing happened to me. When I was a child or adolescent I used to sweat very fast, more than the others, I was very healthy there.
Now quite the opposite ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals