White Warm LED Light Bulbs

J

j.

If somebody doesn't want to use incandescent bulbs in the house because they're too expensive, warm white LEDs seem to be a better option than CFL.

Warm White apparently has a better spectrum (i.e., more red and less blue) than regular white led.

Warm White Spectrum:
150cm%20LED%20Tube%20Warm%20white%2022W.JPG

White LED Spectrum:
lightsourcesfigure3.jpg

Another way of comparing bulbs is using their color temperature. The color temperature of a light source is computed based on the ratio of blue and red light it emits. The lower the number, the more red there is. Color temperature of different sources (some numbers according to amazon product specifications):

CFL Light Bulb: 6500
White LED: 6000
Sunlight: 5400-6000
Warm White LED: 3000
200-watt incandescent bulb: 2,980
100-watt incandescent bulb: 2,900
75-watt incandescent bulb: 2,820
60-watt incandescent bulb: 2,800
40-watt incandescent bulb: 2,650
Candle Flame: 1,200 to 1,500

More about color temperature.

OP
J

j.

If you dim incandescent lights you get lower color temperature.

sunluxled

LED's a better choice. It will get more and more popular

OP
J

j.

Too bad that LEDs, even warm white, have so little red. Otherwise, we could have a huge amount of intensity without heat, evading the factor that limits the red light intensity of incandescent lights.

sladerunner69

BUMP I have had this question as well.

There are some spectometry graphs indicating that LED lights have very few red wavelengths, and strong blue and greens. And nearly no infared. I guess we would be better off with halogens at any rate...

biggirlkisss

it varies on spec sheet and cri you want cri of 98 that is max i've seen riches in red and orange.
32710810_595470380812140_9131144627854770176_n.png

ddjd

ive been using 2100 kelvin LEDs from ikea, very orange colour, i doubt there's any blue...

x-ray peat

Too bad that LEDs, even warm white, have so little red. Otherwise, we could have a huge amount of intensity without heat, evading the factor that limits the red light intensity of incandescent lights.
yes plus they dont give off any near infrared which is the healing part of the spectrum.

x-ray peat

BUMP I have had this question as well.

There are some spectometry graphs indicating that LED lights have very few red wavelengths, and strong blue and greens. And nearly no infared. I guess we would be better off with halogens at any rate...
yes this pic says it all.
led-lighting-2.jpg

biggirlkisss

I don't agree with the assuimng all warm white leds have little red/orange. Look at spec sheet of the bulbs and cri to really know. That or buy a precise sceptoscope.

x-ray peat

I don't agree with the assuimng all warm white leds have little red/orange. Look at spec sheet of the bulbs and cri to really know. That or buy a precise sceptoscope.
what you posted isnt a spectrograph. Here is the spectrograph from that same manufacturer of CRI 98. You can see how the reds drop off and the infrared approaches zero. most of the healing spectrum is above 700nm

warm-white-high-cri.png

High CRI LED Lighting | Yuji LED

sladerunner69

what you posted isnt a spectrograph. Here is the spectrograph from that same manufacturer of CRI 98. You can see how the reds drop off and the infrared approaches zero. most of the healing spectrum is above 700nm

warm-white-high-cri.png

High CRI LED Lighting | Yuji LED

Most of the heeling spectrum is infared and near infared, you say? I think Ray has said that bright light from yellow to white to red is all beneficial.

Anyway my new concern with my infared lamps above my desk are how they are going to effect my eyes long term. It seems that my eyes are a bit sore, almost constantly. I also have some trouble focusing without slight pain/ minor irritation. I don't remember experiencing this before using lights (some years ago now) Perhaps I should have the lights stand back a bit farther, and not directly at my face?

x-ray peat

Most of the heeling spectrum is infared and near infared, you say? I think Ray has said that bright light from yellow to white to red is all beneficial.

Anyway my new concern with my infared lamps above my desk are how they are going to effect my eyes long term. It seems that my eyes are a bit sore, almost constantly. I also have some trouble focusing without slight pain/ minor irritation. I don't remember experiencing this before using lights (some years ago now) Perhaps I should have the lights stand back a bit farther, and not directly at my face?
Im sure all of the visible spectrum above yellow is healthy in one way or another but the main effect on mitochondrial cytochrome c-oxidase is in the red and near infrared. This is completely missing from all LEDs

I used to use a brooder light above my head until I also noticed a pain in my eyes too. I think its the far and mid infrared which causes protein denaturation in the eyes. Long term heat to the eyes is very damaging. I now just use a 100w incandescent with a shade and then use my red and infrared lights every once in a while.

biggirlkisss

I believe infared benefits are small in comprasion to near infared orange to deep red. The studies say infared is better are not looking at wattage being equal. Infared may go deeper but didnt have photons. ALso leds are going down in price 20 watt are half what they use too.

sladerunner69

Im sure all of the visible spectrum above yellow is healthy in one way or another but the main effect on mitochondrial cytochrome c-oxidase is in the red and near infrared. This is completely missing from all LEDs

I used to use a brooder light above my head until I also noticed a pain in my eyes too. I think its the far and mid infrared which causes protein denaturation in the eyes. Long term heat to the eyes is very damaging. I now just use a 100w incandescent with a shade and then use my red and infrared lights every once in a while.

Where did you learn that heat was damaging to the eyes? Or was that your own observation? And what do you mean by a shade with your 100w lamp?

biggirlkisss

@sladerunner69 a doctor told me careful with heat for my eyes if i use sunlight with many mirrors I didn't ask totually why. I will wear clear glasses to counter. Leds dont usually have infared if very little. My friend though say even a red if intense enough red led 3000 watt could burn you. I have a hard time believing that near infared not infared could burn you. That is in huge extremes though.