WHITE SUGAR VS WHITE RICE

andrei

Hi guys! I had a thought yesterday.

I am eating white sugar (around 100 grams) besides my milk, OJ, honey, and cod fish. I feel well with white sugar. It gives me better sleep. And very convenient. It has no fiber, so it does not irritate anything.

Before knowing Peat, I used to eat rice as a staple. And I was hesitant to try white sugar. But at the end of the day, they are both refined without nutrients. The difference is that sugar is a simple sugar, while rice is a starch. Since simple sugars are preferred, that could make it a good source of calories, given enough nutrients are taken.

Please tell me if I'm missing something.

DaveFoster

Your calorie needs increase with white sugar. You can go from 1000 starch calories to 2000 sugar calories pretty easily.

Pointless

White rice has a fair amount of nutrients including protein, and some minerals including a fair amount of manganese which is lacking in the Peat diet. Tyw has written about nutritional advantages of different varieties of rice if you want to dig up that post.

The two digest very differently and provide energy for different lengths. White rice does have small amounts of micronutrients but it's main purpose is calories. Glucose calories that is. That is the point. When you're hungry, you need energy to burn, and there is no better energy than carbohydrate. Humans are carbohydrate burning machines. Your brain needs a tremendous amount of glucose and that's exactly what starch provides. When you're hungry, a.k.a., you have low blood levels of glucose, low blood sugar, you need to eat glucose, sugar, to raise it back up. Protein and fat don't provide the same energy that carbohydrate does. Protein's main purpose is to rebuild tissue and enzymes, not to be burned for energy. Protein can be converted into glucose if needed, but that takes more energy to do and produces byproducts that may have negative effects. Fat is also not burned for energy in the same way carbohydrate is and fat may also produce byproducts that may have negative effects. Whether you choose white sugar or white rice, you still need a source of potassium because they both lack it.

OP
A

andrei

Thank you guys!

@DaveFoster Something I am observing. I am cutting weight now. And weirdly enough, instead of having to decrease calories, I feel my caloric needs are increasing. Typically, the smaller the bodyweight, the less calories required. But you are right about the metabolic change. Could it be that the metabolic change is making me require more calories in spite of lower body fat?

@Pointless I wouldn't count the protein in white rice. I feel that the quality of protein is a real thing. Nothing compares to milk protein in my experience. But I see what you say of manganese. Indeed white rice does seem to have something at least.

OP
A

andrei

@Westside PUFAs Thank you! I get potassium and nutrients via OJ. Although it's a store OJ. Fairly expensive, saying 80% orange juice. It tastes good. But I am skeptical still. I was eating oranges until recently. Around 12 per day.

I just want to replace with OJ for the experiment. And also for reducing fiber. I do not have gut irritation from fiber anyway, but I still want to try really low fiber. My carrot seems to give enough fiber to bulk 1-2 normal stools a day.

I would like to have extra milk (2 liters instead of 1). But it's too much lactose. I don't want to suffer the gas from extra milk. So I'll limit to 1 liter. I think it's fairly good anyway.

Jsaute21

General question regarding white sugar....does Peat or any of you have concerns with the bleaching process?

B

Braveheart

The two digest very differently and provide energy for different lengths. White rice does have small amounts of micronutrients but it's main purpose is calories. Glucose calories that is. That is the point. When you're hungry, you need energy to burn, and there is no better energy than carbohydrate. Humans are carbohydrate burning machines. Your brain needs a tremendous amount of glucose and that's exactly what starch provides. When you're hungry, a.k.a., you have low blood levels of glucose, low blood sugar, you need to eat glucose, sugar, to raise it back up. Protein and fat don't provide the same energy that carbohydrate does. Protein's main purpose is to rebuild tissue and enzymes, not to be burned for energy. Protein can be converted into glucose if needed, but that takes more energy to do and produces byproducts that may have negative effects. Fat is also not burned for energy in the same way carbohydrate is and fat may also produce byproducts that may have negative effects. Whether you choose white sugar or white rice, you still need a source of potassium because they both lack it.

I choose both now after sitting on the fence over this issue for a long time. The core of my diet these days is rice, sugar, cinnamon and raisins (

B

Braveheart

I choose both now after sitting on the fence over this issue for a long time. The core of my diet these days is rice, sugar, cinnamon and raisins (Mexican rice pudding) oj, fruit, coffee made w skim milk...as is the rice. A little shrimp, egg, etc. The rice really satiates me...tracking nutrition and calories...weight is dropping...take some supps. This feels really good...tons of energy and very low fat. .Kind of a Kempner/Peat style of eating.
Walter Kempner, MD – Founder of the Rice Diet | Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center

tara

General question regarding white sugar....does Peat or any of you have concerns with the bleaching process?
Is it bleached? I thought it was just refined?

Constatine

Is that all you are eating? You will probably run into nutritional deficiencies with that diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals