White Sugar For Calories

scarlettsmum

Please do @Fractality ! I love iced Thai tea and coffee and always wondered what was in it. Strangely enough we only came across it in the US. No one ever heard of it in Thai restaurants in Europe (at least not where I live) and not even in Thailand. Nevertheless it's so yummy!

DesertRat

What about getting calories from dried fruit? You can get a lot of calories via sugars in the large boxes they sell at Costco.

the insulin jump you get from white sugar is way more intense than from fruit sugar.. thats why ray recommends fruit.. white sugar is going to really make your blood sugar skyrocket.. i cant really see it being viable as a main source for that reason, plus it's just not really that great to have blood sugar so high

D

Derek

the insulin jump you get from white sugar is way more intense than from fruit sugar.. thats why ray recommends fruit.. white sugar is going to really make your blood sugar skyrocket.. i cant really see it being viable as a main source for that reason, plus it's just not really that great to have blood sugar so high

Ray has told me that at times he drinks up to 16-18 cokes a day. He also said he makes Jello with gelatin, lime juice and 2 cups of sugar.

Yeah and some rices have a more intense insulin jump than white sugar...

Ray has told me that at times he drinks up to 16-18 cokes a day. He also said he makes Jello with gelatin, lime juice and 2 cups of sugar.

what in the actual................................... wow. that is shocking. 16-18 cokes per day. how many calories is that even? jesus. i know he does 5k mg of calcium a day.. that would explain that high number. so he does that ON TOP of drinking a ton of orange juice? i don't know man, that doesn't sound right to me.

i mean.. yeah i guess you could handle all that insulin if you have enough minerals, but really, is it even necessary?

M

marikay

My understanding of Ray's advice on white sugar is that it won't increase insulin because the fructose in the white sugar keeps the insulin from spiking. (Sugar being 1/2 fructose and 1/2 glucose.) He has always encouraged me to eat more white sugar (not raw or brown) to keep blood sugar levels from dropping without raising insulin. OJ is great for other reasons as well the fructose, but even OJ has some glucose in it. It's the glucose only foods (nowadays called complex carbohydrates - a misnomer since these carbs have only glucose and are not complex) that cause insulin to spike.

On a personal note: Since massively increasing my white sugar intake, my fasting blood sugar is in the low normal range when it used to be in the high normal range. And every overweight person I have ever met restricts white sugar intake. And the thin persons I know who don't eat much sugar are really grumpy:)

My understanding of Ray's advice on white sugar is that it won't increase insulin because the fructose in the white sugar keeps the insulin from spiking. (Sugar being 1/2 fructose and 1/2 glucose.) He has always encouraged me to eat more white sugar (not raw or brown) to keep blood sugar levels from dropping without raising insulin. OJ is great for other reasons as well the fructose, but even OJ has some glucose in it. It's the glucose only foods (nowadays called complex carbohydrates - a misnomer since these carbs have only glucose and are not complex) that cause insulin to spike.

On a personal note: Since massively increasing my white sugar intake, my fasting blood sugar is in the low normal range when it used to be in the high normal range. And every overweight person I have ever met restricts white sugar intake. And the thin persons I know who don't eat much sugar are really grumpy:)

i don't know, i might be lacking minerals or something, but when i drink coke and eat beef together, my blood sugar will go very, very high after eating it. i'm talking like 250+ blood sugar levels. of course, it goes back down after 2 hours, and i know ray has said the number when you first eat doesn't matter, what really matters is AFTER 2 hours. the point i'm making is that for blood sugar to go that high, insulin is going to have to be released to make it go back down, so i'm not sure what the missing piece is here, because for sure my blood sugar goes that high.

i'm not saying i don't do it, i still do it, but i will try to eat more fruits than i would cokes.

Jayfish

i don't know, i might be lacking minerals or something, but when i drink coke and eat beef together, my blood sugar will go very, very high after eating it. i'm talking like 250+ blood sugar levels. of course, it goes back down after 2 hours, and i know ray has said the number when you first eat doesn't matter, what really matters is AFTER 2 hours. the point i'm making is that for blood sugar to go that high, insulin is going to have to be released to make it go back down, so i'm not sure what the missing piece is here, because for sure my blood sugar goes that high.

i'm not saying i don't do it, i still do it, but i will try to eat more fruits than i would cokes.

Protein is as or more insulinogenic than most carbs.

J

James IV

Protein is as or more insulinogenic than most carbs.

Definitely. If you're trying to keep insulin in check, drop your protein. IMO Protein should be the lowest percentage of macros in almost everyone.

jyb

Definitely. If you're trying to keep insulin in check, drop your protein. IMO Protein should be the lowest percentage of macros in almost everyone.

But the blood glucose remains completely stable when the insulin is due to a protein meal (except in diabetes, when it elevates abnormally). Not all increases in insulin are ominous. If you do want to minimise insulin, no way you should drink milk or casein, though...

Last edited:
J

James IV

But the blood glucose remains completely stable when the insulin is due to a protein meal (except in diabetes, when it elevates abnormally). Not all increases in insulin are ominous. If you do want to minimise insulin, no way you should drink milk or casein, though...

Yes. I wasn't referring to blood sugar, just insulin.

jyb

Yes. I wasn't referring to blood sugar, just insulin.

Why would you want to minimise insulin anyway, assuming your aim is to promote glycosis and kill lipolysis throughout the day? (Not my aim btw, but usually what people are achieving here.)

J

James IV

Why would you want to minimise insulin anyway, assuming your aim is to promote glycosis and kill lipolysis throughout the day? (Not my aim btw, but usually what people are trying to achieve.)

That's up to the individual. I'm only saying that if lowering overall insulin level is your goal, then focusing more on (animal) protein intake, rather than carbohydrate intake, is likely more warranted.

jyb

That's up to the individual. I'm only saying that if lowering overall insulin level is your goal, then focusing more on (animal) protein intake, rather than carbohydrate intake, is likely more warranted.

If lowering insulin is your goal...? Then eat fat and promote beta oxidation, zero insulin involved.

J

James IV

If lowering insulin is your goal...? Then eat fat and promote beta oxidation, zero insulin involved.

Just because fat generally doesn't require insulin to be metabolized, doesn't necessarily mean more fat will decrease overall insulin levels.

jyb

Just because fat generally doesn't require insulin to be metabolized, doesn't necessarily mean more fat will decrease overall insulin levels.

No, because of the rest of the diet. But hypothetically if you were promoting beta oxidation, you could drive insulin variations to zero, completely stable at the baseline.

J

James IV

No, because of the rest of the diet. But hypothetically if you were promoting beta oxidation, you could drive insulin change to zero.

Hypothetically, if I grew wings, I could fly. But then my shirts wouldn't fit. There's always a trade off.

jyb

Hypothetically, if I grew wings, I could fly. But then my shirts wouldn't fit. There's always a trade off.

That I didn't mean it in that way. I mean in a practical way - if you were eating fat and using it (which you can't if the rest is promoting insulin too much), then you could lower insulin to the baseline all day long. I'm not saying anything special. Just compare insulin response to cream, casein and glucose.

J

James IV

That I didn't mean it in that way. I mean in a practical way - if you were eating fat and using it (which you can't if the rest is promoting insulin too much), then you could lower insulin to the baseline all day long.

The only way that would be true is if you were eating a pure fat diet. And even if that were possible, your fasting insulin would eventually raise due to lower glucose availability.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals