Who's To Blame For Summertime Fruits Never Rippening But Meally?

DMF

It happens to everyone - those peaches or nectarines that were hard (and maybe cold) in the store sit on your kitchen counter for a few days before become soft and juicey, become soft - and meally- YUK!
I suspect those overseeing the transport - storage/shipping, know beforehand what will ripen and what will go bad. If fruit goes back into cold storage after room temperature during transport to save space, it will go bad.

It happens to everyone - those peaches or nectarines that were hard (and maybe cold) in the store sit on your kitchen counter for a few days before become soft and juicey, become soft - and meally- YUK!
I suspect those overseeing the transport - storage/shipping, know beforehand what will ripen and what will go bad. If fruit goes back into cold storage after room temperature during transport to save space, it will go bad.
I have been doing a lot of reading on fruit lately, and the chemicals that are used. The mealy ones are from chemicals. I had two baskets of blueberries this week delivered, one is organic and the other not. Both baskets looked beautiful and both baskets the berries were firm and just picked, but the non-organic berries were much bigger. I was expecting the bigger ones to be bursting with juice and flavor, but they were mealy and tasteless, while the smaller organic ones were juicy and sweet. I have read that pears are picked and put in cold storage sometimes for up to a year before they are sent to market! That one was a shocker! So the answer to your question who is to blame? People trying to make money, and are willing to risk quality and peoples health to get it.

I did. I had it delivered from FarmFreshToYou
My girlfriend bought strawberries from our town's farmers market and washed the berries, and used a test trip in the rinse water, to see if they had any pesticides left on them, and she said it was EXTREMELY high. She said she rinsed them over and over several more times and the test strip still were so high that she just threw them all out. Some pesticides stay on the outside of the fruit where you can sometime time wash it off or peel it off, but some pesticides permeate the entire fruit. A few years back non-organic strawberries that were tested had up to 50 different pesticides on just one strawberry. Apparently they have genetically altered strawberries to get their pesticides down to 20 on a single piece of fruit now. Doesn't that make us feel much better now? ?

Attachments

• 20210606_171524.jpg
    20210606_171524.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 6

I did. I had it delivered from FarmFreshToYou

Lots of farms do a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program that's like what that business does -- deliver a box weekly, biweekly, etc instead of meeting them at the market. (Just saying for people who haven't heard of that.)

Lots of farms do a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program that's like what that business does -- deliver a box weekly, biweekly, etc instead of meeting them at the market. (Just saying for people who haven't heard of that.)
Yes, but even mine CSA box carries grocery store produce and non-organic things too. I specified my produce box to ONLY come from one specific farm which is picked when in season and ripe. Boy what's difference from the grocery store produce where their organics have, most of the time, been sitting there for weeks waiting to get sold. Knowing what I know now, if I didn't my produce freshly picked then I would just buy frozen.

Last edited:

Yes, but even mine CSA box carries grocery store produce and non-organic things too. I specified my produce box to ONLY come from one specific farm which is picked when in season and ripe. Boy what's difference from the grocery store produce where their organics have, most of the time, been sitting there for weeks waiting to get sold. Knowing what I know now, if I didn't my produce freshly picked then I would just buy frozen.

You get a CSA box from a farm that buys produce at the grocery store and puts it in their CSA box? Or you mean the online FarmFreshToYou business has that as an option? I've only ever heard of CSA boxes being produce grown on the farm that you have the CSA arrangement with.

You get a CSA box from a farm that buys produce at the grocery store and puts it in their CSA box? Or you mean the online FarmFreshToYou business has that as an option? I've only ever heard of CSA boxes being produce grown on the farm that you have the CSA arrangement with.
The I get my box from gives you choices. You can sign up for only their farm "Traditional" box or let them build a box with their seasonal produce as well as some other nearby farm's produce. They also have regular organics and non organics like you would see in the store like boxes lettuce, bananas and such, that you can add in yourself. The only reason I ended up with those non-organic blueberries is because i added them and they must have ran out and got a replacement from a nearby non-organic farm, as it had no label. I just tossed them and got my money back.

Back
Top Bottom