Why Crown Prince Oysters?

J

James IV

Anyone here concerned about the bacteria in oysters? I eat the smoked ones from crown prince and am wondering if the smoking method would kill most of the harmful bacteria? I don't want to have to exclude oysters but the chances of getting some sort of sickness from them is worrying.

All food will contain bacteria to some extent. If something contains nutritional value, it's likely bacteria will eat it. Cooking directly before eating should eliminate enough to not cause problems. Your digestive system will do the rest, as long as you are healthy.

EIRE24

All food will contain bacteria to some extent. If something contains nutritional value, it's likely bacteria will eat it. Cooking directly before eating should eliminate enough to not cause problems. Your digestive system will do the rest, as long as you are healthy.

Well, I'm guessing there's a lot more chance of the raw oysters containing more bacteria. Would it make sense to cook the already smoked oysters?

J

James IV

Well, I'm guessing there's a lot more chance of the raw oysters containing more bacteria. Would it make sense to cook the already smoked oysters?

It's unlikely bacteria would be a problem if you eat them immediately after opening them. But heating them up would be extra insurance.

For raw seafood the freshness makes all the difference. I personally won't eat anything raw that wasn't killed the same day.

CoolTweetPete

Napoleon brand oysters are about $1 or more cheaper everywhere I see them. ($1.99 vs. $2.99+ for Crown Prince)

They're in cottonseed oil, but washing the can out with warm-hot water and giving them a light squeeze with a paper towel works. This might also help with the bacterial concern.

jammer

I get really sick after consuming mussels. I think I recall reading that Peat says to be careful as you can develop an allergic reaction to shellfish easily. But the weird thing is, I can easily tolerate oysters, scallops, shrimp and pretty much everything else besides mussels. Anybody else experience something like this? Because I am absolutely terrified of mussels these days...

noordinary

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

PeatBull

Ow, im eating a lot of raw oysters, not good idea then. The problem is that he i cant find canned ones, and they are more expensive aswell. Someone cookes the oysters? Not like the idea..,

Advocate2021

I usually purchase my smoked Crown Prince oysters from Trader Joe's, but have also ordered the Red Chili Pepper variety (which is delicious) online....all cans are BPA FREE, at least they are labeled as such.

Smoked Oysters | Whole Boiled Oysters | Crown Prince Natural
Where is there verification that the can for the Crown Prince smoked in olive oil is BPA free? I bought some of these from Trader Joe's, poured off the olive oil and put four of them in a bowl and ate them. Had an immediate reaction to a substance from the can I believe--felt metallic.

Doc Sandoz

Where is there verification that the can for the Crown Prince smoked in olive oil is BPA free? I bought some of these from Trader Joe's, poured off the olive oil and put four of them in a bowl and ate them. Had an immediate reaction to a substance from the can I believe--felt metallic.
For what it may be worth, this site says CP oysters are BPA free: 8 Companies That Use BPA-Free Lining In Canned Foods

Back
Top Bottom