Why do I sweat so much w/ hypothyroid vitals?

aguilaroja

Peata said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96210/ I'm the opposite where I almost never sweated and would be cold in situations where others were hot. Since I seem to be improving my metabolism, I now feel hot and sweat at various times.

I have seen either situation-absent perspiration or excess perspiration-clearly present in people with low thyroid function. In every case where thyroid function (and symptoms) improved, the sweating function also normalized.

Much depends on how the individual compensates for low metabolism, and how low metabolism developed. The more common health care practitioner auto-response is to only inquire about cold intolerance, briefly.

A person with low thyroid function can be general more sensitive to external temperature. It remains uncommon for doctors to carefully assess heat intolerance when there are other long standing difficulties.
Increased perspiration, mentioned by burtlancast, along with increased temperature, rapid heartbeat, nervousness and more, can certainly be present in the hyperthyroid state. And probably as a percentage, increased perspiration is much more common in overactive thyroid cases.

Other factors, for instance muscle aches, apparent muscle weakness, or anxiety, can be seen in either high or low thyroid states. The context of multiple features in a situation is helpful.

--
http://raypeat.com/articles/other/auton ... tems.shtml

"Every situation demands a special kind of adaptation, and each kind of adaptation requires a special distribution of cellular and organic activity, with its supporting local respiratory activity.

"There is a lot of local self-regulation in the adapting organism, for example when the activated tissue produces increased amounts of carbon dioxide, which dilates blood vessels, delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the tissue. But the distribution of excitation, and the harmonious balancing of the organism’s resources and activities, is achieved by the actions of the cortex of the brain, acting on the subordinate nerve nets, adjusting many factors relating to energy production and use.

"On the level of the mitochondria, adrenaline and acetylcholine have slightly different effects. (Metabolic studies with isolated mitochondria are so remote from the normal cellular condition that their results are nothing more than a hint of what might be occurring in the cell.)"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Thanks, @Peata.. Your experience really highlights the potentially paradoxical symptoms that folks can experience when attempting to improve their metabolism. These meat suits we walk around in are so incredibly complex. Never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks @aguilaroja.. Again, the paradoxical nature of symptoms rears its head. I started reading Peat to try to save my hair (I was experiencing hair loss which has stopped completely within 6 months) but I may pull it out trying to grasp some of Ray's work.

schultz

CoolTweetPete said:
...but I may pull it out trying to grasp some of Ray's work.

:lol:

I am constantly re-reading his articles and listening to the podcasts. It seems I always learn something new each time, which makes me think "how the heck did I not see/hear that before?

I think it's something like this... in order to understand concept "a" you need to understand concept "b" and "c". When you go back and re-read the article with concept "a" after reading the ones with "b" and "c" it starts to make more sense. You start to see the complex connections between all of the systems. Of course, once you start to see the complexity of the system you realize you don't really know that much after all :cry: my job allows me to listen to music or whatever all day, so I have listened to all the Peat podcasts multiple times. Some I have probably listened to 10 times. One reason for this is that if I am working I might miss something because I am only half listening. It's a little embarrassing that after listening to them so much I still learn new things :oops:

My wife wonders how I remember all the science stuff, but I'm not smart, especially in science. I make up for my lack of intellect with sheer volume and determination. How many people are willing to read the same article 10 times?

So keep reading, even if you don't understand it! Eventually things start to click and it's pretty awesome when they do. You'll think "how do people not know this stuff, it's so obvious".

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:goodpost

natedawggh

CoolTweetPete said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95972/ Hello, everyone.

Wondering if anyone could interpret this issue I've had for most of my life. I sweat. A lot. Very easily. I saw on another thread burtlancast mentioned that this is typical of hyperthyroid; However, that would make me a walking paradox because my basal axillary temp is typically 97 degrees (making me about a degree too cool), and my basal HR is very low (about 50bpm).

I recently started on Novotiral (about 1/8 of a pill daily) to try to get these readings up, but I have noticed I am a bit more jittery than I was prior to starting the thyroid meds.

A little context, before Peating, I was on Bulletproof (cyclical ketogenic) for about 2 1/2 years. I was fasting regularly, and my weight was stable, but I felt like s***. I've been on Peat for about 6 months and I feel absolutely fantastic but I have gained a bit of weight. That is why I decided to start on thyroid meds. I've also been a big drinker for about 10 years, so I'm probably on the estrogenic side.

Could it be I am simply genetically cursed? My mother and sister sweat a lot too. It is inconvenient and embarrassing at times.

Would love to get you folks take. :)

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think you've figured it out already. As you said, the ketogenic diet and alcohol are what done ya in. I did the exact same thing.
Your kind of sweating is coming from high estrogen/serotonin/low Testosterone. In this state the body flushes easily and releases heat out to the skin, where the sweat reaction takes place even though you'll be cold and miserable. I have had to completely quit drinking in order to even put a dent in it, and now that I've been sober for 7 months I rarely sweat at inopportune times anymore.

Some current environmental factors that could be affecting this, however:
Chlorine and chloramide in municipal water can react with the iodine and other thyroid minerals in your body, thus lowering your thyroid. (further evidence of this is dry, itchy skin and dense, heavy hair from showering). If you sweat a lot after even a normal shower it is your body expelling the chlorine/chloramide and you should get a vitamin C filter, and increase your iodine/zinc/copper/calcium/magnesium intake.

Milk and other high tryptophan proteins (muscle meats) will quickly convert to serotonin and further lower your temperature and sweat point. I take casein powder from now foods (because it has no toxic additives like soy lecithin) for my main source of protein. The reduced tryptophan ratio in the diet in turn reduces serotonin and the tendency to flush. Niacinamide, calcium, and sugar can help get your metabolism up and this will reduce sweating by lowering estrogen and increasing testosterone. Coffee will help with that too, but yeah don't drink more water than you feel thirsty. I think I also saw a benefit from increasing my zinc intake as well as copper. Increased calcium will also lower prolactin, which in turn will lower serotonin and estrogen.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals