Who's Right On Waking And Daytime Temps - Dr. Peat Or Broda Barnes?

After hearing a lot of interviews from Dr. Peat, reading his newsletter and reading Broda Barnes' books...

Dr. Peat has said that if you fix your thyroid with supplemental T4/T3 or NDT, you can fix everything and maybe in 6 months not need thyroid anymore.

But where they diverge the most: Barnes emphasizes waking temps of 97.8 to 98 or so. Peat says if your temps are cold upon waking, and you go up 1/2 degree by 11AM, and end up normal 98.6 in the day, then at sundown it can fall and you can be normal and fine even if you sleep "cold".

What do you think, who is right?

lampofred

Going up half a degree means waking temps should be around 98.1 right? Isn't that pretty similar to what Barnes was saying?

cyclops

No, if I'm understanding hamster correctly, he's saying that Peat said it doesn't matter what temp you wake up with as long as you go up half a degree by 11am and end up at 98.6 at some point.

So hypothetically, if you woke up at 96, and then by 11am you were 96.6, and then at 5pm you were 98.6 you would have satisfied the peat parameters for the day. So without stating at least some minimal "good" temperature for waking up, I think this leads too much leeway. (Also what if you wake up at 10:45am are you still supposed to rise half a degree by 11am? - what if you sleep till noon? I haven't heard Peat say this, but if he did, it just seems like it is not precise enough for at least a couple reasons)

One thing I notice though is that my wake up temps are highly influenced by the time I wake up, and I dont think this is talked about much, but I think its normal for humans to be colder very early in the morning. For instance, some mornings I have to be up at 4am and my temps are much lower then when I wake up at 7am, and I've been guessing that is normal. If I can really sleep in late then my wake up temps are even higher.

I think when monitoring "wake up temps" it is important to wake up at the same time every day or one should expect them to be all over the place. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this though.

Last edited:

Beastmode

Waking up below 97.7 for me feels totally different. I go with what Peat has suggested to me and it was waking up in the high 97's is fine and to make sure body temp moves up to the 98.6 range by noon. I'm shooting for that 98 wake up measurement as I think it'll only reflect a more restful night of sleep.

@cyclops I think you're right about doing it at the same time consistently as my measurements can definitely change depending on the wake up time.

Didn't Peat mention in a recent interview that he believes everyone basically needs thyroid long term, especially if you're 40 and older?

Be cool if there was an interview series where he can really dig into some of these distinctions who've been following his work for a while so it's not the same (ray) "Have you had your thyroid checked?" (caller) "What's that?" jk :)