Why do intelligent people seem to have such high serotonin?

GreekDemiGod

High achievers often have a histadelic phenotype with higher histamine levels and lower dopamine and serotonin levels.

It leads to low inhibition (low serotonin), high alertness/wakefulness (high histamine) and perfectionistic/OCD traits (low dopamine) which all seem good for career purposes.

OCD is also a low dopamine phenotype, as it leads to unsatisfactory completion of tasks due to blunted reward sensation.
I wouldn't equate high achiever with intelligence / intellectual capacity.

andrewlee224

I'd think it might be because intelligent people may be more sensitive in different ways. If they manage to find an optimal operational window the results are amazing, but potentially this operating window may be narrower than in less intelligent people.

I'm.No.One

I wouldn't equate high achiever with intelligence / intellectual capacity.
This?

Actually many gifted folks are chronic "underachievers" until they find something that clicks, or they're doing so many things that interest them that they don't overly achieve in any one thing.

What many don't realize is IQ is not just one encompassing measurement of every intellectual capacity.

Your IQ literally lands in different areas & can be evaluated as such.

It's somatic, psycho motor, visual spatial, intellectual, emotional.

Someone can have a, for example, EG (exceptionally gifted) range in intellectual, & literally be borderline MR emotionally (typically what makes a psychopath, no emotional IQ).

Usually if somebody has a high drive their IQ is landing in the psycho motor pretty hard.

(We also can talk enough to melt your face, no literally I will make your face go blank with information overload if my OEs kick up & you'll think I'm on meth.)

Learning about the Dabrowski's Theory in regards to, well, anything giftedness will be a huge help to anyone wanting to understand it beyond the concept of good at school = gifted.

This is actually a great book about said theory:

Amazon product ASIN B093TTFG57View: https://www.amazon.com/Living-Intensity-Understanding-Sensitivity-Excitability/dp/B093TTFG57

It's crazy to be in the higher ranges. I still suck at non drug math & grammar by the way.

K

Kayaker

Seriously. As someone who grew up in gifted classes/at gifted schools, I gotta say that intelligent people tend to be much more high serotonin than the average person. Very OCD-like symptoms as well as autism symptoms. All sorts of high serotonin signs, really.

Is there any science behind this?
Intelligent people are more likely to be particular, which can make them come across as OCD. It has nothing to do with autisticness or serotonin.

baccheion

Acetylcholine and downstream catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, etc) are what's associated with "brightness". Higher acetylcholine + higher norepinephrine/epinephrine = negative rumination, OCD-like symptoms, etc. Norepinephrine/epinephrine increase usually lowers acetylcholine. Acetylcholine increase is initially stimulating, raising catecholamines.

Hard to quantify. Even intelligence is subjective.
Even if you learn slowly, you can be very conscious.
What is intelligence?

Waynish

You mean "why do neurotic people have high serotonin" - it is clear that most people confuse intelligence and neurotic behavior (which isn't intelligent). If someone were truly intelligent, then they could very quickly rid themselves of neuroticisms.

Demyze

You mean "why do neurotic people have high serotonin" - it is clear that most people confuse intelligence and neurotic behavior (which isn't intelligent). If someone were truly intelligent, then they could very quickly rid themselves of neuroticisms.
Shhhhh let them convince themselves everything about themselves is a hallmark of intelligence

Grouptose

Now that I think about it, this is right on so many levels. Back when I was taking SSRIS, I thought things like "aggression" or being "unempathetic" was something cool and manly and I had all sorts of delusions thinking that I was smart because I did certain things, looking back I did some very stupid things and I was deluded into thinking it was helping me and I had all the answers. Now I'm off it, I realize that being neurotic or being special (doing things that are considered weird by society in order to feel like I'm a really valuable person) isn't what helps you. Knowledge and experience is

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals