Who Here Feels In Great Health At The Moment?

DaveFoster

For example, there was a pizza party today at work, which I veritably fled from - stuff like that there. I have no idea how other people are doing it? (I think it would be cool if there was a thread about the social alienation faced by Peat eaters and the ongoing daily minutiae, etc.)
Just eat the toppings. Sometimes you need to dance. "I'm gluten-intolerant." "I don't eat sweets." "I'm a vegetarian."

Sure beats the, "I only eat coconut oil and drink orange juice because I want to live to 140."

Blood pressure is still way up at 180/115, although 3 months ago it was at 220/140.
o_O

Have you ever asked your doctor about clonidine? I know your BP is related to kidney issues.

"The effects of clonidine on renal hemodynamics and renal function make it a particularly useful antihypertensive agent. During treatment of hypertensive patients with clonidine, renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate are well maintained, and renin secretion is reduced. Early in therapy, a slight tendency to retain salt and water may be seen as blood pressure is lowered. This effect on salt and water excretion is usually transient and may be avoided if a diuretic is used concomitantly. No deterioration of renal function was noted in patients with primary hypertension who were treated with clonidine for periods from 6 months to at least 5 years. The drug is effective in patients with renal hypertension with or without renal failure and well tolerated. Clonidine is also effective in hypertensive patients undergoing chronic hemodialysis, but doses may have to be reduced because the drug is excreted chiefly by the kidney."

Reference: Clonidine and the kidney. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

yerrag

Demanding perfection is not health, and subsisting only on 'perfect' food, while immediately feeling damaged by eating 'bad' food is the hallmark of a weak and sick organism. You need to get to the point where you realize that eating a single 'bad' meal is not going to kill you, and that an occasion like that holds very little sway over your general health. One meal doesn't make one sick or healthy, the tens of thousands throughout the years do. If you're normally at good terms with the people at work and enjoy their company, leaving a social event due to there being pizza is dumb (and if you don't like your co-workers, that's fine, but consider changing your workplace). As someone above said, you're hurting yourself more by becoming so adamant about not eating a single 'un-Peat' meal and socially isolating yourself, than the food itself will ever damage you.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward." -A very appropriate Rocky quote.

How will you know when you are healthy? Your resilience will improve. And your ability to handle stress of all kinds, and to recover from it, quickly, will also greatly improve. The healthier I become the more foods I can eat without feeling worse, and the more I can handle in general. If you really feel bad about eating something like that, just have some Vitamin E around, and take it afterwards, which will help prevent whatever deleterious effects the PUFA in the food would have. But in general, it's important to offset this need to eat 'perfect' with leading a relaxed life. Stressing about stress is also a stress ;)

Good advice.

I was out with a few friends and we decided to go to a really good burger place. The burger joint, called 8 Cuts, had a gimmicky menu. It was more gimmicky when the burger would be priced according to where the meat came from, hence the name 8 Cuts. I would pick the cheapest cut, as that had the most fat. I guess I wasn't the only one to catch on to that, as when I went back there after a long while, they had changed the menu. Instead of having 8 cuts to choose from, you only have two choices as far as the meat goes. One was the House Blend. The other was the Grass Fed. Curious, I had to ask the waiter which had more fat, and sure enough it had to be the House Blend. Why would I want to eat Grass Fed if it's purposely lacking in fat? On my recommendation, we all ate the House Blend and really enjoyed our burgers.

This is what I do when I go out. I would eat the tastiest, and health is not an important consideration. But I can afford to do that because my lifestyle revolves around healthy food, which by the way isn't lacking in taste when you consider I'm not staying away from salt and sugar. Or coffee. Or the internal organs. Such as liver, kidney, stomach, which conventional doctors would say is to be avoided because it is "high" in uric acid. I do avoid wheat, and I love bread. So when I get the chance to eat out, which isn't a daily thing, I want to enjoy the things I can't eat. Greasy food such as the "garbage plate" that I used to get at a diner in Rochester, New York. With friends, it's to max out the enjoyment. Can't let food get in the way. And in an urban setting, food is the only thing everyone can enjoy together.

Broken man

I am feeling much better than ever or maybe like when I was 8 years old. Yes I remember it. I started with "peating" 1 year ago. I want to say that from the start, it was horrible. Why? Because like Peat said its all about working with myself. My problem was that I never worked with myself so I did alot of stupid things like I drank alot of milk even I was feeling bad after it. I can say for sure that most of my success comes from last 2-3 months. I would call myself regular member doing the "peat diet" to this time, I gained alot of weight, energy levels wasnt so big even eating tons of sugar, I was eating starches and just talking about my health problems. 3 months ago, I was going to do job that was hard for me but I wanted to do it, my brain was so slow, I hadnt much sleep, I was feeling very bad but I wanted to do it so I just started experimenting like never before it was like high doses of everything and I am glad that I did it because I started to see changes by this time. Now, I am feeling good with alot of energy so I can be more alive when I am with my family, brothers or my girlfriend. I think that life is like big experiment and I am doing like it was. I am eating what I have taste for but its never like pufa chips or something like this I dont like these foods. I am taking only B-vitamins with fat solubles and some amino acids and I am happy. But like every coin has two sides, my family is looking on my like on something unnormal, I cant talk about my experiences because they are not like me and these conversations always end badly. I find that I dont understand some my old friends anymore so I have less friends but our relationships are better. I have fun again, enjoy music. Life is great.

Arnold Grape

While I would like my comments above to be viewed through a lens of hyperbole, I appreciate the advice. I'm actually surprised, however, that people here, who prescribe such rigorous advice, would be impervious to situations like I described. (They have to abound.) This is also where the trouble with interpreting Peat comes in. Here we have someone whose concept of health exists within a tableau, and it is described in perfect terms. (i.e. Do you think Peat ever eats in an Olive Garden restaurant?)

Staying on topic, I have not been at this as long as a lot of you and I have seen dramatic improvements in my own health. (Not perfect.) Encouraged by these things, I surge forward. My missteps might include drinking too much alcohol on occasion and not getting enough sleep.

yerrag

Have you ever asked your doctor about clonidine? I know your BP is related to kidney issues.

"The effects of clonidine on renal hemodynamics and renal function make it a particularly useful antihypertensive agent. During treatment of hypertensive patients with clonidine, renal blood flow and glomerular filtration rate are well maintained, and renin secretion is reduced. Early in therapy, a slight tendency to retain salt and water may be seen as blood pressure is lowered. This effect on salt and water excretion is usually transient and may be avoided if a diuretic is used concomitantly. No deterioration of renal function was noted in patients with primary hypertension who were treated with clonidine for periods from 6 months to at least 5 years. The drug is effective in patients with renal hypertension with or without renal failure and well tolerated. Clonidine is also effective in hypertensive patients undergoing chronic hemodialysis, but doses may have to be reduced because the drug is excreted chiefly by the kidney."

Reference: Clonidine and the kidney. - PubMed - NCBI

I must admit that I've never considered seeing a conventional doctor regarding my hypertension. I've been to a few naturopaths to no avail.

And I'm hesitant on drugs that would lower my blood pressure without addressing the underlying cause. The risk of having hypertension for an extended period is that it would eventually affect my kidneys. On the other hand, I have to weigh that against the risk of lowering blood pressure artificially (by that I mean without the body initiating it with its own physiological control mechanisms). The artificial method, to which conventional treatment ascribes to, fails to take into account the possibility that there are protective benefits to increasing blood pressure, as a maladaption, or an adaptation of the body to meet the stresses of an underlying pathological issue.

In my case, it is lead toxicity in my kidney, which produces oxidative stresses that needed to be addressed by uric acid, an antiozidant. The supply of uric acid would not be sufficient if my blood pressure were to be lowered, as the hypertensive condition is the result of constricted blood vessels induced to produce a state of hypoxia needed for uric acid to be produced.

It is possible that my hypertensive condition is saving me from further harm from lead toxicity. My approach would be to address the elimination of lead from my kidneys. On the short term, I would be adversely affected by the hypertensive condition. Possibly it affects my hair condition (becoming less full) and my libido, both of which are not necessary for survival. But I am shooting for the long term, as I resolve the issue of lead toxicity, which would eventually restore my normal blood pressure as well as my hair and libido.

The risk here is that if the hypertensive condition were left unresolved, it would possibly damage my kidneys.

It looks to me, from my initial hurried assessment, that Clonidine, much like other anti-hyperstensive drugs, would give me an immediate benefit of having lower blood pressure, but will cause me to lose the protection from oxidative stress. I may appear to be healthier on the surface, but worse off inside.

Dhair

Do any of you guys really care if you are judged for taking supplements or eating a certain way? Seriously?
Being in poor health has actually empowered me to NOT care what anyone thinks of me, because I cannot on any level handle the stress of having to deal with self-consciousness. Also, the people around me are almost interchangeable because they could not comprehend my health status or self-care regimen even if I took an hour to explain it to them. I simply can't afford to care. But maybe I am just not as functional as some others, and as such I have more pressing issues to concern myself with, such as maintaining my own sanity at this point...

kreeese

I feel very good except its Fuckinnnnnnnn Freezing in nyc this year we havent had a winter like this in over 20 years....but thriving on Rays diet!!
Chris Rocco

LUH 3417

Demanding perfection is not health, and subsisting only on 'perfect' food, while immediately feeling damaged by eating 'bad' food is the hallmark of a weak and sick organism. You need to get to the point where you realize that eating a single 'bad' meal is not going to kill you, and that an occasion like that holds very little sway over your general health. One meal doesn't make one sick or healthy, the tens of thousands throughout the years do. If you're normally at good terms with the people at work and enjoy their company, leaving a social event due to there being pizza is dumb (and if you don't like your co-workers, that's fine, but consider changing your workplace). As someone above said, you're hurting yourself more by becoming so adamant about not eating a single 'un-Peat' meal and socially isolating yourself, than the food itself will ever damage you.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward." -A very appropriate Rocky quote.

How will you know when you are healthy? Your resilience will improve. And your ability to handle stress of all kinds, and to recover from it, quickly, will also greatly improve. The healthier I become the more foods I can eat without feeling worse, and the more I can handle in general. If you really feel bad about eating something like that, just have some Vitamin E around, and take it afterwards, which will help prevent whatever deleterious effects the PUFA in the food would have. But in general, it's important to offset this need to eat 'perfect' with leading a relaxed life. Stressing about stress is also a stress ;)
Great post. Having a less than ideal meal while laughing and enjoying the company of others can be really wonderful, especially if you’re not thinking about the ideal meal.

Broken man

Do any of you guys really care if you are judged for taking supplements or eating a certain way? Seriously?
Being in poor health has actually empowered me to NOT care what anyone thinks of me, because I cannot on any level handle the stress of having to deal with self-consciousness. Also, the people around me are almost interchangeable because they could not comprehend my health status or self-care regimen even if I took an hour to explain it to them. I simply can't afford to care. But maybe I am just not as functional as some others, and as such I have more pressing issues to concern myself with, such as maintaining my own sanity at this point...
I think this is the same as alot of people are talking about how their lifes are bad but they are not searching for help. When I wanted help my brother, he just told me, give me that pill so I will feel better. They think we are weak so we are doing this.

achillea

"It doesn't matter how you die, what matters is how you live." To paraphrase a Ringo Starr quote

yerrag

I feel very good except its Fuckinnnnnnnn Freezing in nyc this year we havent had a winter like this in over 20 years....but thriving on Rays diet!!
Chris Rocco
When I went to college in Rochester, I would get sick with flue during the winter months. I'd be willing to bet that I can survive it there without a flu. Glad you're just complaining about the weather.

kreeese

When I went to college in Rochester, I would get sick with flue during the winter months. I'd be willing to bet that I can survive it there without a flu. Glad you're just complaining about the weather.
hahaa well Im losing so mucg fat on Rays diet...sweeping the nation!!! hahaaa so life is good because in the winter That is one tuff thing to do!!

InChristAlone

I am feeling pretty good. Way better than in the last 5 yrs. But most of all of that was because of stress. So it has taken me yrs to recover from it. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the good ol days, but then again I've learned a lot. I'm a changed person due to the hardships. I don't see myself as a victim of it and throw pity parties anymore. I did when in the throws before I realized all that it was teaching me. I still have days where it reminds me of what I went through, but it isn't paralyzing anymore, I don't feel the need to run away or drown it out my capacity to handle it has grown. We all have such intense survival energy and it can scare us, but to really heal we have to stop being scared of this energy. Let it come up, be dealt with and then it falls away and we rise up even stronger and more wise. I don't view health in terms of just nutrition anymore. We are so much more than what we eat.

Lecarpetron

Some good posts here. It wasn't until I saw this thread that I realized I'm doing much better these day, too. My main problem was insomnia, which shows up only occasionally now. Clear skin, decent digestion. I'm happy to be alive, and the only thing I take seriously (but not obsessively) is avoiding stress. Like most comments, I'd say spending time outdoors, attention to keeping warm, and lifestyle factors have helped more than any specific food. None of the positive changes happened for me overnight, they took time.

Amazoniac

I wish I was making that up - I am dating a girl who very discretely laid into me for purloining things from my "vitamin bag"- it's embarrassing. (She refers to it as 'the vitamin bag') I guess the secret is out, but I will have to get better at honing my skills. I also will not eat dinner out anywhere, so she's probably going to break up with me any moment now.
As a certified pick-up artist myself, she can be reflecting your attitude of not owning what you do. I'm not dismissing that she can be a negative company, but people sense how far they can go with other people; if she's disrespectful for your standards, she probably wouldn't be a part of your life anyway.

There are many storytellers that sound very interesting despite not saying anything meaningful. I'm mentioning this because it's more about attitude: people can be mirroring your discomfort. You can wear women clothes on the streets, yet if you do it with a cheerful posture, you'll only look funny.

It's by trying to avoid awkwardness that we become awkward. #louvre It's only when we lose the fear, that we can focus on more important things and as a consequence not look like a weirdo without effort. If you exaggerate, at some point you'll realize that nothing bad happens and it's not a good reason to worry. Next time, wrap the content in shinny cellophane paper, use a giant pipette and those conical flasks; perhaps wear your Uvex as well.

Lilac

I have been feeling good to very good lately--perhaps not to the level of great. This is an uptick from not feeling good, just mediocre, in the preceding year. The other day, I briskly walked to the supermarket, carried my groceries home, and felt invigorated. I did this with the energy and ease I felt in my 20, 30, and 40s.

The things that I changed were:

1. Started Dr. Ellie's oral system, which seemed to tamp down problems under the teeth and also fixed nocturnal mouth breathing. I recently dropped the fluoride Crest for Earth Paste.
2. 1 cascara capsule daily, plus avoiding problematic foods. Before, I has used cascara only as needed, because I was afraid of dependency and loss of effect. I went to a daily dose hoping for fat loss. No improvement on that point yet.
3. Daily stretching (do-it-myself yoga) and some strength moves (sit-ups, squats, push-ups). This has helped with reducing stiffness, ease getting out of bed, etc.
4. More milk, less cheese. Also whole oranges instead of orange juice sometimes.

cyclops

I look and feel great!

Here's a recent pic:

740.jpg

Last edited:

Wagner83

As a certified pick-up artist myself, she can be reflecting your attitude of not owning what you do. I'm not dismissing that she can be a negative company, but people sense how far they can go with other people;
Yes I agree with that, metabolism does seem to play a huge part though, the difference between having charisma, a smile on the face, great energy and being a paranoid / easily pissed fellow is striking in my case. Some people (those who have issues) can really dig you a grave when you have low energy, they don't say the same things. With good energy it's like everything works out. Teaching children can sometimes lead to similar issues. Some are nice and fun but feel the need to test how far they can go, being the good man I am I thought I would be anti-authority and wouldn't impose my adult views on children but it doesn't work that way in reality.

Last edited:

Brian fitusi

Just starting on a more Peat friendly diet about 2 weeks ago. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster so far, but starting to make some nice improvements. The biggest thing for me was quitting marijuana. I didn’t realize how much it was messing with my hormones until I quit. Had Some serious withdrawals; headaches, anxiety, and bad insomnia. I don’t think I would have quit if I didn’t start this work, and everyday feels like I’m getting better. I’m still not getting the desired sleep that I would like, but I’m fairly optimistic. I had some bloodwork done, and my vitamin d levels are pretty low, and prolactin high, so I’m working on that. I went to the beach with my wife, and daughter today, and it felt great. I feel pretty damn good right about now, and about get busy with some seafood; oysters, shrimp, and some socializing with friends. So, I would have to say that right now is spot on. Super grateful for this forum, my family, and Ray’s work!