Whoa, This Orange Juice Is All Acid, This Other One Isn't!

I normally am fortunate enough to fresh squeeze orange juice from ripe oranges I can see, at Whole Foods.

When I add baking soda to that orange juice I don't get much response.

But I am somewhere else and have to settle for "fresh squeezed pasteurized" and it tastes not nearly as good, and when I add baking soda, it foams up BIGTIME.

I don't have a pH meter, but this stuff is SO acidic. And I think it's the problem many people have with OJ and don't realize that they are drinking something that is VERY acidic.

And all this citric acid probably isn't that great either.

I drank mine for the potassium and naringenin etc., but I'm realizing that most people who drink OJ may be drinking "bad" OJ...

Wagner83

Ray mentioned that in most commercial orange juice they use harmful enzymes to dissolve all fibers (so they get rid of it), you can see that as even if kept in a vertical position the juice will be uniformly orange. An other thing Ray has mentioned is that while we may ingest something with a rather low ph, the residue or what actually happens once digested can have opposite results, mainly because of minerals like potassium, calcium , magnesium etc.. Not sure how that would apply to the orange juice you tried, but freshly pressed juice beats all the others in every possible way , no doubt about it.
I wonder if what you reported would affect how the plastic leaches into the juice .

Syncopated

I normally am fortunate enough to fresh squeeze orange juice from ripe oranges I can see, at Whole Foods.

When I add baking soda to that orange juice I don't get much response.

But I am somewhere else and have to settle for "fresh squeezed pasteurized" and it tastes not nearly as good, and when I add baking soda, it foams up BIGTIME.

I don't have a pH meter, but this stuff is SO acidic. And I think it's the problem many people have with OJ and don't realize that they are drinking something that is VERY acidic.

And all this citric acid probably isn't that great either.

I drank mine for the potassium and naringenin etc., but I'm realizing that most people who drink OJ may be drinking "bad" OJ...

Yup, agree. I drink pasteurized apple juice from fresh apples that isn't from concentrate. Costs about $1.00 a quart and is smooth and tasty.

Fresh pasteurized OJ that isn't from concentrate is way too acidic to the throat and stomach. I take a magnesium supplement so the OJ really isn't needed IMO.

If I was rich, fresh raw organic juiced oranges!

Ever try adding some whole milk to the acidic OJ?

nikolabeacon

This and all QUESTIONS and problems related to fruit/juice consumption comes from bad quality and unripeness. I know that Ray wouldnt recommend to buy orange juice. He dont trust It anymore. And hE was very specific When hE talked about it..."When i can find good ooranges " or something like that...finding ripe fruit is almost impossiblle......and most importantly You should really know the criteriait to know what ripe fruit really is.....I know for example people who are producing or very familiar with apples...But dont really know to choose the right one,or what are all characteristics of ripeness...even slight traces of toxins can over time inflame you in A great deal....this is why potatoes are much better for many people.

DaveFoster

It's probably better to skip orange juice than drink the lesser quality brands unless one has good digestion.

OP
ecstatichamster
I'm finding Tropicana not from concentrate grovestand brand very good. Not bad at all.

InChristAlone

I stopped OJ feel much better without, doing well on frozen concentrate grape juice. But I only drink about 12 oz a day.

sprinter

i been drinking Whole Foods 365 brand pasteurized orange juice for a couple years now. Probably average about a gallon to a gallon and a half a day. I never had a problem with this and I can't imagine life without it. Im happy I don't have any problems with it. Now milk on the other hand...

SQu

I normally am fortunate enough to fresh squeeze orange juice from ripe oranges
I juice my own in season for about 7 months of the year and then I don't bother with orange juice at all till next season, because ripe in season oranges have no acidity that I can tell and even very good quality bottled (100% orange juice not from concentrate, no additives) is acidic out of season. Also more expensive. It's so entirely different that you can't even compare the two. In summer i have other juices and fruit. If I couldn't get ripe oranges I'd try another type of juice eg apple.

shepherdgirl

I try to avoid the "not from concentrate" juice or canned juice because it is supposedly higher in methanol than the frozen concentrate. Fresh juice is the best though.

whodathunkit

@docall18, thanks for that link! :thumbsup: I drink the Whole Foods 365 so that's good to know.

Whole Foods comes in a carton not plastic bottle so BPA and light degradation not such a concern.

Edited to add: I just realized that is @Dan Wich 's site! Thank you, Dan! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals