Why do I slim down (almost too much) when I cut out starch completely?

ursidae

My body fat, especially breasts and thighs disappears on no starch. Start looking sick and infertile

Apple

No wonder I haven't been losing my Christmas pounds in spite of avoiding starch. I've been drinking 4-8 beers every week. Time to switch to cider.

There is no starch in beer, sugars - yes.
In beer starch is fermented and broken down into simple sugars.
Tha't why it is easy to gain weight on beer

gaze

i think the estrogenicity of the hops is more likely to lead to weight gain than the sugars

meatbag

HD: To go back to developing breasts, the term is gynecomastia, correct? For drinkers of hoppy beer (beer that has an extreme infusion of hops), gynecomastia isn't an uncommon sight?

RP: It's not only the phytoestrogens from the hops, but the yeast that all of the alcoholic drinks require. The yeast, produces estradiol, the powerful human hormone, as their own reproductive hormone.

HD: Interestingly enough, hops extract is the latest miticide for the bees industry. And the brand new thing is called Hopguard, and somehow it kills mites but not bees.

HD: I wonder if there's an anti-parasitic compound besides the estrogenic resin that's in hops? Also, female hops pickers are notoriously known to stop menstruating because it's such a high level of hormones that they get exposed to through their skin. And that's a similar situation we have in Humboldt County with people being exposed to clippings and having their resins go through their skin, because hops and cannabis are in the same plant family .

RP: And both those hormones in beer, and, less in most of the wines, but alcoholic drinks in general, with the estrogen from the yeast at least, will stimulate the adrenals to produce both estrogen and cortisol, and all kinds of estrogens increase the cortisol exposure. And so, the cortisol makes the big belly, and the estrogens, among others things, contribute to the breast growth.
KMUD: Hair Loss, Inflammation and Osteoporosis (2012)

schultz

The majority of calories in beer are from the alcohol (alcohol is 7 calories per gram).

I would imagine if there is weight gain from beer it is from the metabolic effects of the alcohol or the potential estrogenic effects from the plant (hops, if present) or yeast. Or just drinking too much.

There is like 40 calories worth of carbohydrate in a can of beer.

Apple

The majority of calories in beer are from the alcohol (alcohol is 7 calories per gram).

I would imagine if there is weight gain from beer it is from the metabolic effects of the alcohol or the potential estrogenic effects from the plant (hops, if present) or yeast. Or just drinking too much.

There is like 40 calories worth of carbohydrate in a can of beer.
Yeah, there is a good amount of carbs in beer , simple sugars, but It doesn't contain starch

schultz

Yeah, there is a good amount of carbs in beer , simple sugars, but It doesn't contain starch

I guess that depends on what you define a "good amount" as? A bottle of beer has 12.7g of carbohydrates, whereas a can of coke has 39g of carbohydrates. They have the same number of calories.

I don't think beer has a lot of simple sugars in it (defined as mono- or di-saccharides). It's polysaccharides mostly.

Salome

Jasmine rice with coconut oil and butter, and shredded potatoes with coconut oil/butter, are so satisfying and make me feel very good. I have given up wheat and bread, but I like these two starches too much to let them go easily!!!! I love fruit but it just isn't as satisfying, it's like my body is craving warm fatty salty carbs. But I am trying to lose weight (current 160, goal 145, I'm 5'10"). I have been eating what feels like huge quantities of food since starting a Peaty diet, feel warmer, faster heart rate, and don't seem to be gaining fat, but also not losing any. Anyone have advice? Sorry for sloppy writing I am sleepy.

RPDiciple

Hmm if you are actually managing your calories and eat the same amount then its interesting for sure. How are your pulse and temp? Does it increase when you cut out starch? Anything else you notice?

youngsinatra

At the moment eating 625g of basmati rice a day. (weighed uncooked)
Fruit could never fill the caloric gap for me and neither coke nor OJ — these are more like additions to my diet.

baccheion

Where was the loss? Any DEXA scan or other measure to see if it's lean, fat, and/or water mass?

Dr. B

That sounds reasonable. If I remember correctly, this effect (water retention) is also seen in low carb diets. That would explain why I had the same effects with a no-starch diet than during my brief low carb phase.

I also have less/no acne when I cut out starches completely. That might support your inflammation theory.
do you mean the lack of water retention is seen in low carb diets?
i heard they can also cause water retention. carbs going low, means stress goes up, cortisol goes up, water retention goes up.

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context
-
"Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association."
-

its correct but that term complex carbohydrates is variable, ive seen people use complex carbs to refer to things like honey or just fruits with lots of fiber... I think Ray means complex starch carbs when he says that? like whole grain wheat, rice, oatmeal, bread etc?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals