Why Are PUFA's Delicious?

kirby

thebigpeatowski said:
I gained about 25 pounds when I started Peat eating. I have not eaten ANY PUFA at all in nearly six months, but prior to that I lived on nuts and nut butters, fatty fish and fish oil supplements as well as TONS of flax seed oil in my smoothies and next to ZERO carbohydrate.

I had a horrific time with processing all forms of sugar when I first started. It is so much better now, fruit, milk and sugar no longer make me sleepy and brain dead and I have lost 8 of those 25 pounds.

To the average person watching me, not knowing my context or situation, it would appear that all this OJ, milk and fruit made me fat...but the REAL reason why I gained weight is what I did to myself beforehand. Very hard to convince people of that tho....

Indeed is this more or less an impossible task. People always believe they know their bodies and how they work best even if it means believing in some stupid diet-fad like Vegan, Low-Carb or Raw Food. First when they experience the damage you can do yourself first-hand will they ever change opinion (as I did). There might be some more open-minded people out there though, but I haven't met them. People tend to believe what the authorities tell them to; the schools, doctors, "experts", scientists (often poor studies out of context, built on faulty conclusions, blown out of proportion by the medias), medias etc. Since I'm not a medical doctor or whatever people tend not to listen to my opinions on nutrition and health, despite the extensive research I have done and my first-hand experiences. I do understand it though, with the amount of conflicting information out there regarding nutrition and health I didn't know what to believe either when I first started out

From the article: “These animals eat seeds, ‘good’ fats, unsaturated vegetable fats and they also do a good job of producing omega-3 and omega-6 fats, which have beneficial effects on cardiovascular systems.”

Yep, that was me... I pretty much slept all winter. "Good fats"....pffft.

You are probably a lot younger than me....and male, good thing you found the truth early on, it took me a long time to figure it out.

I am fairly new to Peat...are you new here? If so, welcome!!! :cool:

kirby

Thank you! I am male 29 years old, in 2010 I started messing with diets to improve my health and many many mistakes (and worsening my health horribly in the process) I think I'm finally starting to understand something about health and nutrition. Josh Rubin and Ray Peat were a big part in this. I got into Peat via Josh Rubin I think it was early last year. This is the first time I'm posting on this forum though, since it took me some time to figure some stuff out from personal experience, research and observation.

I forgot to mention the article makes the wrong conclusions about the "heart-healthy" PUFAs, but this is to be expected from all mainstream outlets, as well as most alternative health sources. What they fail to recognize is that these fats have a metabolic role to play in HIBERNATING animals wanting to drastically lower their metabolism, build fat reserves and survive the winter, but NOT for modern western-world humans living in heated homes with year-around food supply (all provided by our beloved fossil fuels)

There are so many young males on this forum, you're in good company and I'm glad you joined.

Sounds like you have been at this for a year or so? Any conclusions or obvious benefits that you have noticed?

J

j.

thebigpeatowski said:
There are so many young males on this forum, you're in good company and I'm glad you joined.

Thankfully there are enough nice women also who say welcome to the forum and such stuff...

Apparently there are younger males and older females (sorry ladies), and few older males and younger females? narouz is an old male, but we all know he is like a boy in many ways.

j. said:
... narouz is an old male, but we all know he is like a boy in many ways.

LOL...well, when you get to be old like us ya start doing EVERYTHING possible to age regress!!! You youngins are fortunate ;)

kirby

thebigpeatowski said:

Sounds like you have been at this for a year or so? Any conclusions or obvious benefits that you have noticed?

I have learnt so much it's hard to sum it all up. One main thing is that I believe strongly that all macronutrients are essential. No diet will ever work that excludes macronutrients or keep them at a minimum. And that the strenght of your metabolism is extremely important for good health and keeping your body working properly, especially when you are in poor health. Good fats (omega3/6 kept low), quality protein (mainly from meat), sugar, starch and plenty of water, all in the adequate amounts, are all necessary for health. Your digestion and metabolism is like a fire that needs to keep burning as long as you're alive. For these reasons veganism, raw-food, low-carb, low fat and fasting (like the new fad 5:2 diet), among other fads, are all detrimental to your health.

Also really try to listen to your body and the feedback that it gives you. So much about regaining health once you lost it (I have fought severe adrenal fatigue, insomnia and intestinal issues) is about proper nutrition and a stress-free natural living environment. And that if you listen blindly and take the advice of authorities and self proclaimed "experts" in our society concerning your health and lifestyle you can get into some serious trouble. People try to make a buck, get-by and thrive in this world, sometimes it will be at your expensive as you end up "barking up the wrong tree" as I have many times. Anyway, I will stop rambling now lol

Kirby's paper shows no evidence for omega-3 being hibernation inducing. Well they only ever work with ratios anyway.

pboy

trying to eat laboratory PUFA free diet = stressful and probably imbalanced
purposely eating PUFA food (nuts, soy, fish, supplement, seeds) = harmful to gut, blood, liver, mood, and more
eating healthy food that happens to have a little PUFA = best results

whether PUFA are necessary or not? they might be, probably are...but does this requirement warrant purposely eating foods imbalanced on the PUFA end? No

pboy said:
trying to eat laboratory PUFA free diet = stressful and probably imbalanced
purposely eating PUFA food (nuts, soy, fish, supplement, seeds) = harmful to gut, blood, liver, mood, and more
eating healthy food that happens to have a little PUFA = best results

whether PUFA are necessary or not? they might be, probably are...but does this requirement warrant purposely eating foods imbalanced on the PUFA end? No

Agreed on all points except the first one: "trying to eat laboratory PUFA free diet = stressful and probably imbalanced" I am not sure how avoiding laboratory PUFA equals stress or imbalance... :?:

kirby

Might be referring to that ignorant scientists could easily compare a pufa diet to a fat free diet, which would be equally damaging. I think they often times don't pay attention to those things in research

tara

Asimov said:
key said:
Asimov said:
expensive saturated fats.

i think coconut oil is just as cheap
Not where I shop. You can probably buy 3 gallons of corn oil for the same price as about 12oz of coconut oil.

But I agree with J. Occasional nut consumption should be about the least of your worldly concerns. While pecans contain a lot of PUFA, they also have a lot of MUFA and some SFA. When taken in totality of your overall diet, a handful of pecans once a month is going to amount to a negligible amount of PUFA.

Ditto, the cheapest RBD coconut oil I can find here costs 8 x as much as canola or soys or generic 'vegetable' oil and about 2x as much as butter. I have the luxury of being able to afford butter and cocnut oil. Many don't.

tara

kirby said:
Yep I think since practically nobody today actually lives in cold environments without central heating (except maybe eskimos and some other small groups)

'I wish!' (says practically nobody, with cold feet in thick woolley ugg boots and a returning migraine wondering whether she can be bothered bringing in firewood and lighting the fire, or putting feet in a bucket of hot water, or just going to bed).

Maybe not amongst the people you know, but heating costs are a health issue for many people.
Many people, including in first world countries, die every year from hypothermia because they can't afford to keep their houses warm. Many children suffer from childhood illnesses that would be mitigated by warm housing.
I have a good woodburner - I'm considered lucky. It's still cold getting up in the mornings in winter. I've had ice on the inside of my kitchen and bedroom windows, and learned by experience that my hands don't work as well in 3 deg C as in 8 deg.

But I don't think this is a good reason for eating more than a little PUFA - on the contrary, avoiding it should help keep the metabolism up to deal better with the cold.

pboy

there was a point in time where I was living in an apt during the winter without a heater...I didn't have a space heater either and no fireplace. It opened up my eyes in a huge way...especially because I was first beginning experimenting with food at that point. After a couple winters like that, I realized that heat is more important than food, and extreme cold weather...I don't know how anyone survives now or in the past multiple winters without the modern things we have...like electric stoves, heaters, microwaves, refrigeration, and more. Perhaps im not as strong physically as the ancestors...animals don't seem to be hugely bothered either despite being naked and living on cold vegetation. But yea, I can definitely see how and would even say that cold weather is extremely dangerous if unprepared and is probably worse than going without food for a while or very little food. Eating a lot of calories can up the metabolic heat a little, but it doesn't really compare to the effect of a large blanket or heater

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My current work space is not climate controlled and I suppose that would be fine if I were still into paleo since it is quite similar to a cold dark cave! :lol: I found it challenging through the winter to know if my feet were appropriately cold or not. One physician I work with was looking for me and couldn't believe that was really my office! She is from a third world country an couldn't get over the working conditions here in America. I think I might order heated socks. People often take a heated environment for granted unit they have to spend substantial amounts of time in the cold.

OP
N

narouz

It's been a long time since I started this thread. :eek:

It was meant to have a comic tinge,
but there is, I think, a serious (what to call it?) metaphysical question too.

Many are eager to leap to the general view
that the healthiest diet (in our view, a Peat diet)
will also be the most delicious diet.

Another way of saying the same thing is
we can rely upon our instincts to guide us to a healthy diet.
(Some add the wrinkle that this natural instinct needs re-education,
but is still operative.)

After over 2 years on a pretty strict Peat diet
my view is that life and diet are more complicated and fraught than that.
A steaming pepperoni and ham pizza laden with gluten, phosphate, and PUFA
still tempts.
Oysters battered in wheat and fried in peanut oil still beckon.
Sizzling bacon requires will power to pass up.
Etc, etc, etc, etc....

This is just my experience.
But it is echoed in just about everyone I'm around:
few wish they could live a life of eating only milk and cheese and oranges etc.

Many, perhaps most, of us are attracted to this forum
because we have health issues.
And because of that, we have moved past fussing or complaining
about the sensual aspect of eating:
we prioritize health above that.
Still, in my view, that needs to be admitted.

Just updating. :P

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was just thinking today that I crave nothing. Eating is just what I have to do to live. It's such a change from the younger me. I'm really not sure if it is good or bad. The most delicious food I've had lately is fruit and vegetable broth. :shock: I'm really fine with that though. I think that this happened when I stopped eating gluten so I don't attribute it to a Peatish style of eating at all. Gluten made everything yummy but then it made me sick. :( I'm just happy to be well.

pboy

that's where im at too blossom, which is actually awesome. It took years to get to this point...ive narrowed it down to the bare minimum with a few rotating options that are easy to obtain and fast to consume...it actually makes organizing the whole day easier, and easier to know what to expect. Obviously I don't want anything that tastes bad, but whether or not its good is sort of irrelevant, just pleasant. I pretty much don't want to feel what I ate or notice it as close to possible, except for more motivation to act and a better mood...once I managed to find that out, taste seems to not really matter, unless its not good...then I don't eat. I basically try to sense bitter sour acrid burnt or oxidized notes in a food, or even excessively sweet, and if there are any of those tastes its probably not optimal unless maybe a small amount at most. It makes me wonder how I even survived when I used to make grain meals with all kinds of spices and vinegar and roasted spices and spicy tastes onions garlic chillies and all that. I have this theory that when what we do is just so bad or dumb theres a cutoff point where one individual thing cant exceed a certain point of bad response...the universe just sighs and lets it go

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It is quite freeing. I wonder if part of it is having a good nutritional status for the first time so our bodies aren't ravenous fore MORE food (nutrients). Another possibility is by not consuming so many packaged/processed foods we avoid the hyperpaletable qualities that prompt additional cravings. It could be a bit of both? I have better things to think about than food all day anyway.

Back
Top Bottom