Why can I only tolerate whole milk?

I've been drinking about 1.5 liters of whole milk a day for a few months, and I've gained quite a lot of weight, mostly in the belly. I also struggle to get enough protein in my diet because it's hard to drink any more whole milk than 1.5 litres a day, and milk is one of the only protein sources I can tolerate. Every time I try a low-fat milk, even if I just take a few sips, I'll get bloating, gut pain, and diarrhea. I've tried many different types, ultra-pastuerised, non-homogenised, etc., although I can tolerate any type of whole milk. I've even tried eating some fat from butter or coconut oil alongside it, but I always get the same reaction. I've tried antibiotics a few times too, but that didn't help. Why would I not be able to tolerate low-fat milk?

Andman

have you tried mixing both? for example 500ml whole + 500ml skim

otherwise id just stick with whole milk and reduce the calories from your other meals accordingly

rei

Because reduced fat milk i unhealthy. Every single study comparing whole milk to skim has found clearly measurable issues with skim milk.

Skim milk in itself is not bad if you get the necessary good fats and vitamins elsewhere. But if you follow a shitty diet and then add skim milk, it is not good. Adding whole milk introduces MANY beneficial things universally lacking in a standard american diet/vegetarian diet etc.

Carbs should always be consumed with a small to moderate amount of fat. Sugars with small, and starches with moderate.

MidBicep

I've been drinking about 1.5 liters of whole milk a day for a few months, and I've gained quite a lot of weight, mostly in the belly. I also struggle to get enough protein in my diet because it's hard to drink any more whole milk than 1.5 litres a day, and milk is one of the only protein sources I can tolerate. Every time I try a low-fat milk, even if I just take a few sips, I'll get bloating, gut pain, and diarrhea. I've tried many different types, ultra-pastuerised, non-homogenised, etc., although I can tolerate any type of whole milk. I've even tried eating some fat from butter or coconut oil alongside it, but I always get the same reaction. I've tried antibiotics a few times too, but that didn't help. Why would I not be able to tolerate low-fat milk?
It just might be a matter of calories. It doesn't matter for me what I eat if I go under 3200~ calories, my body will bloat up and make me suffer. So make 100% sure you are not under eating if your body is trying to heal and can't handle running on lower calories.
Other possible reasons could be the amount of fat soluble vitamins but I don't there's a big enough difference to make a change.
Lastly in regards to the digestible proteins I think there are far more easily digestible ones out there and I certainly believe that you should be getting a variety of them. For example I eat 2 eggs, 50g of beef liver, 100g of lean ground beef, I get a bit from the oranges and lastly 1kg from Greek yogurt (which despite its lactose content is far more easily digestible than milk even for lactose intolerant people) to get around 100-120g. Don't get stuck on just eating one food, your body can and will tolerate other good sources as well, especially in the right proportion.

Razvan

Because it's more pure.
Low fat milk is much more contaminated. I combine them both but my country has high quality low fat milks.
In my country there isn't fortification to low fat or skim milk.

Dr. B

the fat has fat soluble vitamins and anti bacterial properties according to peat.
but the reason you have the issue tolerating low fat milk is probably because if youre in the US, low fat milk isnt simply scooping fat off whole milk. it has added vitamins A and D which have toxic emulsifiers and preservatives.
whats your overall diet and fat intake? if you are doing a half gallon milk a day thats already 64g fat so youd need to cut out other fat sources or minimize