Why All Of The Sudden I Can't Digest Milk Lactose?

paka

I drank milk before, stopped, started again after finding this guy and I cannot get past 2 cups at once without stomach grumbling.

I can easily digest lactose free milk so I know it's the lactose in the 0-1% milks - I've already tried all the brands I can find like he suggests, definitely a lactose problem.

How do I get my lactose digestion ability back?

milk_lover

Who is this guy? Ray Peat? I think with better thyroid function, and stomach conditioning to milk, you can start to tolerate milk better.

OP
paka

paka

So all that needs to be done is introduce milk gradually? I've been doing this for weeks, maybe months. I am stuck at 2-2.5 cups of fat free milk, then I get embarassing stomach problems.

Elephanto

The enzyme doesn't work under 37.5 or something (I think Such Saturation mentioned it on this forum) which mean all hypothyroid people will have problem digesting lactose. I suggest you try drinking some hot water before, take a hot shower or drink your milk hot to see if it makes a difference.

OP
paka

paka

Yeah it was, I didn't know liquids were harder to digest at cold temperatures.

Yeah it was, I didn't know liquids were harder to digest at cold temperatures.

Was it or wasn't it :ss sometimes it's also more difficult to digest starch and milk together (especially if it's fat milk).

milk_lover

Have you tried full-fat milk? Some people tolerate it better and it tastes very good. Maybe the fat helps digest lactose better.

I ran a raw milk Co-op for many years. People would come to me with digestive issues, and I would suggest raw milk, and most of them could tolerate the raw milk versus the pasteurized much better. One little boy had lots of gas with pasteurized milk, and absolutely no problem with the raw milk

lvysaur

sometimes it's also more difficult to digest starch and milk together (especially if it's fat milk).

Whenever I eat store-bought cookies with milk, my lactose digestion seems to go down a little (though not enough to actually be problematic). I'm not sure if it's the starch or gluten.

I ran a raw milk Co-op for many years. People would come to me with digestive issues, and I would suggest raw milk, and most of them could tolerate the raw milk versus the pasteurized much better. One little boy had lots of gas with pasteurized milk, and absolutely no problem with the raw milk

It's a fact that pasteurization changes milk protein structure, in undesirable ways. Wouldn't be surprised if something changed with lactose as well.

Some people equate pasteurization with cooking, but cooking is a much more gradual process. The shock from pasteurization (other than batch pasteurization, which is akin to cooking) could make proteins behave differently than gradual heating. I think the homogenization process is probably even worse than simple pasteurization, due to the necessarily high pressure involved.

It's also been proven that pasteurized milk leads to undesirable development in infant rats and cows, when substituted for breast milk.

Raw milk is a problem only because of bad farming practices, and the inherent fallibility of the supply chain.

Last edited:

chrismeyers

I do best on heavily pasteurized milk. Pasteurized just means boiling the milk. And in my culture milk was always boiled anyway before consumption so I dont buy into this pasteurization boogyman. Infact I think Ultra pasteurized lactose free milk (I buy Organic Valley) works so well for me because its boiled and enzymed.

Ray Peat said:
Those aren't problems with parmesan. Pasteurization is where most of the oxidation is likely, not the skimming.

[ moderator edit: email address removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Peaterpeater

From my experience, I was able to digest milk fine but then I had a stressful event that caused my prolactin/estrogen to skyrocket and suddenly I couldn't digest milk anymore because it gave me the runs every time. I found that after my hormones were back in normal range, my ability to drink milk increased again. I think that the high estrogen increased my hypothyroid issues causing the milk digesting enzymes in my body (lactase) to be destroyed but then began to replenish once my hormones came back to normal. This is my theory of what happened to me based on information I've learned from Ray Peat and this forum. I hope this might help you. Some children are unable to tolerate dairy but later seem to "grow" out of it if they keep introducing it in small increments at a time.