Why are over 35 million people in the US "food insecure"?

Perry Staltic

Food insecure doesn't mean being hungry or going without food. If someone here eats 3500 cal per day, only eating lobster and prime rib, they would be food insecure if they felt like they didn't have enough money to keep eating like that. That's how dumb and meaningless the definition is.

gaze

Food insecure doesn't mean being hungry or going without food. If someone here eats 3500 cal per day, only eating lobster and prime rib, they would be food insecure if they felt like they didn't have enough money to keep eating like that. That's how dumb and meaningless the definition is.
i'm not advocating for more government intervention necessarily, but in my opinion if someone believes they can't afford the food they need, regardless of what it is, that's a valid food insecurity. for example if i couldn't get acces to milk, fruits, and steaks because of money but i could afford oatmeal and pasta and conventional chicken, i would consider myself food insecure. i think everyone should be able to have access to good quality food. how that's done, I have no clue