Why Do I Need Less Thyroid When I’m On Antibiotics?

Ravenslore

I’m on amoxicillin-clavulanate 875 mg-125 mg oral tablets right now (halfway through 7 days) for a sinus infection and I noticed my thyroid is suddenly high.

normally i am stable on 13 drops/day TyroMax. I’ve been using that for years.

I recalled that this happens every time I go on antibiotics. I never remember to expect it. But always a few days into a course of antibiotics I start having trouble sleeping. I get a high heart rate with a restless feeling and dry swollen eyes and know my thyroid dose is a shade high and needs to be adjusted.

then after I stop antibiotics it goes back to normal. Maybe this has something to do with being on tetracycline for years at a time in high school?

i’m 40 years old, female. I’ve had hypothyroidism since about 2006. It developed some time during the period I was managing a bakery, then started working in a stock room with refugees from Iran and Somalia, and then got Whooping Cough and was bed ridden for a month. My mom and my sister also have hypothyroidism. My sister’s is confirmed Hashimotos.

what does this fluctuating dosage requirement mean about the cause of my thyroid problem?

Tarmander

It's a good question. I notice lower blood sugars while on antibiotics, and also some of the symptoms you mentioned like restlessness.

Is it the bacteria die off? The action of the antibiotic itself?

I noticed it more with minocycline then with erythromycin

boris

Sounds like an underlying low grade infection is lowering your thyroid activity.

Could for example be bacterial overgrowth in the gut.

Peaty ways to keep gut bacteria in check would be limiting starchy foods and avoiding certain types of fiber like raw salads etc and focusing more on fruits. If you eat starch, then potatoes, rice, sourdough and nixtamalized corn is best. Regular bread and resistant starches feed bacteria. Combine starch with fat to limit inflammatory processes.
A raw carrot a day or cooked mushrooms to sweep out the intestine.

theLaw

Could for example be bacterial overgrowth in the gut.

100%. :darts: Just start looking at people's tongues; they're basically all coated, no matter how healthy they look.

I would only add that even when you get rid of the infection you still need to address the underlying issue (probably compromised liver) or it will return.

Personally, I don't think that removing starches is practical for everyone, so cleaning out the liver (caffeine/taurine/Vit K/glycine), and then finding a practical maintenance schedule for keeping the gut clean is a viable alternative.

Cheers!:D

OP
Ravenslore

Ravenslore

I'm not sure if my tongue gets coated because I clean it pretty aggressively when i brush.

I've loosened up starch (from root vegetables) restrictions over the past year because prior to that I'd been on a strict ketogenic diet for far too long and it severely impacted my metabolism. I do avoid fibers other than carrots and artichoke hearts. I eat raw carrots every morning.

Mostly my diet is pasture raised soft boiled eggs, a little kefir with pasture raised chicken gelatin and marmalade in it, an orange or grapefruit, sometimes a banana, goat cheese with honey, and then I often have sprouted organic cocoa rice krispies for dinner or no dinner... depending if I'm hungry or not. I drink a ton of coffee with Himalayan salt, sugar and A2 milk in it throughout the day. I take magnesium glycinate and a B complex with niacinimide in it. . . . I think that's about it most days. If my calories are inadequate sometimes i splurge on tapioca pearl tea, a mashed potato or Brazilian cheese rolls. . . or just a chunk of grass-fed cheddar cheese.

These are all good suggestions. I think I will look into restricting myself to foods that digest completely before reaching the large intestine. It's possible I could have had an infection in there for a long long time, since this thyroid issue has been there a long time. Although I think I would have killed it all off once when I did a 43 day raw goat milk fast.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if anyone has a good resource for information about foods that digest before the large intestine.

Michael Mohn

... If my calories are inadequate sometimes i splurge on tapioca pearl tea, a mashed potato or Brazilian cheese rolls. . . or just a chunk of grass-fed

I think your calories and protein are inadequate. Just a hunch. Try eating 30g of protein for breakfast (better every meal). Only animal protein counts. Your metabolism might raise without the need for thyroid. And don't eat grapefruit, blocks your liver!

OP
Ravenslore

Ravenslore

Are cheese, eggs and gelatin enough or does it have to be from meat?

Michael Mohn

Are cheese, eggs and gelatin enough or does it have to be from meat?
On paper dairy & eggs should be fine, in reality I find meat much more anabolic then dairy&egg or fish but that might be just preference. Gelatin shouldn't be counted into your protein needs.

Peater Pan

I’m on amoxicillin-clavulanate 875 mg-125 mg oral tablets right now (halfway through 7 days) for a sinus infection and I noticed my thyroid is suddenly high.

normally i am stable on 13 drops/day TyroMax. I’ve been using that for years.

I recalled that this happens every time I go on antibiotics. I never remember to expect it. But always a few days into a course of antibiotics I start having trouble sleeping. I get a high heart rate with a restless feeling and dry swollen eyes and know my thyroid dose is a shade high and needs to be adjusted.

then after I stop antibiotics it goes back to normal. Maybe this has something to do with being on tetracycline for years at a time in high school?

i’m 40 years old, female. I’ve had hypothyroidism since about 2006. It developed some time during the period I was managing a bakery, then started working in a stock room with refugees from Iran and Somalia, and then got Whooping Cough and was bed ridden for a month. My mom and my sister also have hypothyroidism. My sister’s is confirmed Hashimotos.

what does this fluctuating dosage requirement mean about the cause of my thyroid problem?
Maybe your gut functions better?

Michael Mohn

Yes, it absolutely should.

What exactly do you mean?

Recommended daily glycine intake is 8g that translates into >25g of gelatine. Peat recommends at least 100g of protein per day. Minus 25g gelatine that would put you at 75g protein, for a taller or active person of let's say 80kg that would put you under 1g protein / kg bodyweight. Not ideal. Peat said in several interviews that he recommends 100g of protein plus glycine or gelatine. He said an intake of up to 100g of gelatin per day can be beneficial.

tankasnowgod

What exactly do you mean?

Recommended daily glycine intake is 8g that translates into >25g of gelatine. Peat recommends at least 100g of protein per day. Minus 25g gelatine that would put you at 75g protein, for a taller or active person of let's say 80kg that would put you under 1g protein / kg bodyweight. Not ideal. Peat said in several interviews that he recommends 100g of protein plus glycine or gelatine. He said an intake of up to 100g of gelatin per day can be beneficial.

But gelatin IS protein. So 25g of geltain plus 75g of other protein clearly adds up to 100g, not 75g. I have no idea why you would think otherwise.

If you read this article from Peat, he clearly suggests that it counts towards daily protein intake-

Gelatin, stress, longevity

"It happens that gelatin is a protein which contains no tryptophan, and only small amounts of cysteine, methionine, and histidine. Using gelatin as a major dietary protein is an easy way to restrict the amino acids that are associated with many of the problems of aging."

If you have those interviews where he suggests otherwise, please link them.

In your example, you would be getting more than 8g of glycine a day. Glycine is found in the greatest concentration in gelatin, but it's still a very common amino acid in other proteins. Not that that would be a bad thing. Some studies have found up to 60g of glycine a day to be beneficial.

Michael Mohn

As a general rule you should eat as much or as little protein as it makes you feel good. These numbers are recommendations for orientation if there are problems, not gospel. 1.2 - 1.8 g of protein per kilo per day are recommended. The 8g of glycine is what you need to supplement because the total glycine need is about 10-11g and most people don't get more then 3-4g with a standard diet. A small woman of 50kg eating 60g of protein where is the place for 25g of gelatine? You should always get enough glycine plus the other aminos/protein.

Waynish

Probably because almost no one needs thyroid if they would regenerate their liver's thyroid conversion abilities. Antibiotics can unburden the liver in many ways.

T

TheBeard

Probably because almost no one needs thyroid if they would regenerate their liver's thyroid conversion abilities. Antibiotics can unburden the liver in many ways.

It's a trade off.
They alleviate some load off the liver by reducing endotoxin, and directly burden it by their very need of being processed by the liver.

Peater Pan

Except the millions who have little tissue left due to Hashi's destruction.

AdoTintor

so if endotoxin produces excess serotonin who deals with that? - is that the liver too? I recall the liver deals with excess estrogen and this interfers with the liver converting t4 to t3 conversion.

OP
Ravenslore

Ravenslore

If I made a list of everything that happens in the body I bet 80% of it would be in the liver. I'd go so far as to say that any disease or condition in the body (excluding some caused by acute trauma) is caused by the liver failing to do something it is meant to do. And in modern times I think that's always a combination of excessive load of substances to process combined with deficiencies of the substances needed to do the processing. The liver clears hormones out of the system after they're no longer needed. Cells have optimal performance with no hormones, or only progesterone. Plus, some substances the liver needs to remove require very rare substances to clear them out, such as limonene from citrus peels or certain compounds found only in dill weed or caraway.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals