Why do I sweat so much w/ hypothyroid vitals?

CoolTweetPete

Hello, everyone.

I'm glad to be on this forum. Most everyone seems to be fairly knowledgeable (I guess you have to be to even attempt to read Ray's work) and helpful.

Wondering if anyone could interpret this issue I've had for most of my life. I sweat. A lot. Very easily. I saw on another thread burtlancast mentioned that this is typical of hyperthyroid; However, that would make me a walking paradox because my basal axillary temp is typically 97 degrees (making me about a degree too cool), and my basal HR is very low (about 50bpm).

I recently started on Novotiral (about 1/8 of a pill daily) to try to get these readings up, but I have noticed I am a bit more jittery than I was prior to starting the thyroid meds.

A little context, before Peating, I was on Bulletproof (cyclical ketogenic) for about 2 1/2 years. I was fasting regularly, and my weight was stable, but I felt like ***t. I've been on Peat for about 6 months and I feel absolutely fantastic but I have gained a bit of weight. That is why I decided to start on thyroid meds. I've also been a big drinker for about 10 years, so I'm probably on the estrogenic side.

Could it be I am simply genetically cursed? My mother and sister sweat a lot too. It is inconvenient and embarrassing at times.

Would love to get you folks take. :)

Peter

pboy

sweating a lot happens in 2 cases, hyperthyroid but in that case its actually protective and fine, whats happening actually is that...you gotta understand and imagine tonic balance to really see whats happening. If you take in something more dense, hypertonic, the body inevitably wants to get back to homeostatic isotonicity in its entirey. So you take in something dense, and have all the nutrients in balance, it seems or maybe technically does make you temporarily hyper thyroid, the body oxidizes the sugar real fast and/or stores it as glycogen to restore osmotic balance so in the process a lotta Co2 is released via the faster burning of sugar and you end up sweating cause c02 basically takes water vapor with it as it escapes through the skin. In this instance you'll be hotter and generating heat in the process and its good. If you are hypo tonic, in the case of too much fluid and too little osmolly active particles, most notably sugar, the body desperately wants to shed some of the free water so it can get back into homeostasis but the problem is the excess water actually disturbs the efficient function of metabolism, so it cant just like somehow burn extra energy and evaporate the free water, so it dilates the pores in the skin, mostly in the pits cause I guess gravity can help pull excess water from there, to try to leak some water out and restore balance. Its a really inefficient thing. Because metabolism is disturbed you'll be cooler and also serotonin and/or estrogen is released. If you're a more driven personality type or in an active state like you need to be doing things, you'll tend to make estrogen in that situation, and if you're a more chill type person or not in an immediate need to do things time, you'll lean more towards producing serotonin in a hypotonic situation. Either one isn't good. The serotonin will just make you more tired and slow and kinda spacey, the estrogen will make you kind of erratic and shaky and slightly irritable and with a propensity to want to do excessive movement and things to I suppose hope to leak moer water and generate heat. Both states make your memory foggy also and make your life less profound or enjoyable and you're less able to really feel things or think much. In your case, its definitely a hypotonic state, its the kinda cold leaky annoying clammy potentially sweating feeling that comes mostly from the pits but overall you'll feel like your body is trying to sweat and yet kind of ineffective at doing so or that the water is kind of just leaking out and staying more on the skin.

you are not genetically cursed. This is a very common thing that can happen to people who just drink OJ and milk, and in fact is to be expected and predictably happens doing so, because they are both hypotonic solutions compared to what your body wants (what the overall blood/fluids are). The solution is to add about half a tsp of sugar to each 8oz of OJ you drink, about 2.5 tsp sugar to every 8oz milk you drink, and/or eat potentially a dense starch or I suppose meat around the times you are drinking a lot of those fluids. I managed to work out those amounts through much trial and error, lol. You can always add a little more sugar and then you'll go into the other state, the more hyper thyroid but its fine, it gives your body more resources to potentially use...since it has some extra sugar in a dense way, if you need it, it can be used for mucus creation, lubing the GI, aiding elimination, or to make fatty acids or cholesterol if needed either just to repair junctions or to make hormones with...in the hypo tonic state your body cant really make mucus or lipids because in doing so it would just further the problem and make you even more hypo (cause the sugar becomes less osmotic once converted into those other things)

Peat is always very careful in telling people not to drink extra water cause milk and juice and coffee or whatever will surely cover your fluid needs alone, but I think he should also go even further and mention that if you aren't eating that much dryish meat or starch, then you need to actually find a way to make your intake more dense, which is easiest by just adding white sugar. Like I'm certain he has to be doing this in some way with his own diet or he wouldn't be as stable as he is and be able to think as clearly and straight as he does

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I think I need an extra helping of sugar before I read your post again, @pboy! :D :)

I do definitely drink a ***t ton of water on top of the coffee and OJ I drink throughout the day. From what you're saying, I could probably afford to cut back.

I do add sugar to my OJ and milk. I guess i'll keep at it and report back in a few more months. Hopefully the sweating reduces after a few more months (or years) of Peating.

nikotrope

I used to sweat a lot. Improving my tonic balance clearly helped. I can sleep through the night without sweating and the temperature here does not go below 25C these days. Sometimes sweating reappears (often because I would drink too much hypotonic liquids) and just one day with a few tsp of salt solves the issue (but I don't like it so more sugar with liquids is a better solution).

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Thanks, @nikotrope. I need to read more about hypotonic / hypertonic & osmotic processes. I must admit I know close to nothing about them.

Alas, I takeaway, dump sugar in everything! :partydance

tara

pboy said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95976/ Peat is always very careful in telling people not to drink extra water cause milk and juice and coffee or whatever will surely cover your fluid needs alone, but I think he should also go even further and mention that if you aren't eating that much dryish meat or starch, then you need to actually find a way to make your intake more dense, which is easiest by just adding white sugar. Like I'm certain he has to be doing this in some way with his own diet or he wouldn't be as stable as he is and be able to think as clearly and straight as he does

This is not how I read Peat. I have read him as saying don't drink extra water beyond what we we are thirsty for, and that nees can vary a lot depending on environment and metabolic state. I think you can get into trouble by under drinking as well as by over-drinking. If I eat much in the way of solid food, I seem to need some water - not just juice. I have not seen Peat express concern about people drinking lots of OJ and milk, because he seems to think they contain enough minerals etc and maybe sugar to not cause over-hydration imbalances. I think people do sometimes have trouble with too much fluids if they are not eating much solids, as you say pboy.
I think he's talked about adding sugar (and cream) to his coffee?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Thanks for the input, @Tara.

When you say 'solids', would you include semi-solid foods like cheese and butter? I still consume Bulletproof Coffee (MCT oil, small amount of butter) from time to time (albeit loaded with sugar) and have wondered if the butter would be considered a 'solid'. Same with cheese.

SQu

Have you read peat's article on flushing? I mention it because you referred to estrogen. I didn't realize estrogen was causing my sweating, didn't even realize I'd been flushing for years until I read it. If you think that's it, you might consider clonidine.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

sueq said:
Have you read peat's article on flushing? I mention it because you referred to estrogen. I didn't realize estrogen was causing my sweating, didn't even realize I'd been flushing for years until I read it. If you think that's it, you might consider clonidine.

I haven't read that one yet! I'll check it out today. Thanks, @sueq. It very well could be estrogen. I'm intrigued by what Ray has to say about it. This has been something I've wanted to fix for several years.

tara

CoolTweetPete said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95994/ Thanks for the input, @tara.

When you say 'solids', would you include semi-solid foods like cheese and butter? I still consume Bulletproof Coffee (MCT oil, small amount of butter) from time to time (albeit loaded with sugar) and have wondered if the butter would be considered a 'solid'. Same with cheese.

I tend to think in terms of appropriate calorie density when you need it, and also overall nutrients and water consumption over the day.

Exact numbers are going to vary from person to person. For me, I aim to drink to thirst, and this seems to usually be in the range 2.5-3 l water (including juice, soup etc) in a day, and I don't count calories, but I think probably in cooey of 2500 - 3000 or maybe a bit higher most days (but less when I'm unwell). I don't sweat much (probably chronically a little cold). For people who are struggling with fluid balance, I think it can make a difference to spread it out through the day, eg drinking half a glass often, not half a litre or more at one go.

tara

CoolTweetPete said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96010/
sueq said:

I haven't read that one yet! I'll check it out today. Thanks, @sueq. It very well could be estrogen. I'm intrigued by what Ray has to say about it. This has been something I've wanted to fix for several years.
I used to wake up sweating at night from time to time for years. Hardly ever happens lately. Now I can't remember if it has happened at all in the last year or more. I'm guessing it was sudden rises in stress hormones, including possibly estrogen, when glycogen ran out and when hyperventilation got too bad. It's hard to be sure exactly what changed this, but I think it may have been one or more of: keeping my mouth shut at night to limit hyperventilation, eating more sugar, and wearing more bed clothes to keep warmer in bed (this would have been counter intuitive to my previous view that I was sweating because I had too many blankets). I think this problem stopped before I started supplementing progest-e regularly, but if my memory is wrong on this, then the progest-e could well have made the difference.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

tara said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96080/
CoolTweetPete said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96010/
sueq said:

I used to wake up sweating at night from time to time for years. Hardly ever happens lately. Now I can't remember if it has happened at all in the last year or more. I'm guessing it was sudden rises in stress hormones, including possibly estrogen, when glycogen ran out and when hyperventilation got too bad. It's hard to be sure exactly what changed this, but I think it may have been one or more of: keeping my mouth shut at night to limit hyperventilation, eating more sugar, and wearing more bed clothes to keep warmer in bed (this would have been counter intuitive to my previous view that I was sweating because I had too many blankets). I think this problem stopped before I started supplementing progest-e regularly, but if my memory is wrong on this, then the progest-e could well have made the difference.

That is encouraging to hear that it improved for you, @tara. Hopefully my thyroid supplement helps in this respect. Danny Roddy says men are better off using thyroid to increase endogenous progesterone production as he noticed decreased libido when supplementing it.

Thanks again @sueq, that was a fantastic article. Leads me to believe that my problem could well be estrogen-related (as well as the hypotonicity @pboy described earlier). Seems Ray makes a connection between estrogen causing vasodilation (via NO) and loss of heat through the skin at inappropriate levels (likely resulting in sweating).

More carrot salads in my immediate future. :)

SQu

Pleasure! That article changed my life. I didn't realize I was flushing, didn't realize it was a problem either as opposed to a bit of discomfort , but addressing it has got me a long way with problems I did know I had, from sleep to better energy .

Greta

Hello!
This may sound weird, but most hypothyroid patients have also vitamin D deficiency. Have you been checked?
People who have it usually sweat a lot in the face, it's weird! I know! But it's one of the vitamin D deficiency symptons.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

@Greta, thanks. I haven't checked it lately but I have been taking about 10,000 IU's daily for a couple of years. I should definitely get it checked again because that's more than the popular anti agin number of 1000 IU's per 25 lbs of body weight.

Greta

Somepeople, even if they are taking supplements aren't able to raise the number. So you might want to check it :)
Also having a good level of vitamin D is really important for the thyroid health

pboy

I'm just poking fun, at the inhumanity of calling people 'patients' its like calling people 'clients' or 'the market'

Peata

I'm the opposite where I almost never sweated and would be cold in situations where others were hot. Since I seem to be improving my metabolism, I now feel hot and sweat at various times.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals