Whole blood minerals

Belsazar

Hello,

I would need help with interpretation of whole blood minerals.

Calcium from whole blood mineral shows a low value 49 mg/l (range 49.9-59.5). How reliable is that calcium parameter?

Another value that bothers me is a elevated Manganese (also from whole blood). Since my liver has some troubles and it is secreted via bile, I suspect it comes from that issue. But how dangerous is that? Any input appreciated. Some say (https://www.inflammatio.de/fileadmin/user_upload/inflammatio/OF-Vorträge/2017/2017_01_11_Mangan.pdf) coffee and tea are a high source of manganese and that high levels are neurotoxic, so I am a bit worried.

Perry Staltic

Manganese was 18 µg/l (range 5.0-11.1)

I'm reading normal range going as high as 16.5 mcg/l, so if 18 is elevated it doesn't seem by much. Maybe cut down on Mn rich foods a bit. Usually the people who can get in trouble with Mn are people like welders, potters (Mn glazes) and Mn mine workers who breathe in Mn rich fumes/dust constantly.

OP
B

Belsazar

I'm reading normal range going as high as 16.5 mcg/l, so if 18 is elevated it doesn't seem by much. Maybe cut down on Mn rich foods a bit. Usually the people who can get in trouble with Mn are people like welders, potters (Mn glazes) and Mn mine workers who breathe in Mn rich fumes/dust constantly.

Thanks, thats good to hear. But the lab stated they changed the method and therefore changed the reference range. Due to work I also came in contact with Mn a few months ago, thats why I got worried. But I am not constantly exposed. I will definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

Perry Staltic

Thanks, thats good to hear. But the lab stated they changed the method and therefore changed the reference range. Due to work I also came in contact with Mn a few months ago, thats why I got worried. But I am not constantly exposed. I will definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

Curious, what kind of contact?

Perry Staltic

You may have gotten dosed with some, but doesn't look like much. Have never done so for Mn, but took chelation pills for mercury once, so if it really concerns you maybe you could look into that possibility for Mn.

redsun

Hello,

I would need help with interpretation of whole blood minerals.

Calcium from whole blood mineral shows a low value 49 mg/l (range 49.9-59.5). How reliable is that calcium parameter?

Another value that bothers me is a elevated Manganese (also from whole blood). Since my liver has some troubles and it is secreted via bile, I suspect it comes from that issue. But how dangerous is that? Any input appreciated. Some say (https://www.inflammatio.de/fileadmin/user_upload/inflammatio/OF-Vorträge/2017/2017_01_11_Mangan.pdf) coffee and tea are a high source of manganese and that high levels are neurotoxic, so I am a bit worried.

Manganese toxicity can cause high prolactin, which is due to antagonizing iron too much (since iron is the metal necessary for dopamine). And high prolactin is bad for hormones and health as a whole. If you got exposed in a lab that could be why. Also if you are already iron deficient, you will absorb more manganese from your food. You may need iron thats why manganese is out of range and/or because you were exposed to too much manganese.

OP
B

Belsazar

Manganese toxicity can cause high prolactin, which is due to antagonizing iron too much (since iron is the metal necessary for dopamine). And high prolactin is bad for hormones and health as a whole. If you got exposed in a lab that could be why. Also if you are already iron deficient, you will absorb more manganese from your food. You may need iron thats why manganese is out of range and/or because you were exposed to too much manganese.

Well, I just weighed some in, so I actually doubt i have inhaled much if any at all. I might cut back on oats and tea ...
Prolactin is not elevated, iron & ferritin are also in range.

It seems in liver disease, manganese excretion is impaired and i was diagnosed with a fatty liver (no clue why, but probably Vitamin A related) recently ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals