Why are haiduts supplements being advertised on every page?

chris

I've bought supplements from haidut before and never had any problems "finding" them. Why does every page of this forum now have a large coloured banner advertising his supplements?

My question is to Charlie, why have you turned this place into an advertisement rather than a place of discussion, what was wrong with having threads dedicated to each of the supplements?

jaguar43

I wouldn't have found it with the link at the top of the page. And i don't think it counts as advertising.

Amazoniac

I think it's just a reciprocation: haidut is one of the most active members here, contributing a lot; so Charlie might be just supporting his supplements, which happen to be aligned with Ray Peat's perspectives.
Not a problem at all..

Sorry if your question was meant to be directed only to him, but if it was the case I guess you'd have used the PMs.

OP
chris

chris

Amazoniac said:
Sorry if your question was meant to be directed only to him, but if it was the case I guess you'd have used the PMs.

I wanted an open question to start discussion on it.

My other question would be why now? Peat has advocated the use of many supplements and specific brands which haven't appeared at the top. I feel the advertisement, although the products seem very useful and high quality, is a very anti-Peat action.

Amazoniac

The problem is that the forum doesn't have a dedicated section for this stuff. So it's easy to get lost between other threads.
I also think that it's to kick start it, so people know about it and after time it won't need any extra effort to divulgate..

A

Anonymous

Why the hell not? Is it really that bothersome to you?

Stop whining. If you don't like it, leave. You won't be missed.

For all the valuable contributions Haidut makes, he deserves all the advertising he wants. Buying his products is my way of saying thank you to him because I am so grateful that he is part of this community.

OP
chris

chris

There are many active and useful members which receive no monetary gain from the forum.

OP
chris

chris

Amazoniac said:
The problem is that the forum doesn't have a dedicated section for this stuff. So it's easy to get lost between other threads.

His supplement threads are stickied at the top of the supplement section, which would be the first thing anybody wanting to learn more about supplements would see and also doesn't get lost in the mass of threads. Do you think that's not enough?

narouz

chris said:
Amazoniac said:

His supplement threads are stickied at the top of the supplement section, which would be the first thing anybody wanting to learn more about supplements would see and also doesn't get lost in the mass of threads. Do you think that's not enough?

chris-
I am a big fan of haidut.
I've even said we should create a Peat Hall of Fame
just so he can go in there,
with Mittir.

It's a nettlesome area
but I do sympathize with your point of view.

In my opinion
the forum does need to strike a balance about this.
Personally, I would create something like
Haidut's Corner
or somesuch.
Arrayed with some qualifications, etc.

The anti-mercenary impulses from Peat are strong.
Not absolute, but strong.
I personally would love to support haidut while at the same time containing advertising.

OP
chris

chris

narouz - haidut is the best poster on this forum and many of my posts are asking him questions. I have said in the past the studies he posts are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum and I have purchased more than one of his products.

Don't confuse that my issues are with haidut. My issue is that the forum is being used as a means of advertising.

I have seen many posts on Peat oriented forums laughing at Paleo websites which have big advertisements for supplements. How is this forum now different to those?

narouz

chris said:
narouz - haidut is the best poster on this forum and many of my posts are asking him questions. I have said in the past the studies he posts are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum and I have purchased more than one of his products.

Don't confuse that my issues are with haidut. My issue is that the forum is being used as a means of advertising.

I have seen many posts on Peat oriented forums laughing at Paleo websites which have big advertisements for supplements. How is this forum now different to those?

Yeah.
And there's that. :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Amazoniac has pretty much covered it.

If you don't want to see the announcement at the top of the page simply "X" it out, you will never have to see it again. ;) When haidut announces a new product I plan on pinning it in the supplement section for a while.

haidut has earned every bit of this. A fellow Peatster, starting out his own company trying to give us the best available supplements on the market to the people in Peatland who choose to supplement. An upstanding member of the community who has selflessly contributed many hours trying to help others. Making supplements available to us that many already rave about, helping their mothers, fathers, and other family members to feel better. And now I can help him and give in return.... you betcha I will do all I can to get his company recognized.

I was trying to help someone who has been helping so many others. Apologies if you were rubbed the wrong way. :hattip

messtafarian

Thing is, I would not have known these formulations existed if it were not for this forum. I've been happy to pay for them since otherwise as far as I know these preparations are not available anywhere else, from anyone else.

I think the ad is a public service. I also found out where to get Thyroid medication from this forum through a message from the actual supplier; and I've also just ordered something else from a place I found out about -- on this forum.

We have more of a problem actually sourcing this stuff than getting bombarded by sales messages about appropriate formulations. If you want to get annoyed at someone re health product sales pandering, just visit the Bulletproof Coffee guy's website ONCE and you will never ever be without a popup sales message from him everywhere you go, ever again.

A

Anonymous

chris said:

Do you have a specific problem with one of the supplements? Do you feel they are detrimental to health in anyway?

A couple years back there was a practitioner from a company called Ark of Wellness who used the forum as a way to push her own products and sell her services which were based off the work of Ray Peat. She didn't contribute much and people saw through her intentions. She quickly received backlash from the community and is no longer a participant around here.

Haidut, on the other hand, is an unconditional giver. He addresses some of the highly controversial topics on the forum and clarifies a lot of Ray's work for us who aren't quite as adept at connecting the dots. He does not expect anyone to buy his products and does very little to promote them. His products align with the principles and philosophy of Ray's work.

Haidut is doing everyone a favor here. He has created products that many members have expressed an interest in. He even took a poll and asked everyone if they would be interested in purchasing the products!

He also has said he barely makes a profit off his supplements. Whether he does or does not, shouldn't matter anyways. He is a respected member and he greatly improves the status of the forum.

This is not a place of advertisement Chris. Any old member doesn't get this privilege. Haidut has earned this privilege.

A

Anonymous

Charlie said:
Amazoniac has pretty much covered it.

If you don't want to see the announcement at the top of the page simply "X" it out, you will never have to see it again. ;) When haidut announces a new product I plan on pinning it in the supplement section for a while.

haidut has earned every bit of this. A fellow Peatster, starting out his own company trying to give us the best available supplements on the market to the people in Peatland who choose to supplement. An upstanding member of the community who has selflessly contributed many hours trying to help others. Making supplements available to us that many already rave about, helping their mothers, fathers, and other family members to feel better. And now I can help him and give in return.... you betcha I will do all I can to get his company recognized.

I was trying to help someone who has been helping so many others. Apologies if you were rubbed the wrong way. :hattip

+1 x1000000000000000

Waremu

Quite honestly, with the contributions people like Haidut have made to this forum, I think he deserves to have a link pinned to his supplements. But that said, I really don't see a simply pinned announcement being a big deal.

andrewdcjr

Agreed^^ love the supplements as well as the info provided by Haidut. I see it more as a thank you then an advertisement.

Hopefully it's not too much visibility :tinfoilhat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals