Why Aren't You Telling Us What Works Over The Long Run

Simba1992

So many of us get excited about a supplement or nutritional tweak, talk about it, and then the initial flush of enthusiasm wanes. We discover downsides.

Or maybe the supplement or tweak makes things worse over time.

Or maybe it's really because something ELSE we were doing at the same time was responsible for the good result.

I've read SO SO SO many accounts of "this is wonderful" and then nothing...

...I've written some of these myself.

So I am asking you, what tweak over the long run has worked for you that you are positive about?

I would say over a year of use would probably help the most.

So far, the only thing I can be positive about 100% over the long run is red light.

Good post! I always miss these promised followups on supplement experimenting. There is a lot of commotion in the beginning then nothing, not even if you try asking....:confused

bawild

#1 - Eliminating sleep breathing problems (mouth breathing, stuffy nose, upper airway resistance and apneas).
#2 - Getting tan this summer & enjoying the outdoors with friends and family.

Good post! I always miss these promised followups on supplement experimenting. There is a lot of commotion in the beginning then nothing, not even if you try asking....:confused

That's usually the case, isn't it? It's even for the better that way. Let's say it works, what now? Now you're a slave to some pill you have to take for the rest of your life. Especially when you're young. And it never feels the same as being healthy anyway. Every supplement I've tried was a poor band-aid at most, and the moment you stopped taking it you were back to square one. Waste of time at best, dangerous at worst. Never felt like I was permanently moving in a positive direction no matter what I took. Various 'life-style' hacks made more of a difference here than anything I took by mouth or put on my skin. For big changes, you usually have to do big things. Unfortunately sometimes they are very far from obvious. Supplements are just appealing to that 'quick-fix silver bullet' mentality, but in practice, it happens 1 out of a 100 times.

If I had saved every cent I spent on random supplements in the last 5 years I could've gone for a really nice vacation in some tropical paradise. That would've probably done far more for my health than all those pills combined ever did.

Lee Simeon

Gelatin and maybe Oxidal have worked very well for me during a significant period of time.

Simba1992

That's usually the case, isn't it? It's even for the better that way. Let's say it works, what now? Now you're a slave to some pill you have to take for the rest of your life. Especially when you're young. And it never feels the same as being healthy anyway. Every supplement I've tried was a poor band-aid at most, and the moment you stopped taking it you were back to square one. Waste of time at best, dangerous at worst. Never felt like I was permanently moving in a positive direction no matter what I took. Various 'life-style' hacks made more of a difference here than anything I took by mouth or put on my skin. For big changes, you usually have to do big things. Unfortunately sometimes they are very far from obvious. Supplements are just appealing to that 'quick-fix silver bullet' mentality, but in practice, it happens 1 out of a 100 times.

If I had saved every cent I spent on random supplements in the last 5 years I could've gone for a really nice vacation in some tropical paradise. That would've probably done far more for my health than all those pills combined ever did.

Sounds a bit pessimistic. You could ofcourse see it that way. Then again if you have a health problem that actually could be reversed by a nontoxic supplement or two, I would definitely choose eating the supplements all my life!

Peata

The supplements that increase glycogen stores, such as Famotidine (Pepcid), Taurine, and Biotin. I've tried them all, and they all seem to help. (Currently weaning off Pepcid and back on Biotin) that has helped my energy, my ability to go out during the day and not suffer blood sugar symptoms if I can't get food right away, and same for sleeping all night - prevented me from waking in the night feeling like I'm going to die if I don't eat. This has kept me more stable and I can eat less food and eat a little less often. The effects at night have stayed for the most part even when not taking them.

Aspirin for its pain-killing abilities, menstrual helper (with cramps and thins out flow), seems to stop UTIs for me, prevents sunburn, and more.

Pansterone was a lifesaver for helping me have energy at the end of a long work day and not get swollen, stiff, and sore after work and into next day.

Cyproheptadine has helped me out a lot of times, I just can't stay on the high dose I need for best mood relief (because of weight gain at higher doses).

Dramamine/Benadryl for gastritis symptoms, dizziness, and more, though thankfully this problem rarely comes on now.

Niacinamide helped a pain/popping issue in my wrist after high doses. I've been taking a break from the niacinamide and pain hasn't come back so far. I plan to use a lower dose niacinamide for pretty much daily use .

A.R

#1 - Eliminating sleep breathing problems (mouth breathing, stuffy nose, upper airway resistance and apneas).
#2 - Getting tan this summer & enjoying the outdoors with friends and family.
What supplements helped you with #1

Jem Oz

Gelatin (genuine amazement at impact on my skin. I'm confident it was the gelatin because it was the only thing I changed at that time).

Broken man

Good books ( books which will show you that life isnt so hard even you think that it is, that its all about balance, everything has pros and cons even good health, I can be with my idol even he is few hundreds kilometres far away)
Good relationships ( I am talking alot with 1 old man, he is very smart and experienced and I have few friends with which I can talk almost about sh*t, I can put my trust in them and they are honest)
Good food ( with " good food" I mean food what will warm you and increase your dopamine levels when you eat it)
Cascara sagrada ( when good food isnt warming you)
Cyproheptadine ( when cascara didnt help)
Taurine( mag.retention, electrolytes balance, hormones, great well being)
B- vitamins ( giving me energy so I can spent more time with my girl and friends and have some money)
Coffee is food :D

Jennifer

The things that have worked over the long run for me are a fruitarian diet, music and practicing letting go – letting go of...

– the need to be healed
– my sick person identity
– overcomplicating health
– the constant search for answers outside myself
– my perfectionistic mentality
– shame and fear
– self-imposed responsibilities
– my Doormatitis (chronic case of people pleasing)
– the lie that I'm disposable or only lovable if others love me
– one sided/unhealthy relationships
– what I thought I was supposed to want
– who I thought I was supposed to be
– the high wire act

Peatful

The things that have worked over the long run for me are a fruitarian diet, music and practicing letting go – letting go of...

– the need to be healed
– my sick person identity
– overcomplicating health
– the constant search for answers outside myself
– my perfectionistic mentality
– shame and fear
– self-imposed responsibilities
– my Doormatitis (chronic case of people pleasing)
– the lie that I'm disposable or only lovable if others love me
– one sided/unhealthy relationships
– what I thought I was supposed to want
– who I thought I was supposed to be
– the high wire act
I appreciate this.

bawild

What supplements helped you with #1
Supplemented to get D level to 55, added a B50 and Mg. I occasionally take K2, A, E. Needed CPAP for about 9 months to get sleep structure back to normal. I tape my mouth at night, don't eat past 7 and use nasal saline and antihistamines as needed. Once restorative sleep structure returned, all fatigue, mood, migraine and anxiety issues cleared up.

raypeatclips

Supplemented to get D level to 55, added a B50 and Mg. I occasionally take K2, A, E. Needed CPAP for about 9 months to get sleep structure back to normal. I tape my mouth at night, don't eat past 7 and use nasal saline and antihistamines as needed. Once restorative sleep structure returned, all fatigue, mood, migraine and anxiety issues cleared up.

What dose D did you use, oral or topically?

InChristAlone

This is a great thread!!

I still see good effects from niacinamide, but it isn't enough to cure me. Nor is cyproheptadine but this past week proved I still need it, slowly all my annoying symptoms came back after being off. Ascorbic acid has helped with energy still a yr later.

Sunlight is crucial for me, and I get significantly improved health in the summer when I can be out in the sun for hrs.

As far as anxiety... The only thing that gets me ok with it is somatic experiencing, and the three principles. When I am thankful for what I have I am rewarded with better moods. Accepting that I won't feel amazing at all times has been paramount. There will be ups and downs. And life will throw us curve balls but just knowing we are okay no matter what is comforting.

HDD

Whatever gets my metabolism/temperature up. Since my diet and daily life are always changing, achieving this comes from various things. Eating enough of the right foods, thyroid, aspirin, oxidal, sunshine, ADEK, b's, unisom/Benadryl/Cyproheptadine, some exercise, lapodin, progesterone, pregnenolone all have contributed to better health. I don't consistently dose anything except the sleep aids but I know if I work at it, I can achieve the "sweet spot". When I start feeling cold or down, I start paying attention to my diet and supplement whatever I feel is missing.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Light light light. Sunlight as much as possible and then supplemented red light.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals