Why Cant I Run Anymore

So I used to easily run 4-5 miles without any issue. A couple of years ago I switched to inline speed skating (~50-70 miles/wk) and stopped my normal runs. Speed skating is supposed to have similar cardio effects as cycling but probably not as much as running.

Just recently I tried running again and cant last more than a couple hundred yards without feeling light headed and out of breath, kind of like I stood up to fast.

Im slowly trying to buildup my running again but Im not getting very far with it. Any ideas as to what's going on? Does being in shape in one exercise form not translate to another. seems odd. I still consider myself to be in pretty good shape and inline skating cant be that much less in cardio benefits

Last edited:

yerrag

You're gliding a lot with inline speed skating and you're not exerting effort except when your pushing, isn't that right?

This isn't the same as running for long distances.

I used to sprint very well at 100m races but was poor at long distance running as I lose wind rather quickly. 1 km is when I give up.

I was hypoxemic it turns out from mercury toxicity. Once I dealt with the toxicity by removing my mercury fillings and undergoing chelation, I could run uphill straight for 5 km without breaking a sweat, with no training.

Last edited:

EIRE24

You're gliding a lot with I line speed skating and you're not exerting effort except when your pushing, isn't that right?

I used to sprint very well at 100m races but was poor at long distance running as I lose wind rather quickly. 1 km is when I give up.

I was hypoxemic it turns out from mercury toxicity. Once I dealt with the toxicity by removing my mercury fillings and undergoing chelation, I could run uphill straight for 5 km without breaking a sweat, with no training.
What did you use for chelation?

yerrag

What did you use for chelation?
Since it's 20 years ago, I'm not sure if it was DMPS or DMSA. I left it to my naturopathic doctor then as I wasn't very detail-oriented then.

OP
T
You're gliding a lot with inline speed skating and you're not exerting effort except when your pushing, isn't that right?

You glide about 1/3 the time but it still seems like a pretty good workout. And if you're sprinting or going into the wind there isnt much gliding. Throw in a double push and I get home drenched in sweat.

It just seems so strange that my tolerance to jogging (even slowly) is down to almost nothing. Im hoping it is decoditioning as the other options arent so great.

Glad you got the mercury fillings out and detoxed.

Last edited:

Hgreen56

So I used to easily run 4-5 miles without any issue. A couple of years ago I switched to inline speed skating (~50-70 miles/wk) and stopped my normal runs. Speed skating is supposed to have similar cardio effects as cycling but probably not as much as running.

Just recently I tried running again and cant last more than a couple hundred yards without feeling light headed and out of breath, kind of like I stood up to fast.

Im slowly trying to buildup my running again but Im not getting very far with it. Any ideas as to what's going on? Does being in shape in one exercise form not translate to another. seems odd. I still consider myself to be in pretty good shape and inline skating cant be that much less in cardio benefits
do you take Lysine?

Hans

Forum Supporter
You glide about 1/3 the time but it still seems like a pretty good workout. And if you're sprinting or going into the wind there isnt much gliding. Throw in a double push and I get home drenched in sweat.

It just seems so strange that my tolerance to jogging (even slowly) is down to almost nothing. Im hoping it is decoditioning as the other options arent so great.

Glad you got the mercury fillings out and detoxed.
Running is a lot more impact than skating. So with skating you exercise your muscles by pushing a lot, but with running, it's this short relatively high impact movements over and over non-stop. Maybe that plays a role.

OP
T
Running is a lot more impact than skating. So with skating you exercise your muscles by pushing a lot, but with running, it's this short relatively high impact movements over and over non-stop. Maybe that plays a role.
Yeah Im starting to see running in a completely different category than other activities.

I've seen posts from 20 mile walkers and 100 mile cyclists who all complain they cant run at all. Im going to try and slowly work my way back up with jog/walking.