Why Do Iron And Adrenal Supps. Help STTM Followers?

answersfound

Can pregnenolone be used instead of the hydrocortisone

ilovethesea

FunkOdyssey said:
Thyroid hormone increases demand for nutrients, both micronutrients, and glucose.

If you are taking more thyroid hormone than you can handle, and experiencing uncomfortable symptoms as a result, cortisol would have a couple effects to ease symptoms:

1) provide glucose by breaking down your tissues
2) block thyroid function via a few different mechanisms, so that your higher dose of thyroid hormone acts like a lower dose

However, it would seem much smarter to simply:

1) eat more sugar
2) take less thyroid hormone

I'm glad this was posted here for the record. I recently joined a couple of the STTM facebook groups purely for thyroid med sourcing info... OMG. There are literally dozens of people posting about having crazy bad reactions to thyroid, and I swear it's because they take such high doses and then jack up their cortisol with "adrenal support"!

I made the mistake of suggesting someone try smaller than 4-6mcg doses to get used to the T3. WELL. The mods came down so hard on me about adrenals and all that bull****. I mentioned Ray Peat but apparently his work is just "opinion" whereas theirs is based on "patient experience". As if Ray didn't have years of nutritional counselling with 100s of people.

Anyway, a total waste of time, but it's sad how they are perpetuating so much misinformation about dosing T3. They're also wasting a lot of good thyroid!

marsaday

I thought iron helped with the transport of T3 into the cells. So if you are low in iron this transport line is disrupted. Anyone else confirm this ?

The thyroid forums all state you need good levels of iron to be able to handle the thyroid. If you just give more thyroid with low iron you will get no where.

My wife has lower iron, but is not fully anaemic. She is taking iron to get her levels up. She also takes 50mcg T4 as this has been found to really help her metabolism. The iron does seem to help.

It is a big problem in the thyroid world whereby low iron is very common with low thyroid function. Women are affected much more as well.

Cortisol is bad if it gets too high as it stops T3 absorption. The balance of cortisol is important and it wants to be in a fairly narrow band. Too low = bad, too high = bad.

sunmountain

Atalanta, your post is inspiring and exactly what I need to hear. Constantly.

I'm one of the orthorexics. The good news is I know it. The bad, I have to constantly be reminded.

The right relation to food is as important as the food itself.

Thank you for that reminder!

A

Anonymous

ilovethesea said:
FunkOdyssey said:
Thyroid hormone increases demand for nutrients, both micronutrients, and glucose.

If you are taking more thyroid hormone than you can handle, and experiencing uncomfortable symptoms as a result, cortisol would have a couple effects to ease symptoms:

2) block thyroid function via a few different mechanisms, so that your higher dose of thyroid hormone acts like a lower dose

1) eat more sugar

I'm glad this was posted here for the record. I recently joined a couple of the STTM facebook groups purely for thyroid med sourcing info... OMG. There are literally dozens of people posting about having crazy bad reactions to thyroid, and I swear it's because they take such high doses and then jack up their cortisol with "adrenal support"!

I made the mistake of suggesting someone try smaller than 4-6mcg doses to get used to the T3. WELL. The mods came down so hard on me about adrenals and all that bull****. I mentioned Ray Peat but apparently his work is just "opinion" whereas theirs is based on "patient experience". As if Ray didn't have years of nutritional counselling with 100s of people.

Anyway, a total waste of time, but it's sad how they are perpetuating so much misinformation about dosing T3. They're also wasting a lot of good thyroid!

Yes, but atleast they are raising awareness for hypothyroidism as a cause for these unknown illnesses that keep popping up. Don't make them out to be an enemy. I've had the same response from the mods when I proposed that people needed smaller doses. And also, I'm going to play devil's advocate. Broda Barnes used hydrocortisone when people were not responding properly to the desiccated thyroid. So clearly it works. Also, when the thyroid gland was consumed hundreds of years ago, did people think to only eat a little at a time to "get used to the T3" or did they just eat the whole thing?

I'm currently working with a STTM doctor. He has Broda Barnes' book all over the waiting room. He says I'm a candidate for adrenal support. I'm fully aware of Peat's stance on the issue, but if this doctor has successfully treated hundreds of patients with adrenal support, who am I to argue? I will follow up with what he recommends for treatment...

tara

JRMoney15 said:
Also, when the thyroid gland was consumed hundreds of years ago, did people think to only eat a little at a time to "get used to the T3" or did they just eat the whole thing?
I had the impression the thyroid would be minced up with lots of other meat etc for sausages, or chopped fine mixed into a stew with lots of other meat etc, so that each portion had a smaller amount. I think people have got into trouble by eating too much whole fresh thyroid from a large animal like cattle.

ilovethesea

JRMoney15 said:
ilovethesea said:
FunkOdyssey said:

1) eat more sugar

Yes, but atleast they are raising awareness for hypothyroidism as a cause for these unknown illnesses that keep popping up. Don't make them out to be an enemy. I've had the same response from the mods when I proposed that people needed smaller doses. And also, I'm going to play devil's advocate. Broda Barnes used hydrocortisone when people were not responding properly to the desiccated thyroid. So clearly it works. Also, when the thyroid gland was consumed hundreds of years ago, did people think to only eat a little at a time to "get used to the T3" or did they just eat the whole thing?

I'm currently working with a STTM doctor. He has Broda Barnes' book all over the waiting room. He says I'm a candidate for adrenal support. I'm fully aware of Peat's stance on the issue, but if this doctor has successfully treated hundreds of patients with adrenal support, who am I to argue? I will follow up with what he recommends for treatment...

Yes, you are right, I agree STTM has done a lot for raising awareness of hypothyroidism and the need for T3 so I do appreciate that work. I meant waste of time in that they are just not open to hearing other ideas. I've never seen anyone shot down in the Ray Peat community for suggesting other ways of dosing thyroid... I think people here generally know that thyroid is a very tricky, individual thing to get right, and self-experimentation is encouraged. So it's more openminded here. STTM only tolerates people who do their protocol and that's it.

I'm interested to hear what your doctor suggests. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of raising cortisol on purpose. You should look up a poster named ttramone here, she was diagnosed low cortisol and discovered the tests were total BS. She believes Ray's theory now that taxed adrenals just means low thyroid.

To me it seems like many of these people who aren't tolerating the T3 probably are taking too much of it at once which causes a stress response. I doubt they're taking in enough calories to support the higher metabolic rate, or getting enough protein or sugars. People follow a very different diet now than in Broda Barnes days... there is a much higher estrogen burden from the environment and birth control pills etc... I think people are much sicker today than 60 yrs ago.

I've seen a lot of MDs, NDs in my quest for a thyroid med source and never had one understand it more than I do, until I found a nutritionist who trained with Dodie Anderson (who trained with Ray). She told me to dose the T3 throughout the day and only take 1/4-1/2 a Cynoplus at night. I started on 2-3mcg doses until I could tolerate the 4-6mcg. That was the BEST advice. That and increasing my calories. I have no problem at all with T3 now. I would think that giving it a slow approach like that would be safer than jacking up the dose and taking cortisol, like the STTM people do, but that's just me... :2cents

ilovethesea

tara said:
JRMoney15 said:
Also, when the thyroid gland was consumed hundreds of years ago, did people think to only eat a little at a time to "get used to the T3" or did they just eat the whole thing?
I had the impression the thyroid would be minced up with lots of other meat etc for sausages, or chopped fine mixed into a stew with lots of other meat etc, so that each portion had a smaller amount. I think people have got into trouble by eating too much whole fresh thyroid from a large animal like cattle.

Yes, I think that's why they banned us from even buying it at all now. A few high profile cases of thyrotoxicosis from ground beef.

A

Anonymous

ilovethesea said:
JRMoney15 said:
ilovethesea said:
FunkOdyssey said:

1) eat more sugar

Yes, you are right, I agree STTM has done a lot for raising awareness of hypothyroidism and the need for T3 so I do appreciate that work. I meant waste of time in that they are just not open to hearing other ideas. I've never seen anyone shot down in the Ray Peat community for suggesting other ways of dosing thyroid... I think people here generally know that thyroid is a very tricky, individual thing to get right, and self-experimentation is encouraged. So it's more openminded here. STTM only tolerates people who do their protocol and that's it.

I'm interested to hear what your doctor suggests. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of raising cortisol on purpose. You should look up a poster named ttramone here, she was diagnosed low cortisol and discovered the tests were total BS. She believes Ray's theory now that taxed adrenals just means low thyroid.

To me it seems like many of these people who aren't tolerating the T3 probably are taking too much of it at once which causes a stress response. I doubt they're taking in enough calories to support the higher metabolic rate, or getting enough protein or sugars. People follow a very different diet now than in Broda Barnes days... there is a much higher estrogen burden from the environment and birth control pills etc... I think people are much sicker today than 60 yrs ago.

I've seen a lot of MDs, NDs in my quest for a thyroid med source and never had one understand it more than I do, until I found a nutritionist who trained with Dodie Anderson (who trained with Ray). She told me to dose the T3 throughout the day and only take 1/4-1/2 a Cynoplus at night. I started on 2-3mcg doses until I could tolerate the 4-6mcg. That was the BEST advice. That and increasing my calories. I have no problem at all with T3 now. I would think that giving it a slow approach like that would be safer than jacking up the dose and taking cortisol, like the STTM people do, but that's just me... :2cents

Interesting. When I first tried thyroid my body reacted violently. I was the extreme adrenal case as STTM people would define it. Even 1 much of cytome l would give me problems. I decided to try amitriptyline when my doctor told me I had "chronic fatigue". Also it is a potent antihistamine so it has some beneficial effects similar to cyproheptadine. This drug increased my appetite and cholesterol and I put on 15 lbs. I am no longer the skinny high adrenaline type that I was. And best of all I can tolerate a lot thyroid without any problems. So I suspect that I won't need any adrenal support however if I had seen this doctor 5 months ago I certainly would be given adrenal support. The drug shifted my body in an interesting way. I don't think it made me less hypothyroid, but I feel like this state is more manageable and I am in a position to increase metabolism without the interference of stress hormones. I also use pregnenolone a good amount which can be very helpful but I told the STTM people they could use it instead of hydrocortisone and they shot it down. My temps are now in the high 97's and I am hoping this doctor will help me get to 99s so I can live life again rather than just cope with life.

jaminhealth

Because they are on a dessicated thyroid. Ray Peat does NOT think dessicated thyroid is helpful and does NOT recommend it.

I've been taking dessicated thryoid since 2002 and I do just fine. I enjoy the info on STTM group. So so many opinions on EVERYTHING.

I also take 1 drop (1.83mg) Iosol Iodine daily and off and on some selenium.

Recently started on Now Foods Cortisol as mornings can be tough. I'm 81.