Why do I feel like crap when I first wake up but feel great in the evenings?

opethfeldt

I've been struggling with this for a long time now. I sleep well but upon waking, I'm groggy as all hell and usually with a sour mood to match. This sometimes improves somewhat after I eat breakfast and lunch but I only really feel optimal in the evenings. It's to the degree where I feel like a different person. Patient, calm, loving. Exactly how I'd like to be all day, every day. I was wondering if there was something I was missing and if this was something someone else struggles with or whether it's simply the cortisol awakening response and gradual decline over the course of the day that causes this and I just gotta live with it. Thanks in advance.

lampofred

Do you know your TSH levels? I think high TSH can cause that. TSH is high in the mornings and goes down as the day progresses.

OP
opethfeldt

opethfeldt

Do you know your TSH levels? I think high TSH can cause that. TSH is high in the mornings and goes down as the day progresses.
Haven't tested. I know I'm not hypo. My temps and pulse are great. Even my waking temps are pretty good. You could be right, though. Only thing is, I don't get much improvement even if I take T3/T4 with breakfast.

you might actually be a night owl and not know it. for years when I had a different career and life, I used to have to wake up at 6-7 am . Once I changed started my own business and work remotely and from home, I make my own schedule. I found that I naturally go to sleep about 2am and wake up at 10 am and feel much better by changing up my sleep schedule. maybe try to change it up if you can ??

I don't snore but sometimes I mouth breath if my sinuses are plugged up. I have a nice dust allergy - also, I have a deviated septum that I think was from 90s clubbing cocaine use but my ENT says he thinks it is a birth defect. I can only really breathe out of one nostril but when I take serrapeptase it almost feels like I can breathe out of the other. I wont get an surgery done on my nose bc it's super cute and I dont want it messed up . haha ( but I am kind of serious. )

I have the same problem. I have difficulty falling and staying asleep. I also have chronic fatigue & POTS. I think when, during the day, I push past the point of fatigue, cortisol and adrenaline kick in, and it takes a while for it to deplete sufficiently in order to fall asleep. It appears that I get wired while doing tasks in preparation for getting ready for bed.

reaching

I don't snore but sometimes I mouth breath if my sinuses are plugged up. I have a nice dust allergy - also, I have a deviated septum that I think was from 90s clubbing cocaine use but my ENT says he thinks it is a birth defect. I can only really breathe out of one nostril but when I take serrapeptase it almost feels like I can breathe out of the other. I wont get an surgery done on my nose bc it's super cute and I dont want it messed up . haha ( but I am kind of serious. )
I feel you on the sinus and only being able to partially breathe.
I might just go get a cpap but haven’t researched it much.

I just know I’m groggy and moody when I’m tired and it’s all the time because sleep sucks because I can’t breathe out of my nose. Somethings help temporarily but haven’t found the cure all yet

I feel you on the sinus and only being able to partially breathe.
I might just go get a cpap but haven’t researched it much.

I just know I’m groggy and moody when I’m tired and it’s all the time because sleep sucks because I can’t breathe out of my nose. Somethings help temporarily but haven’t found the cure all yet
Not sure if you have tried spray magnesium. ,but if I spray that on the soles of my feet at night , like 5 to 10 sprays , it really helps a deep sleep. I like the Life- Flo brand.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not sure if you have tried spray magnesium. ,but if I spray that on the soles of my feet at night , like 5 to 10 sprays , it really helps a deep sleep. I like the Life- Flo brand.
Nice!

Makrosky

I've been struggling with this for a long time now. I sleep well but upon waking, I'm groggy as all hell and usually with a sour mood to match. This sometimes improves somewhat after I eat breakfast and lunch but I only really feel optimal in the evenings. It's to the degree where I feel like a different person. Patient, calm, loving. Exactly how I'd like to be all day, every day. I was wondering if there was something I was missing and if this was something someone else struggles with or whether it's simply the cortisol awakening response and gradual decline over the course of the day that causes this and I just gotta live with it. Thanks in advance.
This is actually a huge topic. I am also the same sometimes in my life. Like right now. But others I feel much better if I wake up early. Even very early. And it might be related if what I have to do motivates me. Even if it is just something not exciting per se but just "new". Something as unexciting as going to a Dr. consultation in a different part of the city.

Whenever tedious routine (percieved) sets in, then I always feel like you described.

Another thing is : have you tried to change the bed position? not kidding. Earth lines and stuff affect sleep.

Night has always had its own "charm" depending on your character. There is something intrinsically pretty and unique about being wake til late. The world has stopped, there is silence, you feel... dunno man, you know what I mean. And of course the astral qi penetrates the atmosphere and gets to you while awake. It is kind of addictive.

Last edited:
YES! I love super late night chill- and the vibe of nothing. I already live in a low-density place which is tricky to find in Southern California because noise of any kind makes me koo koo. Unless, its is NYC and it's super busy and crazy and that is different well... bc NYC rules and all. I conjured up a theory a while back , as us kooky California witchy types do... that birth time has a lot to do with when you want to wake up naturally. I was born at 10:06 am and darn if I don't wake up around that time naturally. ( but again, just some weird theory I have ) It might have to do with morning cortisol etc as well. I tried for a long time to not wake up early in an attempt to heal my " adrenal fatigue " ( was formally diagnosed with that at one pt. ) so I started to just " go back to sleep " when I would naturally pop out of bed at 7am and it stuck . The only thing that super wonks up my sleep pattern now is waaaaayyyyy to much coffee late at night sometimes, and of course daylight savings time. I wish that wasn't a thing. blah blah .. im going on and on lol

Razvan

This is usually from high prolactin,cause it gets even higher in the night and prolactin is very well known to cause grogginess and tired feeling just like after you drink. This can be resolved in a number a ways but I will personally start with high dosage vitamin E before sleeping 800Iu or immediately after you wake up.

Matestube

This is usually from high prolactin,cause it gets even higher in the night and prolactin is very well known to cause grogginess and tired feeling just like after you drink. This can be resolved in a number a ways but I will personally start with high dosage vitamin E before sleeping 800Iu or immediately after you wake up.

@opethfeldt a better way than this to lower prolactin is vitamin B6.
Make sure to take a full B complex to not create imbalances in other B vitamins.

AdoTintor

Perhaps it could be endotoxin? I would always wake feeling unrefreshed and groggy and want to sleep in if I could but after camphosal or minocycline or doxy the time required in sleep is reduced substantially.

To figure out if it might be endotoxin you could do a harmless experiment like flush out your system with magnesium (or salt, or take an enema) in the evening and see if that effects things come morning. Dealing with endotoxin may be a big drain on the system.

Grouptose

The same thing happened to me until I switched my sleep schedule, I started sleeping way earlier and waking up way earlier and now it resolved itself. I feel bad towards the night and feel motivated and excited in the morning now. Hopefully it stays like this