Why do eggs and rice all of a sudden smell sour to me? Sweat also smells sour after consumption, given that i exercise.

EmperorOfMan

I have also noticed that i have become extremely sensitive to this smell, at the office, peoples food often has this odor now which frankly smells disgusting to me, but nobody else seems to notice/mind. My initial thoughts were that i was sweating out the PUFA in the eggs i consume, but i noticed the same smell in rice, which doesn't to my knowledge contain pufa. Either way, the same smell does seem to keep popping up everywhere i go (given that im in the vicinity of food) and im not sure if im going crazy or have just become very attuned to noticing toxic smells ever since i cut out PUFA consumption by about 90%, and started taking aspirin. (I also take 10 000 iu of vitamin D a day, not sure if this could be a factor). I have noticed that the smell of my sweat has also changed in general, perhaps sweating releases PUFA? Does anybody have any guesses as to what is going on? Thanks

Demyze

I have also noticed that i have become extremely sensitive to this smell, at the office, peoples food often has this odor now which frankly smells disgusting to me, but nobody else seems to notice/mind. My initial thoughts were that i was sweating out the PUFA in the eggs i consume, but i noticed the same smell in rice, which doesn't to my knowledge contain pufa. Either way, the same smell does seem to keep popping up everywhere i go (given that im in the vicinity of food) and im not sure if im going crazy or have just become very attuned to noticing toxic smells ever since i cut out PUFA consumption by about 90%, and started taking aspirin. (I also take 10 000 iu of vitamin D a day, not sure if this could be a factor). I have noticed that the smell of my sweat has also changed in general, perhaps sweating releases PUFA? Does anybody have any guesses as to what is going on? Thanks
Could be ammonia. I'm experimenting with low protein intake as when I sweat I have an ammonia smell

Your sweat smells like ammonia? | 11 common reasons

How many eggs you eating? How much asprin are you taking?

Last edited:
OP
EmperorOfMan

EmperorOfMan

Could be ammonia. I'm experimenting with low protein intake as when I sweat I have an ammonia smell

usually i eat 3 eggs, and take 1000 mg of aspirin in the mornings, alongside vitamin D. Today i wen for a run and noticed the same sour smell in my hair, although it was very feint, almost nothing compared to the smell after eating rice/eggs.

I'm.No.One

Have you had covid? I deal with a lot of people who are desperate to get rid of the exact smell you're describing, it's so bad in some they're tasting it too. Might not be that but thought it might be worth sharing.

jacob

I started having a similar experience a few months ago after what I believe was my second experience with covid. I’m not certain it’s from covid, but I suspect it is

Initially the smell/taste was only with eggs. Then I started noticing it in other foods (mostly meat). Now most (but not all) foods that I eat have this mystery smell/taste

Demyze

usually i eat 3 eggs, and take 1000 mg of aspirin in the mornings, alongside vitamin D. Today i wen for a run and noticed the same sour smell in my hair, although it was very feint, almost nothing compared to the smell after eating rice/eggs.
I'm not sure if you're having sufficient carbohydrate with the eggs or what the rest of your diet is like. You might be oxidizing amino acids and producing ammonia. You could try just a glass of milk and a lot of juice (like 100g carbohydrate) and see if that helps

Also not sure what eggs you're eating but most are fed soy or flax and have a lot of PUFA. The flax "soy free" ones made me feel very unwell and I had a lot of side effects

Demyze

I started having a similar experience a few months ago after what I believe was my second experience with covid. I’m not certain it’s from covid, but I suspect it is

Initially the smell/taste was only with eggs. Then I started noticing it in other foods (mostly meat). Now most (but not all) foods that I eat have this mystery smell/taste
High estrogen can cause extreme smell sensitivity, have you ever gotten blood work?

Gânico

From my experience, cooked foods always resulted in bad smells, but usually only at armpits

blob69

I can't know what exactly you are smelling but some family members and myself developed what I believe is a heightened sensitivity to sulfur a while ago... here I described my experience: Haven't seen anybody in weeks, still caught COVID... How?!

I guess I could describe it as smelling onions or garlic pickled in vinegar, but in very strange things like gasoline!

We related it to covid because we read about similar issues developing after respiratory infections, but then again, I cannot be sure that's the cause. It's just that several people who had the same type of flu (labeled "covid") at the same time in November all developed this some months later.

I

i_nomad

My wife and I both lost our smell and taste (her entirely) after COVID. Eventually it became slightly better, but then the sour smell hit her first, pretty hard, and then me. Has stuck around for a couple of months. Really common among widely different things. Various food, and not consistent. I can go from have a BM in the bathroom or changing my daughter and then open the fridge and have both smell the same. (New fridge, very clean).

It’s infuriating. I may also be losing my sanity.

Edit: we aren’t vaccinated. Not sure if that matters, but I’ve only really seen people mention it in relation to post covid.

OP
EmperorOfMan

EmperorOfMan

i am actually intaking little to no protein atm. Not because i want to, but i cant really afford the meat i want to eat. The chicken sold at my local costco and grocery stores is kind of gross, or atleast, has become increasingly un tastefull to me as ive been implementing a healthier "peaty" diet. When i have eaten it, i would broil it, and it was kind of crazy how much fat was come out of the chicken, Do you have any alternative protein recommendations? Thankyou for the insight

OP
EmperorOfMan

EmperorOfMan

I can't know what exactly you are smelling but some family members and myself developed what I believe is a heightened sensitivity to sulfur a while ago... here I described my experience: Haven't seen anybody in weeks, still caught COVID... How?!

I guess I could describe it as smelling onions or garlic pickled in vinegar, but in very strange things like gasoline!

We related it to covid because we read about similar issues developing after respiratory infections, but then again, I cannot be sure that's the cause. It's just that several people who had the same type of flu (labeled "covid") at the same time in November all developed this some months later.
My wife and I both lost our smell and taste (her entirely) after COVID. Eventually it became slightly better, but then the sour smell hit her first, pretty hard, and then me. Has stuck around for a couple of months. Really common among widely different things. Various food, and not consistent. I can go from have a BM in the bathroom or changing my daughter and then open the fridge and have both smell the same. (New fridge, very clean).

Edit: we aren’t vaccinated. Not sure if that matters, but I’ve only really seen people mention it in relation to post covid.
Wow! this could be it. This explains why nobody seems to be noticing the smell in my office during lunch time but to me its very strong. Does this also mean that i dont actually smell like sulphur and that its just my oversensitivity to it thats causing the issues? I think its possible that aspirin has a role in this, as the sour smell did start around the time i started supplementing it As another uses pointed out earlier, it could also be due to low protein intake.//// In general my nose has become extremely sensitive to any fatty smells, in fact most of the food at work that people eat smells bad to me, almost as if my body is telling me to stay away. I can definitely tell my diet is having pretty drastic effects on my entire body as even the texture of my skin is changing. Did either of you make any progress with this smell btw?

OP
EmperorOfMan

EmperorOfMan

Have you had covid? I deal with a lot of people who are desperate to get rid of the exact smell you're describing, it's so bad in some they're tasting it too. Might not be that but thought it might be worth sharing.
Yes, dont remeber when the smell first started though. Have you made any progress with your clients?

I'm.No.One

Yes, dont remeber when the smell first started though. Have you made any progress with your clients?
Yep with Lions mane mushroom to help restore the olfactory nerves.

Helped me too. For me everything smelled musty/moldy/rotten & ironically I actually couldn't smell my armpits anymore.

Took about 2 weeks to start seeing improvement with the Lions mane, after a month my smell was back to about 85%.

I

i_nomad

Wow! this could be it. This explains why nobody seems to be noticing the smell in my office during lunch time but to me its very strong. Does this also mean that i dont actually smell like sulphur and that its just my oversensitivity to it thats causing the issues? I think its possible that aspirin has a role in this, as the sour smell did start around the time i started supplementing it As another uses pointed out earlier, it could also be due to low protein intake.//// In general my nose has become extremely sensitive to any fatty smells, in fact most of the food at work that people eat smells bad to me, almost as if my body is telling me to stay away. I can definitely tell my diet is having pretty drastic effects on my entire body as even the texture of my skin is changing. Did either of you make any progress with this smell btw?
Yeah, my wife rarely takes aspirin, while I am taking it daily. No difference there. Low protein could be a thing since we aren’t getting enough to meet the recommended 20%.

I have also heard that it could be a break between the actual sensory organs and the brain’s ability to process the information.

I will say that my diet has been having some odd effects on my body lately, as well. Stress-inducing, to say the least.

jdrop

Same for about 7 months. Slight variations and getting a bit better over time. I cannot smell excrement, at least not in the same way I used to - human, chicken, dog, almost nothing. Cannot smell a fart on most days. There are now mostly classes of smells, very few individual smells that I experience at the moment. My sense of smell was rather incredible, I feel a bit lost without it. Cooking is no fun anymore. Hoping it continues to improve.

Jerkboy

My taste was also affected by COVID. Now back to normal. Eat high zinc foods for a while and your taste returns to normal. At least mine did.

blob69

I don't think most can smell the sulfur, so you can relax about it. I asked someone if they can smell the sulfur in our garage (from gasoline) and they said it just smells like gasoline. I don't think we made much progress with it since February when it appeared, apart from getting used to it a bit. But I can live with it. I wonder what this signifies though, because I don't think nature does things randomly like the doctrine teaches.

But I wonder why you mention rice? We only smell/taste the sulfur where it is known to be (i.e. n onions, eggs), and as far as I know rice is not one of those foods. Do you smell the onions and gasoline too? Not every gasoline smells though...

carlz

For me, all yogurts and other fermented dairy smells horrible. And for my husband, sadly, coke tastes awful! We had covid back in December. Will try more oysters.

OP
EmperorOfMan

EmperorOfMan

I don't think most can smell the sulfur, so you can relax about it. I asked someone if they can smell the sulfur in our garage (from gasoline) and they said it just smells like gasoline. I don't think we made much progress with it since February when it appeared, apart from getting used to it a bit. But I can live with it. I wonder what this signifies though, because I don't think nature does things randomly like the doctrine teaches.

But I wonder why you mention rice? We only smell/taste the sulfur where it is known to be (i.e. n onions, eggs), and as far as I know rice is not one of those foods. Do you smell the onions and gasoline too? Not every gasoline smells though...
I personally dont smell the sulfur smell in gasoline, only in certain foods. I do remember one situation where i smelled sulfur outside on the street, but its hard to say if it was from the cars passing by or if it was from some other unknown source. I dont usually smell it though when im near cars. Have you by chance tried using lions mane as another user earlier mentioned?