Why Aren't Other Glandular Supplements Recommended Besides Thyroid, Like: Liver, Brain, Pancreas?

Maverick

I understand that thyroid issues are a big problem these days, but wouldn't other glandular supplements help to keep metabolism high?

tara

These are foods. If you have a good butcher, try her/him.
Liver is regularly recommended here.
I've eaten sheep brains, but they are less popular.
I think sweetbreads can be either pancreas or thymus, but I haven't worked out how to tell the difference.

BigChad

These are foods. If you have a good butcher, try her/him.
Liver is regularly recommended here.
I've eaten sheep brains, but they are less popular.
I think sweetbreads can be either pancreas or thymus, but I haven't worked out how to tell the difference.

what about ancestral supplements organ supplements?

Kingpinguin

what about ancestral supplements organ supplements?

Dont think you can compare eating brains, kidneys, hearts and livers with poping 6 pills containing a few grams of dried powdered stuff. The fresh real thing has so many more nutrients, fatty acids and proteins than any supplement could likely give anything close. If you watched Danny Roddy he talks about it how you cant replace the real deal with supplemental form. Only thyroid can give you something since your actually after the thyroid hormones. Nutrient wise I would assume real thyroid would be better.

gaze

because the nutrients found in other organs are easily found in other foods. eating thyroid is the only way to get thyroid, and eating liver is the most efficient way to get vitamin A. Other organs really only provide nutrients that can be found in eggs, seafood, beef, etc.

BigChad

because the nutrients found in other organs are easily found in other foods. eating thyroid is the only way to get thyroid, and eating liver is the most efficient way to get vitamin A. Other organs really only provide nutrients that can be found in eggs, seafood, beef, etc.

Oh i see so out of all the organs the thyroid is the only one that has something unique (hormone) you can't simply get from a vitamin supplement?
what about the unique "living collagen" and beef tallow, bone marrow supplements etc

tara

what about the unique "living collagen" and beef tallow, bone marrow supplements etc
These are foods too.
If you want beef tallow, eat beef with fat. If you want the marrow, scoop it out of the bones. If you want collagen, get collagenous joints and make soup.

BigChad

These are foods too.
If you want beef tallow, eat beef with fat. If you want the marrow, scoop it out of the bones. If you want collagen, get collagenous joints and make soup.

But if you only want grass fed organic new zealand organs and only want to consume 1oz of each part per week?

BigChad

These are foods too.

But if you only want grass fed organic new zealand organs and only want to consume 1oz of each part per week?

abruzzi

Dont think you can compare eating brains, kidneys, hearts and livers with poping 6 pills containing a few grams of dried powdered stuff. The fresh real thing has so many more nutrients, fatty acids and proteins than any supplement could likely give anything close. If you watched Danny Roddy he talks about it how you cant replace the real deal with supplemental form. Only thyroid can give you something since your actually after the thyroid hormones. Nutrient wise I would assume real thyroid would be better.

I was just looking at the Ancestral Line and tyign to decide it it's worth it. I'm looking at the "Living" Collegen and wonderign if the price is worth it or woudl I basically be gettign the same thing from Great Lakes.

I'm extremely confused regarding IGF-1/ Apparently, too much can promote cancer, but I do I know what is too much. Their living collagen is claimed to eb "teaming with growth factors"

I'm a terrible cook. So, although the supplements might now be ideal they are easy and convenient.

Does anyone use the Ancestral products? If so, which are good?

I did start exercising again after a 10 year layoff (currently 55 years old) to try to get my blood pressure down, so I'm also interested in building muscle again. I know Ray peat seems to discourage exercise.

I'm so friggin confused. This website is way over my head:geek:

Waynish

I tried the top pancreas, brain, kidney, and thymus supplements... They're incredibly weak in comparison to the methods for actually targeting those areas!

Kingpinguin

I was just looking at the Ancestral Line and tyign to decide it it's worth it. I'm looking at the "Living" Collegen and wonderign if the price is worth it or woudl I basically be gettign the same thing from Great Lakes.

I'm extremely confused regarding IGF-1/ Apparently, too much can promote cancer, but I do I know what is too much. Their living collagen is claimed to eb "teaming with growth factors"

I'm a terrible cook. So, although the supplements might now be ideal they are easy and convenient.

Does anyone use the Ancestral products? If so, which are good?

I did start exercising again after a 10 year layoff (currently 55 years old) to try to get my blood pressure down, so I'm also interested in building muscle again. I know Ray peat seems to discourage exercise.

Try too avoid supplements as much as possible. Eat good amount of protein and carbohydrates. And do some exercise no need to go hard on the exercise. Just enough that you can tell its getting you into better shape. Thats the key. Doing enough to increase your physical appearance but not so hard that you feel its really hard or exhausting. Collagen is good stuff to eat. Good source of proteins. Now a days you can also but unflavoured meat protein which basically tends to be collagen since thats the cheapest source of protein from animals. Usually meat protein is cheaper than collagen. Collagen is touted to be something exclusive while meat protein is for body builders but its basically the same stuff so you might look into an unflavoured meat protein supplement

tara

I know Ray peat seems to discourage exercise.
I don't think he discourages some exercise, just excessive exercise. He's talked about the value of maintaining some muscle mass.
This website reflects a lot of different interpretations and opinions - if you were expecting consistency, it could be quite confusing. :)
If you want Ray Peat's views straight, you can read and listen to his articles and interviews:
Ray Peat Resources & Quotes | Ray Peat Forum

Maverick

I tried the top pancreas, brain, kidney, and thymus supplements... They're incredibly weak in comparison to the methods for actually targeting those areas!
What methods were more effective for you?

BingDing

It's because every cell has to make it's own energy and thyroid is the main regulator of oxidative respiration. Getting micro-nutrients is important but decidedly secondary.

You can find hundreds of reaction diagrams with an enzyme and a B vitamin cofactor. I don't think the reaction cares where the B vitamin came from. If it's there the enzyme works and if it's not the enzyme doesn't work.