Why all the good online communities have degenerated into filth

you

All the good users got jobs.

Good communities means good users. As internet got flooded with normal idiots through the 2000s, the good users had two options: Suffer the eternal september or move on with your life. Every public community on the internet today is vulnerable to normalfag lynch mobs. These mobs will rise up against you if you are in any way politically incorrect (it's become impossible to avoid in any serious discussion these days. questioning the status quo with politically incorrect speech on most online communities will get you threats, banned, ostracization, etc) with only the slightest agitation, but they will also rise up if you are mean to low quality users (they'll complain about elitism, bullying, offensive language, meanness, people will try to troll you because they think you're a pretentious ****** etc).

So basically, if any joe shmoe on the internet can access your community, it will quickly turn to ***t. See almost all image boards and forums with public registration. The more popular the forum, the worse this will get, since at some point the owners start caring about the income stream more than the pride they take in their community, and then they act with this mentality of trying to attract as many users as possible for the banner clicks/views, which means cater to the lowest common denominator (and **** over anyone who isn't welcoming the lowest common denominator because they're concerned about board quality). The critical mass is different for everyone. Some sell out at the 10 users mark, some hold out for ages. Some admins have been remarkably commendable, but almost all fall in time to the same "let's be more newbie friendly" trap as others (either that or the sites die).

If registration is not as easy as creating a free account, it still won't make a difference if the barrier is trivial. See for example Something Awful ($10 fee for account) and demonoid (private tracker which occasionally opened registration and never banned anyone). Both started okay but quickly turned to ***t in the same way that free forums do. The reason is that from the economics stand point, it really doesn't make a huge difference that you need to pay $10 or track down a demonoid invite first. Millions of people are still able to do it, and the same race to the bottom happens as soon as the dollar sign lights up in the admin's head.

If registration is actually difficult, but not very exclusive, the decline will be slow (and your individual users better be ******* quality contributors because there's not gonna be many of them one way or another) but still happens. See what.cd and similar private trackers that take themselves seriously (by enforcing rules, severely limiting invites, requiring a test). Even if you have 100 users on a tracker like what.cd, who's to say one of those doesn't turn out to be ****** and sell an invite to some richfag who doesn't give a **** and start spreading it further to his other friends? Who's to say someone doesn't go full SJW and "break the news" in a Vice interview, leading to normalfags flooding in by the millions?

These days, an internet community needs to be locked down really tight to avoid being ****88 with by the mainstream. The community must all know each other on some personal level (maybe not real identity but personality etc) and have some mutual assurance of integrity so that nobody betrays the community to outsiders. This is still possible online, but very difficult. So difficult, that at this point meatspace communities are just easier.

So all the competent, intelligent people have used their intelligence and talents to place themselves in a cushy career, where they interact with many others like themselves. They form informal, IRL communities with such people, communities that you cannot join online. Some people failed, either out of autism or sheer bad luck - you can sometimes find them in weird online communities in the corners of the internet: Tragic cases where the person clearly belongs somewhere better, but for whatever reason ended up there instead.

I believe soon this forum will succumb too, we'll see how long we can hold before eventually degrading into a shithole.

ravster02

You could argue it's already reached that point.

There's some absolute dross posted on here.

A lot of people complain that the RP diet hasn't worked for them but when asked questions like "what's your temp/pulse? what are your thyroid/liver results?" they play dumb and act as if they never knew they had to test for such things.

I think these people are more interested in hanging around an online forum and posting all day than actually taking proactive steps to get better.

BobbyDukes

OP, the Ray Peat forum isn't X-Factor. People who join the forum are, for the most part, interested in improving their health. I'm afraid that Joe Public really doesn't give two ***** about health, in the way that you or I do. To them, food is just food. Oh, I better go buy a cheeseburger, because I'm hungry. They don't think about X, Y or Z.. Like we do. People who join this community are usually, genuinely here because they feel that this approach could help them. Even in the health world which, in comparison to the worlds population, isn't even a tiny spec of sand on a beach, views the Ray Peat community as 'freakish' and 'crazy'. What makes you think it's suddenly going to go mainstream? You're gonna be waiting a long time buddy.

Oh, and Ravstar, somebody has obviously upset you. Either that, or you're an unlikeable plank who enjoys spitting poison out at everyone. Why would people 'hang around' a forum for no reason at all? We're all here for the same reasons. Just because people don't do it the way it should be done (in your eyes), doesn't mean you should become a douche about it.

OP
Y

you

BobbyDukes said:
OP, the Ray Peat forum isn't X-Factor. People who join the forum are, for the most part, interested in improving their health. I'm afraid that Joe Public really doesn't give two f***s about health, in the way that you or I do. To them, food is just food. Oh, I better go buy a cheeseburger, because I'm hungry. They don't think about X, Y or Z.. Like we do. People who join this community are usually, genuinely here because they feel that this approach could help them. Even in the health world which, in comparison to the worlds population, isn't even a tiny spec of sand on a beach, views the Ray Peat community as 'freakish' and 'crazy'. What makes you think it's suddenly going to go mainstream? You're gonna be waiting a long time buddy.

Oh, and Ravstar, somebody has obviously upset you. Either that, or you're an unlikeable plank who enjoys spitting poison out at everyone. Why would people 'hang around' a forum for no reason at all? We're all here for the same reasons. Just because people don't do it the way it should be done (in your eyes), doesn't mean you should become a douche about it.

Social networks brought all the normies to the internet who never gave a **** about using it before. Normies are always in the majority and so they took over and now they make the rules.

Check out the Google trends for Ray Peat, https://www.google.com.au/trends/explor ... cmpt=q&tz=

It's happening, we're at peak Peat.

You mean people feel a physical need for forums? I come here to settle health matters. I come to a torrent site when I need something. No need for Mensa style closed door circlejerks.

answersfound

yea dood i competely undertand wut u sayin. two many idots!!!

pboy

because...most communities in the world are filth? so why would online be different? im not being pessimistic, just a neutral observation. Its still beneficial, cause people online feel more comfortable exposing the ***t they're really full of, whereas in life they hide behind a mask and fake pretensive smile and automated lines. Its easier to address problems and know the play ing field when people are open and say anything, which is why online is good...tho still a lot of people online STILL hide behind some mask and try to protect an ego and don't say how they really feel...but at least its a step closer. If you really want health advice and information, just look at raw data, do your own experimentation and trust your instincts and higher thoughts and heart compass. No one else is going to be able to do that for you...and the few people that have figured it out, aren't likely online. This is why I don't post anymore, its a waste of time and I realize people have to go on their own journey to really know the details and ins and outs from all angles. If you give them a perfect plan, they'll still deviate and make a bunch of mistakes, until they realize it was actually a good plan. That's how things in life are, you have to feel the pain and pleasure yourself, and do the better thing for yourself, or you'll never do it. No o ne is going to just do something for someone else, same principle as kids growing up and not doing what mainstream or their parents tells them, then via their own journey, their own experiences of fun and good and not fun and not good, end up turning them into who they are...its never anyone elses stuff. And if they are one of those people that is literally just living by what others told them...its is a constant tension, bitterness, and can turn into hostility inside...tho they probably hide it. Everyone wants to carve and figure out for themselves, and be free, and do what they do by their own hand, for themselves

narouz

pboy said:
because...most communities in the world are filth? so why would online be different? im not being pessimistic, just a neutral observation. Its still beneficial, cause people online feel more comfortable exposing the s*** they're really full of, whereas in life they hide behind a mask and fake pretensive smile and automated lines

pboy!
Good to hear from ya!
Please quash the rumors that you've been busy heading up a K-Pop band. :D

Strongbad

Don't be elitist. That's what 1% and government are ;) always avoiding real-talk discussion while supporting censorship to silent dissents.

That's like saying only the select few can enjoy the benefits of full health, while the rest of the world don't deserve to be healthy, should eat crap and be ridden-sick. 1% against 99% mentality.

I think it's nice to have an open discussion about any issue. It brings the problems forward and steps closer to improvement. Racism, war on drugs, police brutality, corruption you name it.

Tom

A site like this can still be very valuable in offering discussions about treatments for various conditions, Ray Peats ideas, published research etc. I would have wished more discussions on all the issues mentioned in the "politics and science" radio shows with John Berkhausen, such as problems with corruption in science, big pharma etc. But as for the experiences reported here (before and after following some of the principles or some advice), I think they should be taken with a pinch of salt. With over 2000 registered users, and the level of dishonesty in todays world, it would be foolish to think that all of those would tell the truth. It would just take a few rotten apples.